• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Intercity Express Train (IEP) initial diagrams & allocations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Could anyone please tell me if I could get on IEP from Taunton? And what times thxs

Thunderer

what diagram was that on..and was it running alone..or coupled up to another unit?
800010 was working with 800012 today and looking at Real Time trains for its various diagrams, there is no suggestion of bad timekeeping (which you would associate with 2 or more engines not working) - its first diagram today was 06:45 Paddington - Swansea then 10:29 Swansea - Paddington. It was then diagrammed for a run to Cardiff and back.

Last edited:

Thunderer

Could anyone please tell me if I could get on IEP from Taunton? And what times thxs
IET /IEP's are not currently scheduled to run to/from Taunton on advertised diagrams at the moment. Your best bet is to go north to Bristol Temple Meads and you will find a few working Paddington services from there.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
IET /IEP's are not currently scheduled to run to/from Taunton on advertised diagrams at the moment. Your best bet is to go north to Bristol Temple Meads and you will find a few working Paddington services from there.

Yes they are as from today. Go to the first Post to see the diagrams and confirmed that it was a pair of IEPs tonight.

Sean Emmett

I can confirm that Weston Milton has had its first visit from an IET in public service. Now on the return.

Re 800 012 / 010Thunderer - of course I am aware the end cars don't have engines!

Only some very good starts avoided significant loss of time on their first up run.

They only got up to 85 mph at Badminton on both up runs.

Sean Emmett

To clarify - yesterday's 10.29 SWA PAD with 800 012 and 800 010 had 2 engines out on 010 i.e. only one working on that unit, four in total.

Door probs at Port Talbot caused 21 min late dep from CDF. Only lost a furthet minute to Swindon, where I alighted, due to clear road and skilfull driving. But note that Didcot stop was missed out

Later run on 16.56 ex CDF had slower starts and stops and was loising time well before the signalling problems at Wootton Bassett.

SwindonBert

Looking medium / longer term, have GWR announced which routes will be a single train & which will be double. I know there's the Bristol route that splits at Swindon (without being timetabled to stop here) the which will be 2.
I'm thinking the Cheltenham trains especially

The47Wanderer

Looking medium / longer term, have GWR announced which routes will be a single train & which will be double. I know there's the Bristol route that splits at Swindon (without being timetabled to stop here) the which will be 2.
I'm thinking the Cheltenham trains especially

Cheltenham will always be (should always be) 2x5 car (10 coaches) or 1x9 car (9 coaches) as far as I'm aware has been reported elsehere

Clarence Yard

Established Member
Until the "December 2018" enhanced timetable is in, they should be 9 cars. From "December 2018" they will be a mix of 5, 9 or 10, depending on time of day and if they sort out Gloucester for 10 car working.

In the "December 2018" timetable there is no splitting and joining at Swindon.

D1009

Established Member
To clarify - yesterday's 10.29 SWA PAD with 800 012 and 800 010 had 2 engines out on 010 i.e. only one working on that unit, four in total.

Door probs at Port Talbot caused 21 min late dep from CDF. Only lost a furthet minute to Swindon, where I alighted, due to clear road and skilfull driving. But note that Didcot stop was missed out

Later run on 16.56 ex CDF had slower starts and stops and was loising time well before the signalling problems at Wootton Bassett.
I was on 800012/800010 today on 1229 Swansea to Padd, all engines working and the speed at Badminton was 96 mph.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
Too short, surely? There is a 9/10 car stop board on platform 2, but I guess this would put the rear of the train in advance of G133 for changing ends.

Yes, thanks for the correction - senior moment!

There is a bit of a discussion going on now about the use of these platforms.

D1009

Established Member
I can confirm that Weston Milton has had its first visit from an IET in public service. Now on the return.
Not sure whether this has come up on any of the IET related threads, but not only was that the first IET to convey paying passengers west of Bristol, but on the return it was the first one conveying passengers {probably not very many given the hour) through Melksham, Trowbridge and Newbury.

D1009

Established Member
I'm a little confused about 1C24 1730 Paddington to Taunton. Realtime Trains shows a 5C24 1925 Bristol TM to Stoke Gifford, which indicates to me that the train is supposed to split at Bristol TM, however when I observed it at Taunton last night, it was a full 10 car formation.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Detach and attach in service is not currently happening while Agility iron out some minor issues.

D1009

Established Member
No attaching/detaching at Bristol TM permitted until sorted
OK leaving aside the temporary problems with attaching and detaching in service, what was actually supposed to happen if the 1730 Padd - Taunton detached a set at Bristol TM which returned to the depot? Presumably the 2129 Taunton to Paddington wouldn't have been a 5 car set all the way as that would have caused an imbalance in the number of sets finishing at London and Bristol.

Status
Not open for further replies.