• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR in North Pole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

andyb2706

All I can think of with them being light engine moves is route learning moves for the drivers in an out of North Pole depot.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
X
All I can think of with them being light engine moves is route learning moves for the drivers in an out of North Pole depot.

Will be required for the Hayes and Harlington EMU service ECS moves, so it makes sense to learn the route in advance of the stock arriving.

MikeHoward940

I think it has something to do with the new Class 800 electric units which are heading for GWR and are being stored in North Pole Depot until required.

I have hear that North Pole is to be the London Base for these units when they start operating.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I think it has something to do with the new Class 800 electric units which are heading for GWR and are being stored in North Pole Depot until required.

I have hear that North Pole is to be the London Base for these units when they start operating.

Well yes it is, but well before that happens (with the first bi-mode IEPs not being delivered until next year, and the all electric IEPs not starting until Feb 2018) it is also known to be the base for the 387/1s being introduced on Hayes and Harlington services in just 2 months time, as seen in RTT and mentioned in the GW electrification thread a few days ago.

387 training and route clearance operations on the GW, based at North Pole, are due to start in only a few weeks, in early April.

Does this mean that drivers can get the route knowledge without necessarily being trained on the stock used for the route learning move?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Does this mean that drivers can get the route knowledge without necessarily being trained on the stock used for the route learning move?

Yes. As you are probably aware route knowledge can also be maintained by cab rides in other TOC's trains. In this sort of case it is a very short length of new tracks, the drivers in question will already know the main line, it is just the depot entry that is new.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
It's either a train being transferred from EMT to SWT or it's a Network Rail sprinter type test train.
That's my guess.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Maybe you're right. I was just going by the "timed for 100mph Class 158" claim.
Although I know these are often non existant or otherwise wrong.
Like I said I was guessing.

randyrippley

Established Member
turn the question on its head............what is there on test at Old Dalby at the moment that would need servicing at North Pole?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I was thinking more along the lines of a Class 800 in diesel mode, but am not sure myself hence why I'm asking.

There's no real need to raise a new thread every time you have a question about IEPs and North Pole. There won't be sectional running times for the route specifically for an IEP, and might never be.

Delivery runs between works and TOC depots are often done under a random traction type that is reasonably near what is needed or wanted.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Hi all,

Is this driver training into North Pole for 166 Drivers?

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/V12177/2016/04/05/advanced

Thanks,
Leo

No, it will be training for drivers that will be using North Pole that happens to be being undertaken in a 165/6 this time. Rather than using a light loco in the question you posed the other day.

You have to train using what is available today, not necessarily what the eventual traction based there will be, e.g. 387s.

D1009

Established Member
There's no real need to raise a new thread every time you have a question about IEPs and North Pole. There won't be sectional running times for the route specifically for an IEP, and might never be.
The OP has made it clear he didn't know what the train was. However the question has already been asked in the Class 800 thread. As the train number is 5X80, which is the same as last Friday's movement, and it has now been cancelled, the chances are that it was the original schedule for that movement.

455driver

Veteran Member
Maybe you're right. I was just going by the "timed for 100mph Class 158" claim.
Although I know these are often non existant or otherwise wrong.
Like I said I was guessing.

158s are 90mph units.

Last edited:

leomartin125

The OP has made it clear he didn't know what the train was. However the question has already been asked in the Class 800 thread. As the train number is 5X80, which is the same as last Friday's movement, and it has now been cancelled, the chances are that it was the original schedule for that movement.

So do you know if it could be rescheduled? Or is it an issue with the 800's like what occured recently at Huntingdon?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
So do you know if it could be rescheduled? Or is it an issue with the 800's like what occured recently at Huntingdon?

Yes of course it can be rescheduled. Changes to moves in the early weeks of new stock introduction are commonplace. STP paths are applied for and cancelled routinely, and often the same service ID, 5X80 in this case, will be used repeatedly for months as and when needed.

Was there really an 'issue' with the train at Huntingdon, or did it simply get looped to get it out of the way of a late running passenger service. As a Class 5 it is a lower priority, it isn't necessarily indicative of a problem at all.

leomartin125

Yes of course it can be rescheduled. Changes to moves in the early weeks of new stock introduction are commonplace. STP paths are applied for and cancelled routinely, and often the same service ID, 5X80 in this case, will be used repeatedly for months as and when needed.

Was there really an 'issue' with the train at Huntingdon, or did it simply get looped to get it out of the way of a late running passenger service. As a Class 5 it is a lower priority, it isn't necessarily indicative of a problem at all.

I see. But I thought that the issue at Huntingdon was the fact that they tried running the unit under electric power through the pantograph but this failed and they had to resort to diesel power for the rest of the journey from Huntingdon? It was timed as a DMU so I would have thought that they never intended to use the electric power anyway and the reason it was delayed was because of a late running passenger service like you said.

Class377/5

Established Member
Let's not forget Bombardier will be maintaining the 387/1 at North Pole once they arrive until Reading is ready.

leomartin125

Let's not forget Bombardier will be maintaining the 387/1 at North Pole once they arrive until Reading is ready.

Reading is ready... the train care centre has been ready for a few years now. It's the line that isn't ready, and that's up to Crossrail between Airport Jct and Maidenhead, and up to NR between Maidenhead and Reading.

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
Reading is ready... the train care centre has been ready for a few years now. It's the line that isn't ready, and that's up to Crossrail between Airport Jct and Maidenhead, and up to NR between Maidenhead and Reading.

You sure Reading is actually ready ?

D1009

Established Member
I see. But I thought that the issue at Huntingdon was the fact that they tried running the unit under electric power through the pantograph but this failed and they had to resort to diesel power for the rest of the journey from Huntingdon? It was timed as a DMU so I would have thought that they never intended to use the electric power anyway and the reason it was delayed was because of a late running passenger service like you said.
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear enough earlier. I don't know for sure, but my suggestion is that it was effectively a delivery move following testing at Old Dalby originally scheduled for 0001 yesterday. Subsequently this was brought forward to last Friday daytime, and the run was filmed passing Knebworth running on diesel, and is available on Youtube. The original schedule should then have been cancelled but wasn't until sometime yesterday. The train would have to run on diesel mode from Old Dalby to Peterborough, and there was no reason to change mode.

Last edited:

leomartin125

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear enough earlier. I don't know for sure, but my suggestion is that it was effectively a delivery move following testing at Old Dalby originally scheduled for 0001 yesterday. Subsequently this was brought forward to last Friday daytime, and the run was filmed passing Knebworth running on diesel, and is available on Youtube. The original schedule should then have been cancelled but wasn't until sometime yesterday. The train would have to run on diesel mode from Old Dalby to Peterborough, and there was no reason to change mode.

Thank you. That makes sense, sorry for dragging this on for so long and thanks for the information. Case closed.

jimm

Established Member

Ready? Hardly. There is the not exactly minor matter of the overhead wires at Reading depot not actually being connected to a power supply, because the nearest electricity feeder points for the GW project are in London and Didcot.

Which is why the first GWR 387s will be maintained at North Pole depot for the time being, alongside the fact that Reading depot is busy looking after the Turbos and won't be able to take on much emu work until the Turbos start to transfer to Bristol.

Status
Not open for further replies.