• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Laser eye surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

GJM4376

Evening all ....is there anybody out there that knows GWR policy on laser eye surgery? For drivers/ trainee drivers.
any GWR drivers that have had it ??
thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ArchangelA

It definitely is accepted by TOCs for train driving positions, but I also know that some definitely don't accept it (West Midlands Trains for example). Providing you can satisfy the medical examiner that you don't have any ongoing or residual issues then it shouldn't be a problem for those that do accept it.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I thought it wasn’t accepted by any tocs ? Happy to be corrected.

My understanding is that previously it was just a straight no. It has in recent years moved to being somewhat discretionary with some TOCs being willing to accept it and other TOCs not. I think there is also a difference in the type of surgery and when the surgery took place (I think it's that there's an older technique which is more likely to have changes even many years post surgery and a newer one which is more stable). So basically it boils down to the individual TOCs.

TheGoldfish

My understanding is that previously it was just a straight no. It has in recent years moved to being somewhat discretionary with some TOCs being willing to accept it and other TOCs not. I think there is also a difference in the type of surgery and when the surgery took place (I think it's that there's an older technique which is more likely to have changes even many years post surgery and a newer one which is more stable). So basically it boils down to the individual TOCs.
Thanks for the clarity

Ashley Hill

Established Member
One of our guards at my TOC had it and was green carded until occupational health were happy there were no side effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.