• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Intercity Express Train (IEP) initial diagrams & allocations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Charlie M.

Although not this week - at present it is a HST again which is nice! (Newbury blockade once again - so treat normal diagrams with a pinch of salt)

yes was going to say that as I use it at least once a week and the other day it was formed of 7 coaches with 1 coach L and 2 coach Ks - one with a buffet. I waited for the next service and changed at Parkway. It is a service that defiantly needs the capacity of an IET.

D1009

Established Member
Would anyone be able to confirm the 08.18 Pad-Pai on this coming Saturday, I know it's early but I'm off this week and could risk getting a rover to cover the Chippenham-Westbury section for a 800
Info on RTT suggests that 1C75 0818 Padd to Paignton is formed by a 3C75 ECS from St Philips Marsh, and 1C78 1018 Padd to Paignton is formed by a 3C78 ECS from Landore, so looks like no IETs in Devon this week.

Info on RTT suggests that 1C75 0818 Padd to Paignton is formed by a 3C75 ECS from St Philips Marsh, and 1C78 1018 Padd to Paignton is formed by a 3C78 ECS from Landore, so looks like no IETs in Devon this week.

Ok thanks

Charlie M.

I see 1G60 is a 5 carriage 800.
I was on it. It is the peak one out of Paddington, and was more than enough seats on my journey from Didcot to Gloucester. Gave time for more ticket checks and the trolley to atcually get through.

I approve of 5 cars on the line. Off peak, of course, Mon to Fri and 9 cars on Sat as lesure travel is high on the line.

D1009

Established Member
I was on it. It is the peak one out of Paddington, and was more than enough seats on my journey from Didcot to Gloucester. Gave time for more ticket checks and the trolley to atcually get through.

I approve of 5 cars on the line. Off peak, of course, Mon to Fri and 9 cars on Sat as lesure travel is high on the line.
Many peak trains out of London are quieter than usual at this time of year.

Pete_uk

Established Member
Hi Charlie M, yes the 5 carriages off peak are ideal. I think the line through Stroud is lucky to have the number of services it has to London.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

I'm currently on 1C75 - it's an IET.

Mintona

Established Member
Hi Charlie M, yes the 5 carriages off peak are ideal. I think the line through Stroud is lucky to have the number of services it has to London.

I mean, 1tp2h is just about the worst possible ‘regular’ service to have, but sure. It is ‘lucky’ than two towns the size of Gloucester and Cheltenham manage a train every couple of hours to the capital

cactustwirly

Established Member
I mean, 1tp2h is just about the worst possible ‘regular’ service to have, but sure. It is ‘lucky’ than two towns the size of Gloucester and Cheltenham manage a train every couple of hours to the capital

But they have an hourly train to Swindon, so it isn't too bad.

Charlie M.

But they have an hourly train to Swindon, so it isn't too bad.

May 19 1tph direct, and NR want a 2tph frequency on the line.

They also want electrification of Bristol to Birmingham and Gloucester resignalling is scheduled for 2021. They also wanted a CP8 electrification between Swindon and Kemble, however does not seem likely atm.

Agdron

Can Confirm that 1C75 08:18 was an IET. Down by the line side to see it.

jimm

Established Member
May 19 1tph direct, and NR want a 2tph frequency on the line.

They also want electrification of Bristol to Birmingham and Gloucester resignalling is scheduled for 2021. They also wanted a CP8 electrification between Swindon and Kemble, however does not seem likely atm.

Network Rail does not 'want' anything - when functioning as the strategic planning body for the railways, its role is to assess the situation looking forward and set out options to meet predicted future demand in its Route Study documents - it is then up to others, notably the DfT, to decide what they actually want to do/pay for.

I would take any forecast dates for resignalling projects with a bucketload of salt at the moment - Oxford has just been completed, a job that was supposed to have been finished three years ago. The Derby project later this year was meant to be completed in 2016.

Until there is actual real-world experience, over an extended period, of how passengers are using the 1tph London-Gloucester/Cheltenham service, no one will be rushing to double it. Instead there may well be a more incremental process, as seen on the Cotswold Line over many years now, giving a gradual increase in frequency.

spark001uk

Established Member
Quick one - what's the latest on IET allocation now, are they starting to appear on all routes (except the west country) now? I ask as I'm planning a FOSW rover later this month, and was wondering where we're at in general. I did see a few on Cotswolds the other day when I was over Reading way, and a Cheltenham or two I think.
Apologies if it's buried somewhere, I did look a few pages back, and the OP only shows last Oct/Nov. Cheers.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Quick one - what's the latest on IET allocation now, are they starting to appear on all routes (except the west country) now? I ask as I'm planning a FOSW rover later this month, and was wondering where we're at in general. I did see a few on Cotswolds the other day when I was over Reading way, and a Cheltenham or two I think.
Apologies if it's buried somewhere, I did look a few pages back, and the OP only shows last Oct/Nov. Cheers.

They are on all routes, except Plymouth & Penzance.
From my casual observations they seem to operate roughly 3/4 of services.
The vast majority of services through Swindon are IETs

spark001uk

Established Member
OK thanks. Where do they switch power now, Swindon?

JN114

Established Member
OK thanks. Where do they switch power now, Swindon?

Didcot still in theory - Without looking through the notices I can’t recall whether the restriction on Electric for down trains NOT calling Didcot is still in force.

Swindon on Electric won’t be until September / Autumn at least.

spark001uk

Established Member
Didcot still in theory - Without looking through the notices I can’t recall whether the restriction on Electric for down trains NOT calling Didcot is still in force.

Swindon on Electric won’t be until September / Autumn at least.
Funny you should say that, I was about to say I swear one or two westbounds were on the engines at Reading the other day, heading Didcot way.

nicjoynson

To confirm, are IETs working some or all of the Paignton weekday diagrams yet? I see they've made the SO jobs but I've seen nothing to suggest Paignton SX... yet.

Nic

D1009

Established Member
To confirm, are IETs working some or all of the Paignton weekday diagrams yet? I see they've made the SO jobs but I've seen nothing to suggest Paignton SX... yet.

Nic
No. The only passenger workings west of Taunton have been the 0818 Paddington to Paignton and return on Saturday, which started last Saturday.

Does anyone know the next projected date of South Wales to London diversions via Lydney and Stroud are scheduled to be please

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I’m sure services are diverting via Patchway and using the Bristol avoiding loop towards Bath then rejoining the route at Swindon?

You're right, my mistake. There is a big possession from the end of October to 18th November but details seem difficult to find at the moment

cambsy

On Moderation
The diversionary routes are Swindon-Golden Valley-Gloucester-Newport, or Swindon-Bath=Rhubarb Curve-Doctor Days Junction-Filton-Newport, think its mainly non stop over both diversionary routes.
-

Status
Not open for further replies.