• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Medical advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stigy

Established Member
Hi all,

Time for the obligatory ‘medical advice thread’! So I have my my conditional offer of employment from GWR, and my medical booked for 18 April in Swindon. To say I’m happy I’ve been ‘conditionally’ offered a driving job after only being in the talent pool for a couple of months is an understatement!

But now I’ve not got assesment centres and interviews to worry about, I’ve turned my attention to the medical. I’m just in need of drawing on the experiences of you guys who have had recent medicals so a) I know what to expect, and b) to see if much differs from medicals I’ve had in the past (I’ve had PTS medicals for example, but never a driver medical).

The items concerning me a bit are as follows;

Eyesight
This is the main concern for me; I wear glasses to correct my vision and my prescription is quite strong (I think). I’ve done some research and believe the prescription itself won’t be an issue, however I’m concerned about my uncorrected vision. It’s bad. I’ve done some searching and googling but can’t find definitively how GWR test eyesight, as this would help me understand if I’m worrying unnecessarily (do they use the snellen scale? Do the get you to read a passage at 30-cm? etc).

Medication
I’m on medication for a condition which wouldn’t affect me day to day. Is it likely that when taking in to account on-going medical conditions, the company would take in to consideration the fact that said medical condition has never resulted in taking any time off work? It’s not a condition which is of concern to safety critical work ordinarily.

Drug & Alcohol Test
It’s not the results I’m worried about, it’s producing the urine sample itself. Does the doc/nurse have to stand right outside the cubicle? I’m not great at peeing in these circumstances...apparently it’s quite common, but this worries me.

I’m guilty of over-thinking sometimes, but I’m eager to hear of your experiences. Thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rammstein

I had mine end of February, the eye sight was a very quick job of looking through these sort of binoculars on the desk and seeing the smallest font you can read. Unfortunately I don't wear glasses so I couldn't tell you if they'd do it differently for you!
On the medication side, as long as you declare it I can't see a problem especially if you say it's not usually a concern.
Now the awkward bit haha! Every medical I've had I've drank loads beforehand and then sat while the lovely nurse chatted away thinking "can we just get on with it!". You have to keep the door unlocked and slightly ajar, but they don't hover over your shoulder! The worst bit for me was being told not to flush it so they can check you aren't hiding anything-it just feels so wrong! I think regarding being nervous about going, I was so desperate at that point it was quite a relief!!

Train92

Hi Rammstein, what colour vision test did GWR use? I’ve got my medical 15th April so I’m curious to find out.

Thanks

Stigy

Established Member
I had mine end of February, the eye sight was a very quick job of looking through these sort of binoculars on the desk and seeing the smallest font you can read. Unfortunately I don't wear glasses so I couldn't tell you if they'd do it differently for you!
On the medication side, as long as you declare it I can't see a problem especially if you say it's not usually a concern.
Now the awkward bit haha! Every medical I've had I've drank loads beforehand and then sat while the lovely nurse chatted away thinking "can we just get on with it!". You have to keep the door unlocked and slightly ajar, but they don't hover over your shoulder! The worst bit for me was being told not to flush it so they can check you aren't hiding anything-it just feels so wrong! I think regarding being nervous about going, I was so desperate at that point it was quite a relief!!
Thanks for the heads up. It was those binoculars things I recall from when I had my first medical for SWR....seemed rather archaic to me? Not what I was used to at all.

As for the D&A test it’s the best hole fact that they’re standing outside haha. I’ll drink lots. It’s a common issue apparently.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Ongoing prescribed medication will be checked - as it would be if you were given anything once you had the job. If you are given something that could potentially affect you driving trains, you are taken off track until you finish the course [of medication] = I know of drivers who end up being redeployed, because they can never not take their meds, and they will never be able to drive whilst on it. Other times, they're taken off for a while to have the effects (if any) monitored by Occu Health to determine if driving duties can be resumed.

I couldn't tell you what they would do for those going for initial medicals who would "fail" a medicheck. (by fail I don't mean fail like a drugs test, but rather your medication is deemed incompatible with driving.) They may give you a flat no, you may be deferred. But you won't be passed F1 clear to drive.

In your case you never will anyway - you'll be F2 conditional pass, because your fitness to drive would be dependant on your glasses/contact lenses. (We frequently have drivers go off track for a week or two because their glasses prescription has changed and they need to wait for a new pair to be delivered) - It's no biggie, just so you're aware when they tell you that, you know what it means and why!

If you're willing to DM me Stigy and tell me what you're taking, I'll see if it's on our pre-cleared list. I probably couldn't get away with running a full medcheck for you if it isn't though!

Importantly, for EVERYONE, you must declare anything you're given. (things like paracetamol you obviously don't, be sensible, better things to do with my time than tell you all yes you can take a paracetamol and drive your train!!!) GWR sacked a driver who had been taking prescription medication that would have taken them off track, without declaring it. They had a random D&A test, and as it was a drug that would impair driving, and it wasn't declared, it was deemed a D&A fail, and sacking followed.

Note, for driver/driving read any safety critical role.

FGW_DID

Established Member
On the topic of glasses: I don’t wear glasses myself so could be wrong but isn’t there an instruction for any safety critical staff (who need to wear glasses to meet the required vision standard) to be in possession of a spare pair of glasses whilst on duty?

tiptoptaff

Established Member
On the topic of glasses: I don’t wear glasses myself so could be wrong but isn’t there an instruction for any safety critical staff (who need to wear glasses to meet the required vision standard) to be in possession of a spare pair of glasses whilst on duty?
Yes there is. And it has to be glasses and not a spare set of contacts

Stigy

Established Member
I have heard this too, wasn’t sure if it was still the case but now I know. I have lots of glasses knocking about as I get a new pair every year whether I need them or not just to make my Healthshield membership at least a little bit worthwhile haha.

Stigy

Established Member
Ongoing prescribed medication will be checked - as it would be if you were given anything once you had the job. If you are given something that could potentially affect you driving trains, you are taken off track until you finish the course [of medication] = I know of drivers who end up being redeployed, because they can never not take their meds, and they will never be able to drive whilst on it. Other times, they're taken off for a while to have the effects (if any) monitored by Occu Health to determine if driving duties can be resumed.

I couldn't tell you what they would do for those going for initial medicals who would "fail" a medicheck. (by fail I don't mean fail like a drugs test, but rather your medication is deemed incompatible with driving.) They may give you a flat no, you may be deferred. But you won't be passed F1 clear to drive.

In your case you never will anyway - you'll be F2 conditional pass, because your fitness to drive would be dependant on your glasses/contact lenses. (We frequently have drivers go off track for a week or two because their glasses prescription has changed and they need to wait for a new pair to be delivered) - It's no biggie, just so you're aware when they tell you that, you know what it means and why!

If you're willing to DM me Stigy and tell me what you're taking, I'll see if it's on our pre-cleared list. I probably couldn't get away with running a full medcheck for you if it isn't though!

Importantly, for EVERYONE, you must declare anything you're given. (things like paracetamol you obviously don't, be sensible, better things to do with my time than tell you all yes you can take a paracetamol and drive your train!!!) GWR sacked a driver who had been taking prescription medication that would have taken them off track, without declaring it. They had a random D&A test, and as it was a drug that would impair driving, and it wasn't declared, it was deemed a D&A fail, and sacking followed.

Note, for driver/driving read any safety critical role.
Thanks for the information, as always very helpful! DM sent also.

BallaBoy

At my recent medical, I was initially nervous that the OH lady would want to be "witnessing" my urine sample being produced but all I needed to do was empty my pockets, we walked to the men's toilet, she then checked the room and left me alone...The container was handily wide enough for the job as well - the only tricky bit was to stop mid flow when the pot was full - it doesn't take much!!

Stigy

Established Member
At my recent medical, I was initially nervous that the OH lady would want to be "witnessing" my urine sample being produced but all I needed to do was empty my pockets, we walked to the men's toilet, she then checked the room and left me alone...The container was handily wide enough for the job as well - the only tricky bit was to stop mid flow when the pot was full - it doesn't take much!!
Was yours with GWR?

It’s the psychological aspects of having somebody wait for it to be done and the lack of background noise I think which is the problem sometimes. Still, I guess there’s not a time limit, and they’ll be used to people like me no doubt haha.

BallaBoy

Was yours with GWR?

It’s the psychological aspects of having somebody wait for it to be done and the lack of background noise I think which is the problem sometimes. Still, I guess there’s not a time limit, and they’ll be used to people like me no doubt haha.
No - for SWR held at Waterloo. I did give her a sideways look when going in the loo as if to say "you're not coming in are you?"..

Stigy

Established Member
No - for SWR held at Waterloo. I did give her a sideways look when going in the loo as if to say "you're not coming in are you?"..
Haha, that old sideways look.

Was strange to be held there, usually it would be where Occ Health at based. I did notice when I was there a few weeks ago there was a notice on a cubicle door saying “Collection in progress” I assumed this was more for as-hoc testing of staff though.

DD87

Has anyone on here actually failed the medical?

If so? What for? Got mine coming up and feeling a little worried as my BMI is quite high and done a home blood pressure test and that’s also a bit high do you know what the limit is?

Feeling a bit :(

tiptoptaff

Established Member

If so? What for? Got mine coming up and feeling a little worried as my BMI is quite high and done a home blood pressure test and that’s also a bit high do you know what the limit is?

It's personal. Only the Dr on the day can decide if your BMI combined with BP is too high. If you aren't already, get in to an exercise routine.

Stigy

Established Member

I have my medical on Thursday and am a little less nervous now, however the eyes and ears just worry me a bit. My BMI is 33.7 last time I checked (a week ago) so it’s high. The questionnaire did ask if it was over 34 so I’m guess that’s the sort of highest they want to go. From the advice I’ve gained so far from others (especially Tiptoptaff!) it’s definitely a personal thing. Everything will be judged in its merits (I think). I lead a fairly active work life and occasionally have to run and am generally always on my feet (although I’m built for comfort not speed lol) so I’d like to think that would be taken in to account, however I appreciate as a driver I may need to make more of a conscious effort on my fitness as I won’t be on my feet as much generally and certainly won’t be doing 20k steps a day.

Regarding BP, I might test that too as I’m an ambulance responder so have the kit in the car haha. I think, as with pulse rate, it’s expected that BP might be a bit elevated given the stress of attending a medical?

Last edited:

DD87

I have my medical on Thursday and am a little less nervous now, however the eyes and ears just worry me a bit. My BMI is 33.7 last time I checked (a week ago) so it’s high. The questionnaire did ask if it was over 34 so I’m guess that’s the sort of highest they want to go. From the advice I’ve gained so far from others (especially Tiptoptaff!) it’s definitely a personal thing. Everything will be judged in its merits (I think). I lead a fairly active work life and occasionally have to run and am generally always on my feet (although I’m built for comfort not speed lol) so I’d like to think that would be taken in to account.

Regarding BP, I might test that too as I’m an ambulance responder so have the kit in the car haha. I think, as with pulse rate, it’s expected that BP might be a bit elevated given the stress of attending a medical?

By the sounds of it I’m sure you will be ok!

It’s annoying getting this far and having to worry about one last bit!

Good luck with your medical

Stigy

Established Member
By the sounds of it I’m sure you will be ok!

It’s annoying getting this far and having to worry about one last bit!

Good luck with your medical
Thanks!

And yes, before getting to this stage I didn’t even consider it to be honest. I tend to cross each bridge as I come to it. It’s a stressful journey but I knew what I was letting myself in for. I’d be gutted to fail at the last hurdle of the recruitment process.

Stigy

Established Member
Well, that’s the medical done and it would appear I had nothing to worry about! Passed with an advisory for being a bit fat so have to shift some weight but the doc signed me off as fit to drive trains!

Chuffed at this as I was worried (hence this thread). And an added bonus I met @tiptoptaff for a tea :lol:

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Well, that’s the medical done and it would appear I had nothing to worry about! Passed with an advisory for being a bit fat so have to shift some weight but the doc signed me off as fit to drive trains!

Chuffed at this as I was worried (hence this thread). And an added bonus I met @tiptoptaff for a tea :lol:

Good to meet you, shame they changed the visitor policy and I couldn't take you round control. The half hour we'll get on the course isn't really enough in my opinion

Indy3995

Congrats Stigy...its a good day for medical passing. I passed mine today in Reading and Im starting training for Exeter on June 3rd. Happy days !!

Last edited:

Daydr3am3r

Ah ok because I thought they were looking to run more local training courses from Newton Abbot, which I am hopeful for.

Stigy

Established Member
Congrats Stigy...its a good day for medical passing. I passed mine today in Reading and Im starting training for Exeter on June 3rd. Happy days !!
Thanks, congrats to you too! Not long till your course now!

tiptoptaff

Established Member
That will be contradicting my recent email from Driver Training but we will see, you may well be right :)
I'd find it unusual, as SPM can run a course once per 12weeks, and one started in April, and another will start in July. NTA is a available, and it only has West Country trainees on it. They'd be breaking convention by sending you to SPM.

Indy3995

Interesting, well you may very well be right then pal. Wherever it is, I will find out shortly and Im happy to go wherever. Im in and its feels Tip Top ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.