• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Infrastructure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dazza3732

Hi.
The GWR mainline from Exeter St Davids down to Penzance does it still have semaphore signalling and Absolute block sections or is it all colour light TCB now??

Many thanks Darren.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harbornite

Established Member
Hi.
The GWR mainline from Exeter St Davids down to Penzance does it still have semaphore signalling and Absolute block sections or is it all colour light TCB now??

Many thanks Darren.

There are semaphores in the Par area.

455driver

Veteran Member
Lots of semaphores and lots of AB as well.

It starts at Liskeard and extends down to St Erth.

Dazza3732

Cheers.

On Absolute block, if your train fails is it emergency protection or just assistance protection?

Haven't been down there for a while. Signal boxes with semaphores still open, Penzance, St Erth, Roskear Junct (controls level crossing, and cctv crossing at Camborne Stn (plunger on up platform before coloured light signal) Truro, Par, [Newquay branch - St Blazey, (2 cctv crossings) Goonbarrow Junction] Lostwithiel, Liskeard.

Railsigns

Established Member
Haven't been down there for a while. Signal boxes with semaphores still open, Penzance, St Erth, Roskear Junct (controls level crossing, and cctv crossing at Camborne Stn (plunger on up platform before coloured light signal) Truro, Par, [Newquay branch - St Blazey, (2 cctv crossings) Goonbarrow Junction] Lostwithiel, Liskeard.

Not Penzance.

julianblack

I was there in late 1981/early 1982 as they were installing the colour light signals. That was only a couple of years ago, wasn't it??

Johnuk123

Established Member
You wouldn't think in this day and age the railway would STILL have little arms on posts that go up and down, so incredibly antiquated.

coppercapped

Established Member
You wouldn't think in this day and age the railway would STILL have little arms on posts that go up and down, so incredibly antiquated.
Have you thought about why this might be the case?

(Low traffic density, earnings/train not being very high, longevity of mechanical signalling, and so on...?)

(That modern business of air transport still uses men holding little bats to guide aeroplanes, even more antiquated...)

Johnuk123

Established Member
Have you thought about why this might be the case?
(Low traffic density, earnings/train not being very high, longevity of mechanical signalling, and so on...?)

We've had colour lights since way before WW11 we shouldn't still be using them, they are from a time of horse and carts.

sciisfun

(That modern business of air transport still uses men holding little bats to guide aeroplanes, even more antiquated...)

Apart from when they use cars with boards that say follow me!
17175494-Follow-me-car-on-airport-Stock-Photo.jpg

not my image, just one of the first of google

The Planner

Veteran Member
We've had colour lights since way before WW11 we shouldn't still be using them, they are from a time of horse and carts.

So if its old we shouldnt use it? Even if it works and has no justification currently to be replaced?

455driver

Veteran Member
So if its old we shouldnt use it? Even if it works and has no justification currently to be replaced?

Thats me out of work then! :lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Cheers.

On Absolute block, if your train fails is it emergency protection or just assistance protection?
Contact controlling signal box and act on instructions, we do have GSM-R you know! ;)

Johncleesefan

Nowt wrong with semaphore and ab. No point investing millions to upgrade unless its proving unreliable or the section is being upgraded.

Dazza3732

Contact controlling signal box and act on instructions, we do have GSM-R you know! ;)[/QUOTE]

Cheers :) but sometimes the pesky GSM-R can put you through to the wrong box..

XDM

Are dazzler & 455 the same. I know there is only one correct answer,
But exactly the same words including the!

455driver

Veteran Member
Cheers :) but sometimes the pesky GSM-R can put you through to the wrong box..
We have a few areas where we can get any one of 3 signalboxes, what waswl wrong with CSR which told you (with the area code) which signalboxes you were connected too.

Last edited:

ComUtoR

Established Member
Er... GSMR will tell you which signaller it connects to. Also, you should, with good route knowledge, know which is the correct Signaller you need to talk to. Mostly they follow the old CSR area codes so when the area changes so does the box/panel. You should also have a clue by the signal plate. I have a map of the GSMR panel numbers for my TOC area.

455driver

Veteran Member
Are dazzler & 455 the same. I know there is only one correct answer,
But exactly the same words including the!
do you mean the fact that dazzler has got the quote of my previous post wrong so it looks like we have posted exactly the same thing?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.