• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR January Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitzer

On the website traintickets.com they are promoting January Sale Advance tickets for GWR. e.g Exeter to Weston Super Mare £8 single
However I don't think this is traintickets.com doing the sale (as they earn money via commision) but wouldn't it be GWR? On asking twitter GWR though they said unless it was on GWR.com nothing to do with them, so I am confused.

I have googled the Jan Sale and nothing comes up? ANy thoughts.
Screenshot 2021-12-23 170319.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alistairlees

Established Member
The January sale of GWR tickets is open to all retailers - so, as well as GWR.com, all independent retailers and also all TOCs which are retailers of GWR tickets. It uses different ticket types (AVL I think is one), but otherwise there is nothing unusual here. Except that GWR's social media team are confused.

bitzer

The January sale of GWR tickets is open to all retailers - so, as well as GWR.com, all independent retailers and also all TOCs which are retailers of GWR tickets. It uses different ticket types (AVL I think is one), but otherwise there is nothing unusual here. Except that GWR's social media team are confused.
If i put in the same details into gwr.com ir shows as £16 instead of £8 (can only use gwr as have some evouchers to use)

alistairlees

Established Member
If i put in the same details into gwr.com ir shows as £16 instead of £8 (can only use gwr as have some evouchers to use)
I am not saying that the sale is yet open. Just that that is the plan. But for January, assuming that Covid is not too bad.

They could be these (although I don't know where the name is coming from) - ADVANCE PROMO - EXETER ST DAVIDS to WESTON SUPER MARE - BR Fares.

But RARS is showing no quota for that train.
Yes, that's correct.

Ticket types AVM and AVN, for sale by any retailer in mid January. So these should not currently be showing on any site.

Last edited:

bitzer

I am not saying that the sale is yet open. Just that that is the plan. But for January, assuming that Covid is not too bad.

Yes, that's correct.

Ticket types AVM and AVN, for sale by any retailer in mid January. So these should not currently be showing on any site.
Thank you for the information. I did try to use brfares but couldn't see how to discover what dates are used for the promos. Could I ask how on the system you can determine which dates a promo will be used for please? Would it show a date when these fares would appear on gwr.com?

alistairlees

Established Member
Thank you for the information. I did try to use brfares but couldn't see how to discover what dates are used for the promos. Could I ask how on the system you can determine which dates a promo will be used for please? Would it show a date when these fares would appear on gwr.com?
This information is not available in brfares.com I’m afraid. I don’t think it’s public at the moment, which is why I just said ‘January’. Sorry I cannot help more.

bitzer

This information is not available in brfares.com I’m afraid. I don’t think it’s public at the moment, which is why I just said ‘January’. Sorry I cannot help more.
It's no problem I appreciate the help. Having reread the info on BRfares I am still left asking is there another page/site that maps the various letter codes like AVM, AVN, MDF Advance to real world use / dates / expected use. As it is always tantalising seeing a fare for another frequent route listed at the bottom of the adbance fares for £78 when usually cheapest ever I see is £150.

I understand that these are just fares put into the database and train companies do not have to use them but wondered if anyone had cracked the various codes as to when they might be used.

akm

It's no problem I appreciate the help. Having reread the info on BRfares I am still left asking is there another page/site that maps the various letter codes like AVM, AVN, MDF Advance to real world use / dates / expected use. As it is always tantalising seeing a fare for another frequent route listed at the bottom of the adbance fares for £78 when usually cheapest ever I see is £150.

I understand that these are just fares put into the database and train companies do not have to use them but wondered if anyone had cracked the various codes as to when they might be used.
I doubt that it's a straightforward mapping from code to the "real world use / dates / expected use". For some dates+trains, there might be zero tickets ever available at the cheapest band(s); for others, the cheapest band allocation might be so generous that it remains available up to the booking deadline. The specifics will be down to pricing managers. Now, they might have their own guidelines, but it will always be subject to manual intervention, I would have thought.

Haywain

Veteran Member

With a promotional or sale fare, you wouldn't be helped by knowing the date range of the fare's validity as it is only going to be on sale for a period when a suitable quota of reservations are made available. This might be a couple of separate short periods over a year or more.

Oscar M

Just had a look and the promotional fares appear to be no longer available. There's no confirmation yet as far as I'm aware but I imagine they'll be released sometime in early to mid January.

kieron

Established Member
I don't know if it helps (or if it will change before the tickets appear on gwr.com), but there's some information on the nre.co.uk site for AVM and AVN tickets. It displays MDF as a normal advance tier.

There's no indication of when they will next go on sale, although the fares have been in the system since November. The ticket codes originally became valid on 10/1/2020, but I don't know if that's any guide to what will happen next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.