• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR operating short 'HSTGTi' sets (see diagrams section for workings)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

83G/84D

Established Member
The FGW / GWR coffee shop forum has details of the initial short HST workings which it says will start in September:-

Those who have parted with their money for a Guide to Services book (£5 from main GWR stations ) will already be able to see the diagrams the first GTi set will be working. For everyone else...

From 11 September 2017

Mondays to Fridays

0600 Penzance to Exeter St Davids (not Cardiff Central. A service from St James' Park to Cardiff Central will run in its place)
1017 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
1345 Penzance to Plymouth
1557 Plymouth to Penzance
1916 Penzance to Plymouth
2242 Plymouth to Penzance (Mondays to Thursdays only. HST from PAD runs in its place on Fridays)

Sundays

1943 Plymouth to Penzance

Details here:- http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=18332.0

Sounds like they are just working in Devon & Cornwall to start with rather than going to Bristol or Cardiff. Perhaps that will come with the December 2017 timetable change or as and when more sets are available?

MatthewRead

On Moderation

co-tr-paul

As I think I posted earlier, the second set will only enter service after an extensivel period of testing with the first set to make sure everything is right; so I was told from on-high. Nice to see updated info on full diagram on first set as initially informed. Full entry is Dec 2018.

Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member
As I think I posted earlier, the second set will only enter service after an extensivel period of testing with the first set to make sure everything is right; so I was told from on-high. Nice to see updated info on full diagram on first set as initially informed. Full entry is Dec 2018.

Thanks Paul, in that case I would hazard a guess that May 2018 (or later) might be more likely for introduction of the second set!

On Moderation
It also relies on further HSTs being released by the arrival of the new Hitachi junk. It is a delicate balancing act as GWR also has to release sets for the ScotRail fleet.

The first set is effectively out of the maintenance pool as there has been no reduction in HST diagrams so far. There are also seem to be more sets running around a trailer short than was the case, indicating that the fleet is stretched.

Last edited:

CC 72100

Established Member
The FGW / GWR coffee shop forum has details of the initial short HST workings which it says will start in September:-

Details here:- http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=18332.0

Sounds like they are just working in Devon & Cornwall to start with rather than going to Bristol or Cardiff. Perhaps that will come with the December 2017 timetable change or as and when more sets are available?

The 10:17 EXD - PNZ & 15:57 PLY - PNZ are pretty busy trains, and it had been known for road transport to support the 15:57 when formed of just 2 coaches. Probably a good use of resource for a trial diagram.

83G/84D

Established Member
A contact at GWR has advised that it is possible that there may be a delay to the start of of 2+4 HST operations.

No reason was given but the planned start date of 11th September is not yet confirmed.

On Moderation
A contact at GWR has advised that it is possible that there may be a delay to the start of of 2+4 HST operations.

No reason was given but the planned start date of 11th September is not yet confirmed.
Given that no stock has come out of Wabtec and there is then testing and crew training to do, there is not a chance of that date being hit.

Rich McLean

Established Member
All delayed coming out of works. XC also in bother as they were banking on 4 sets out daily by Dec TT change and that is highly likely to change as a result with the proposed voyager distribution altered to soften the loss of seats daily.

With any luck a possible short term lease for the GC sets will allow for cover for mods and exams but not expecting it. Upshot is TT release for Dec likely to be delayed.

This can also leave GWR short when 150/1s start to leave. At the moment first couple sets are due out in September but only 1 GWR PC has the kit fitted (some others wired up only) and no XC PCs are ready.

Will be interesting to see the impact in 2018

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It must be far preferable to delay the GTI project than have InterCity trains running around short formed.

D1009

Established Member
It must be far preferable to delay the GTI project than have InterCity trains running around short formed.
When an IC train is short formed, usually the worst result is that more people have to stand. If a DMU is short formed it can result in people being left behind.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
When an IC train is short formed, usually the worst result is that more people have to stand. If a DMU is short formed it can result in people being left behind.

But in this case, the DMU's are already there anyway.

On Moderation
Is Crosscountry currently fitting power doors to its HST trailer coaches? Or is GWR the only TOC that has already made a start on this?
There is one XC set (and some of their spare trailers, I think) at Wabtec for conversion.

Established Member
Ad do we know the reason for the delay is it posing more of a challenge than expected?, if so doesn't bode well for the progress of Scotrail HST's.

Established Member
It's a new design and product so of course the first ones are going to face challenges as no one knew what to really expect.

co-tr-paul

Was told way back by our then fleet engineering manager that it was a product adapted from the New York metro ! The first ones always take longer as measurements and products have to be taken, designed, adapted, sourced and made then fitted, then tested. Similarly, the second set won't be wholly started on until "an extensive mainline testing period". It needs to be got right to avoid delays.

xotGD

Established Member
Ad do we know the reason for the delay is it posing more of a challenge than expected?, if so doesn't bode well for the progress of Scotrail HST's.

Easy answer - Mark 5s and class 68s instead of 40 year old hand-me-downs.

mic505

Why is that then? What is wrong with Mk5 coaches with power-operated doors?

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Its a shame that Great Western can't keep their 180's a bit longer to cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.