GWR - Lack of Announcements

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by Essexman, 16 Mar 2019.

1. Essexman

Essexman Member

Generally I think there are too many announcements on trains but this week I travelled from Paddington to Torquay and there were virtually none. Just one after we left Paddington I think.

The automatic ones weren't working, or weren't switched on (they came on after Exeter) and the Train Manager didn't announce stations, even when some coaches weren't platformed. Hence an elderly lady was carried over from Castle Cary and had to be helped by staff at Taunton to get back to her stop.

I was told that it was the driver's job to switch on the announcements. Is this correct? But surely if they are not working the Train Manager should make at least basic ones.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. irish_rail

irish_rail Member

Count yourself lucky. Those automatic announcements on IETs are extremely repetitive and annoying

4. II

II Member

On a 80x, the driver generally logs into the TMS and enters the headcode which generates the automatic announcements and PIS displays. If for some reason that fails there are a range of 'generic' headcodes that can be used. The TM can log into the TMS and enter those details if for some reason the driver hasn't. If for some reason the headcode isn't recognised and there is no suitable generic one, then it most certainly is up to the TM to make appropriate announcements.

5. Essexman

Essexman Member

I agree. Personally I'd rather not have them but not all passengers know the route and which coaches may not be platformed so we need some but not nearly as many as on the automated system.

Glad to have an HST on the way back today with an excellent Train Manager who made just the right announcements.

6. father_jack

father_jack Member

Didn't read too long about the scenario but something down the Berks and Hants (ie ex Reading down via Newbury etc) tonight was delayed due to TMS issues.....

7. Parallel

Parallel Established Member

When my friend from the SE travelled to Westbury, she said there were no short platform announcements. Luckily she was at the furthest platformed door back, she would’ve been overcarried to Castle Cary (and it was late evening) if she was in the rear two coaches. She said where was a short platforms announcement for Pewsey but not for Westbury.

8. TUC

TUC Established Member

So how do you suggest passengers are helped to know when their station is approaching?

9. DelW

DelW Member

Recently it surprised me how disconcerting it can be to have no announcements (or PIS) at all, when you're not sure where you are. I was travelling on a 313 toward Hertford North, which had no PIS screens, no automated announcements and no manual PA station announcements. On an unfamiliar route, in the dark, and stopping at lots of suburban stations, it was quite difficult to keep track of where I was. Station name-boards are often small and poorly-lit, and weren't always visible from where my coach stopped. Probably the 717s will go to the other extreme though.

10. irish_rail

irish_rail Member

I'm not suggesting that approaching stations are not announced am I??!!! What I object to is the various useless claptrap that is whittled off that people just zone out from and ignore for example giving every stop the train will be calling at after departing every station, and all the pointless rubbish about ensuring you have all your personal belongings etc etc etc. Folk just ignore it now. All that is needed is a simple " we are now arriving at xxx" .

11. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

On my GWR service back to London from Cardiff on Sunday, there was nothing but station related announcements until getting closer to London (having departed Reading) whereby it started cycling through a series of safety announcements with only a small gap in between.

Can/are such announcements linked to the location of the train, with a priority on trains within the Greater London area?

Also, I can't help but note how quiet the announcements are. I assume there's no ambient noise sensor to adjust dynamically. On my Cardiff bound train on Friday, it was near silent because of the carriage noise (rugby weekend). Before anyone says that's exceptional circumstances I should point out that it was loud but not crazy loud (no singing or chanting) and probably not significantly different to any other evening train after work.

12. John Clausen

John Clausen Member

The most amusing is the connectional advice approaching Bristol Parkway: Change here for Bristol Temple Meads and the north! When the new service from Temple Meads to Paddington via Parkway starts, will they still have the same announcement?

13. Parallel

I think it depends on the TOC and the capability of the PIS. I know on the GWR DMUs, the full/long safety announcements are only usually played at places like Bristol Temple Meads, Exeter St David’s, Plymouth and (I think) Southampton Central. It is always played when the PIS is first started up at the origin though.

TfW have a safety announcement that plays after leaving large/interchange stations. The older units have an older announcement that is meant to play every 4 times the doors are released.

14. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

I was surprised to be on the train on Friday evening and it was all set up with digital reservations, coach numbers etc (and paper reservations too) but the TM didn't do any announcements and nor did the train. No audible confirmation of what service it was, where it was stopping, anything about having the right ticket or getting off if not intending to travel.

The system didn't say anything at all until after leaving Paddington and for a minute or two at least. And then, as I said, did it too quietly to be fully heard anyway.

15. vlad

vlad Member

Virgin XC used to have an automated announcement at Leamington Spa advising you to change for Birmingham Moor Street. This was played even on trains that had come from Birmingham New Street. Even if you got on in Coventry it would still be a bit of a long way round!

16. Parallel

I’ve been on a IET to Carmarthen that travelled via Temple Meads due to planned engineering work and the announcement arriving into Temple Meads said ‘Change here for Cardiff Central and Bristol Parkway’ and people actually got off the train!!

17. HowardGWR

HowardGWR Established Member

Perhaps there was a late change to the schedule, otherwise I don't understand why your train did not take the 'Rhubarb' chord at North Somerset Junction.

18. didcotdean

didcotdean Member

IETs stopping at Didcot Parkway (from London anyway) have an announcement about changing there for Oxford, Banbury and the North. This is heard even on services that actually continue on to Oxford.

19. PHILIPE

PHILIPE Established Member

The diverted trains usually go into Temple Meads as they become absorbed into the Bristol TM to Paddington services.

20. Essexman

Essexman Member

The IET announcements seem to be programmed to tell people to alight at Newton Abbot for Torquay & Paignton, even if that's where the train is going. Two or three times I've been on trains when this announcement has been made approaching Newton Abbot and the Train Manager has had to make a manual announcement telling passengers for Torquay & Paignton to stay on the train.

21. Parallel

GWR really need to sort their announcements out. They can’t do local doors either. The amount of times the system announces Bradford on Avon as being Avoncliff and it’s too dark to see the stations signs, people get overcarried, especially if they don’t know the route.