• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Intercity Express Train (IEP) initial diagrams & allocations

Status
Not open for further replies.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Yes, but not Fainsa like we’re used to in the UK, like the ironing boards (which I quite like actually)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Envoy

Established Member
Anyone know Sunday workings as that is the only day that has more frequent services through to Carmarthen?

Anyone know Sunday workings as that is the only day that has more frequent services through to Carmarthen?
Don't think there is anything for Carmarthen yet. Announced diagrams are all Bristol on weekends

Many thanks 50031.
This is from the listing in Todays Railways. Not sure if these are yet confirmed by GWR. Swansea workings feature Monday to Friday. No Saturday workings till 28th October

FGW_DID

Established Member
Mainly Paddington & Bristol TM runs to start with on the Sundays. Commencing 19th November there’s a Swansea service but no further. Also one trip to Weston SM.

Last edited:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Good. I hope Turbo days on the Cotswold line are numbered. I saw a two car 165 doing a London - Worcester service the other day.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Well, they’ve not even started yet, but yes they will soon begin. Hopefully not two cars though! Save those for Thames Valley Branches.

D1009

Established Member
IET Saturday only LTP diagrams start 28th October 2017 to 9th Dec 2017. There are 8 diagrams (4x 10 car).
That suggests that from 28th Oct there will be 8 diagrams on Saturdays but only 4 on Mondays to Fridays. From what has been posted earlier the additional 4 SX diagrams don't start until 13th November. Something wrong somewhere perhaps?

Clarence Yard

Established Member
Looks like an uploading error. Somebody has got the date wrong for the four additional sets in November!

FGW_DID

Established Member
That suggests that from 28th Oct there will be 8 diagrams on Saturdays but only 4 on Mondays to Fridays. From what has been posted earlier the additional 4 SX diagrams don't start until 13th November. Something wrong somewhere perhaps?

You are correct, having just had a further look the period covered by the diagrams is as quoted but only the first 4 SO diagrams commence on the 28th Oct and the following 4 commence on the 18th November!

I'll go and amend my previous post as well!

tgrb

Well let's hope the "emergency" engineering work @ reading this weekend doesn't turn the first 800 diagram on Monday morning into a bus!!!

D1009

Established Member
Looking at an RTT line up for Bristol Parkway on Monday 16th, some STP ECS moves have been input between SPM and Bristol Parkway, and also Stoke Gifford and Bristol Parkway which suggests to me that a number of Padd Cardiff trains will be terminating/starting at Bristol Parkway, in fact one passenger train, 1L82 1655 Cardiff to Padd has already been so amended. This is rather strange as the ECS for it is shown from Stoke Gifford, suggesting it will be an IET, but it is not on the IET diagrams. Whether the alterations are related to IET introduction I have no idea.

D1009

Established Member
Further to this, just checked the GWR website, and there are service reductions and journey time extensions all day Monday to Friday in South Wales due to engineering work. Presumably this also comes under the description of "emergency".

spark001uk

Established Member
So what are we saying then, could Monday's two diagrams be in some doubt now?

leomartin125

Both classes. 9 car only of cl.802.

Don't think that's the case based on what a certain Mr Clinnick has posted on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/Clinnick1/status/918475679125131266

Clearly shows driving car from 800305 inside Newton Aycliffe. In GWR Colours in fact! And this forms part of a 9 car Class 800. I reckon these 9 car 800's will work the Hereford, Swansea, Carmarthern and Exeter St David trains (as well as Cheltenham Spa) , though ultimately that's up to what's available when the time comes for these to be delivered. There is a very nice 9 car Class 800 at Doncaster Carr right now in fact, also in GWR green.

leomartin125

Thanks for the info.
And are they going to be taking AC between Maidenhead and Pad as far as you know?

That's the plan. Changeover at speed at Maidenhead, both directions. Diesel onwards West of Maidenhead. The OLE isn't ready yet between Maidenhead and Reading TCD, and requires a lot of testing still to be ready for January 2018, and that's what this weekend's blockade is all about.

Also, you may notice, none of the IET workings are due into P1 at Paddington. I'm guessing this is to ensure the train is in electric mode whilst in the station, but as we know, this cannot be guaranteed. (P1 still being uncompleted with cables)

D1009

Established Member
So what are we saying then, could Monday's two diagrams be in some doubt now?

Only in so far that the pdf below states that there will be service reductions and extended journey times on GWR between Newport and Cardiff ALL DAY Monday to Friday nest week. From what I deduce from RTT it looks as though the off peak Padd to Cardiff services will not be running west of Bristol Parkway. This will affect everything whether HST or IET. The Swansea services look to be running through with extended journey times and therefore reduced turnrounds at Swansea.

Attachments

• Week 29 Saturday 14 to Friday 20 October.pdf
    183 KB · Views: 64

Clarence Yard

Established Member
Don't think that's the case based on what a certain Mr Clinnick has posted on Twitter:

Clearly shows driving car from 800305 inside Newton Aycliffe. In GWR Colours in fact! And this forms part of a 9 car Class 800. I reckon these 9 car 800's will work the Hereford, Swansea, Carmarthern and Exeter St David trains (as well as Cheltenham Spa) , though ultimately that's up to what's available when the time comes for these to be delivered. There is a very nice 9 car Class 800 at Doncaster Carr right now in fact, also in GWR green.

Do think it is the case - the 2018 diagrams sit on my desk. Both classes (800 and 802) work the Cheltenham’s, the 800 in various formations but only the 9 car version of the 802 is currently diagrammed to do so. The 5 car 802 sets don’t.

Mintona

Established Member

You do like to jump in before letting information digest. Try reading posts and replies properly before rudely butting in to someone who knows what they are talking about.

Last edited:

Nippy

Also, you may notice, none of the IET workings are due into P1 at Paddington. I'm guessing this is to ensure the train is in electric mode whilst in the station, but as we know, this cannot be guaranteed. (P1 still being uncompleted with cables)

Really? Platform 1 at Paddington is electrified, I put a 387 in there last Sunday, and have put numerous 800s in it with them in electric mode.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Of relevance, Ian Prosser tweeted earlier that this morning he signed off the class 800 as fit for service, so as of today they are now certified to carry paying passengers.

spark001uk

Established Member
Only in so far that the pdf below states that there will be service reductions and extended journey times on GWR between Newport and Cardiff ALL DAY Monday to Friday nest week. From what I deduce from RTT it looks as though the off peak Padd to Cardiff services will not be running west of Bristol Parkway. This will affect everything whether HST or IET. The Swansea services look to be running through with extended journey times and therefore reduced turnrounds at Swansea.
Just delved a bit further into it on RTT, (with just the two IET diagrams in mind), and as far as I can see:
1B28, 1B40 and 1L76 are all running to their usual times (valid 16 Oct to 08 Dec),
1L51 has a one-off (16th Oct only) timing, however the only difference is a minute's pathing allowance at Ladbroke Grove,
1L90 also has a one-off (16th Oct only) timing, and the only difference on that one is there's a couple more minutes wait at Didcot.

D1009

Established Member
Just delved a bit further into it on RTT, (with just the two IET diagrams in mind), and as far as I can see:
1B28, 1B40 and 1L76 are all running to their usual times (valid 16 Oct to 08 Dec),
1L51 has a one-off (16th Oct only) timing, however the only difference is a minute's pathing allowance at Ladbroke Grove,
1L90 also has a one-off (16th Oct only) timing, and the only difference on that one is there's a couple more minutes wait at Didcot.
I was going on the STP ECS moves which have input from the depots at St Philips Marsh and Stoke Gifford to Bristol Parkway, whose numbers relate to the off peak Cardiff to Paddington services. These are usually the first ones to be cancelled or amended in the event of disruption. My suspicion is that the passenger train alterations have not yet been uploaded to the internal systems and thus do not appear on RTT, probably because of internal arguments going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.