• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR HST's

Status
Not open for further replies.

BShift

Good Afternoon,

I'm new to the forum. I just had a question regarding GWR's Class 43 that run from Penzance to Plymouth. Are these being phased out soon and being replaced by more 802s?

I love the comfy seats in the HSTs so not looking forward to the day when they no longer with us!

Cheers Guys

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

No. They should be around for at least this decade I'd imagine given how much was invested in modifying the doors on the carriages. Think it's only a couple of years since the first ones were in use now.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I assume you're talking about the short sets formed of 2 class 43s and 4 coaches modified to have sliding doors? If so, they're staying with Great Western, though I don't know if they are staying on that route. (I imagine they probably will)

There aren't any of the original long slam door HSTs left now anywhere in the country, except for a few in the east midlands.

BShift

I assume you're talking about the short sets formed of 2 class 43s and 4 coaches modified to have sliding doors? If so, they're staying with Great Western, though I don't know if they are staying on that route. (I imagine they probably will)

There aren't any of the original long slam door HSTs left now anywhere in the country, except for a few in the east midlands.
Yeh the short formed ones that only run from Penzance to Plymouth I believe? Thanks for the info :)

No. They should be around for at least this decade I'd imagine given how much was invested in modifying the doors on the carriages. Think it's only a couple of years since the first ones were in use now.
Ah ok, that's good we'll be seeing them for a while longer yet then! Thanks for your reply

geoffk

Established Member
Are they running east of Plymouth? I imagine they will go well over the South Devon banks. I'm moving to Exeter soon so will see them. I've refrained from calling them Half Size Trains!

Mack91

The 2+4 HST sets are known as '255 Castle Class' sets, with many of the powercars receiving names that are of Castles in the area(s) they operate in.

They are designed for local work in the South West. This covers Bristol into South Wales, and Bristol into Devon and Cornwall.

The first services using them in this formation were in 2018/19, and I believe there are still a couple of refurbishments to be completed. They will be around for a long while yet :D

BShift

Thanks for all the info guys!

Wonder when they'll replace the Class 57 on the sleeper service? You would think they would want a Bi Mode train running into Pad these days. Any thoughts?

Mack91

Wonder when they'll replace the Class 57 on the sleeper service? You would think they would want a Bi Mode train running into Pad these days. Any thoughts?
I can't see that changing anytime soon either; there hasn't been mention of GWR putting out a tender for a replacement.

Does anybody know if the idea of fitting the Mk III stock with the guard-operated locks on the droplights ever happened?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Thanks for all the info guys!

Nothing before the end of the current Direct Award Franchise which runs until March 2023. Welcome to the Forum but this is a topic that has been done to death on the Forum for several years with an emphatic 57s will stay particularly due to contractual issues.

Last edited:

BShift

Nothing before the end of the current Direct Award Franchise which runs until March 2023. Welcome to the Forum but this is a topic that has been done to death on the Forum for several years with an emphatic 57s will stay particularly due to contractual issues.
Apologies! I tried searching but couldnt find anything relating to the topic.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Apologies! I tried searching but couldnt find anything relating to the topic.
Here you go:

BShift

MatthewRead

On Moderation
Good Afternoon,

I'm new to the forum. I just had a question regarding GWR's Class 43 that run from Penzance to Plymouth. Are these being phased out soon and being replaced by more 802s?

I love the comfy seats in the HSTs so not looking forward to the day when they no longer with us!

Cheers Guys
They aren't very comfortable not like the old East Midlands ones that were recently withdrawn.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Do the castle sets ever go to Paignton? I think I saw a few 4 car slam door sets go there but not any modified ones
I don't remember there being any booked services to Paignton in the pre-COVID diagrams but that could have changed

Do the castle sets ever go to Paignton? I think I saw a few 4 car slam door sets go there but not any modified ones

Very briefly a diagram a while back I think but vanished when the timetable was recast. The train may have involved Bristol/Cardiff and tied into the Taunton circuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.