• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

gWr morning peak times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
I was at Marlow about 0930 on Friday and tried to select a railcard discount only to find that that it wasn't valid at this time. Confused I walked off and saw a small poster written by a Local Line Group association explaining the peak times for this route. Apparently 0958 is the end of the peak for Marlow. The next train was at 1000. There were about 7 people waiting at the ticket machine at 0958.

I'm only familiar with peak time ending at 0930. Why is gWr different in this respect?

The ticket machine did kick in with the railcard discount at about 0945 before everyone arrived but I was surprised with the ticket machine forbidding the discount. I'm used to machines just letting you buy whatever you like and the guard/inspector/gateline assistant reprimanding you afterwards.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jamiearmley

Surely railcard discounts have a minimum fare before 10 am and are not affected by peak /off peak restrictions?

jawr256

As Jamie says, I think the validity of the Off Peak Day Return is a red herring - the O9 restriction for (eg.) Marlow to London ends at 09:30 (or 09:27 in the unpublished restrictions?), but the next train is not until 10:00. Edit: brfares lists an easement allowing travel on the 08:56 departure, so long as any other trains in the itinerary satisfy the main restiction. The Off Peak Day Return from Marlow to Maidenhead is valid from 08:30. But this isn't the point.

The issue in question is when the 26-30 railcard minimum fare applies, which is 04:30-09:59 everywhere - I suppose this ticket machine is only allowing tickets below the minimum fare to be bought up to ~15 minutes in advance of the cap being lifted.

Last edited:

jamiearmley

Neither the peak or the off peak fare then for that journey is over the £12 minimum fare before 10am. Therefore, railcard discounted ticket invalid before 10am for that journey. Hope that explains what happened.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Not every Railcard has a 10am restriction or a minimum fare.

Status
Not open for further replies.