• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR operating short 'HSTGTi' sets (see diagrams section for workings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kieran1990

Its a shame that Great Western can't keep their 180's a bit longer to cover.

Sadly committed to GC as their HST replacement and also allowing their 180's a much needed refurb- travelled this afternoon on one from KGX-WKG and the old first group interior is in real need of an update.
I will miss flying on one the Great Western but they do really move on the ECML!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Sadly committed to GC as their HST replacement and also allowing their 180's a much needed refurb- travelled this afternoon on one from KGX-WKG and the old first group interior is in real need of an update.
I will miss flying on one the Great Western but they do really move on the ECML!

Well, the HST's haven't got any plans for next year, so perhaps GC can keep those a little longer as well.

On Moderation
Well, the HST's haven't got any plans for next year, so perhaps GC can keep those a little longer as well.

No plans that we know of. There could be things happening behind the scenes that are not public.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Because at the minute GWR can't do without them. There are already widespread short formations in Devon, thanks to the 150/2 refurb and the 143 paint jobs.

Not just Devon but over the whole Network. You've only got to look at Journey Check Formations to see this although GWR say due to more trains having attention than usual.

capital12

Mk3 with sliding door opening and closing viewable this afternoon from platform at Doncaster!

It's an old Virgin liveried coach, couldn't see the number.

dmncf

I understand that the main driver of these HST upgrades is to meet the Persons of Reduced Mobility Technical Specification for Interoperability (PRM-TSI) deadline of 1 January 2020. I guess this drives the power door upgrade and any accessible toilet upgrade.

Will there be any other upgrades due to PRM-TSI, such as an audio-visual announcement system? I guess that's a different aspect of accessibilility. Are any of the HST train operators adding this anyway?

I assume that the controlled emission toilets upgrade isn't due to PRM-TSI. Is there different legislation, or perhaps commitments to rail worker unions, driving this?

Short formed HSTs on GWR won't be happening.

Any evidence for this? 1st short formed HST is due out in November. They are needed to cover for less Turbos being cascaded for the time being.

mushroomchow

Going back to coach layouts, I don't know why everybody waxes lyrical about table seats. They're so cramped it's unreal, so unless you're travelling in a group and specifically book one between you they're not worth the hassle. I had the joy of sitting at one on a journey home on bank holiday Monday and spent the two hour journey trying to simultaneously avoid playing footsie with a complete stranger and losing all feeling in my legs.

That might float some people's boats, but I'd rather sit in the vestibule than have to endure that again! :roll:

Darandio

Established Member
Can you provide a source for that gem of information?

Many of their previous posts suggest they are a GWR driver, i'm intrigued.

Of course, many people say many things on here and they aren't always true, but we shall see if they reply.

VP185

Any evidence for this? 1st short formed HST is due out in November. They are needed to cover for less Turbos being cascaded for the time being.

Have you seen the progress made with the 1st short formed HST?

All I will say is that you're trying to make huge structural changes to a vehicle that is 40+ years old. There's the problem and the reason why it isn't happening.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

All I will say is that you're trying to make huge structural changes to a vehicle that is 40+ years old. There's the problem and the reason why it isn't happening.

Er, what?

The sliding door design does NOT require huge structural changes - that's the whole point of it!

What other huge structural changes are required?

Darandio

Established Member

I thought it was (roughly) the same as what now exists on Chiltern Mk3 sets, a proven design?

Clarence Yard

Established Member
Well, all I can say is (as at last Friday & speaking to the relevant engineers) it is definitely still happening and the first GWR set is still due back in November.

Established Member

I have actually. As we also have a set there undergoing the same work. Do you actually have a source for your info or are you just guessing?

randyrippley

Established Member
Why wasn't the obvious done and part of the GW HST fleet swapped for the SW class 158/159 fleet?
Even with the problems of long/short swing link bogies it must have been possible to do this and increase capacity on both sets of routes
Waterloo-Exeter by HST would be an improvement over the DMUs, while GW would get the DMUs it requires without any need for mods. And all the coaches rendered surplus by the current plan stay in use, increasing available seats

On Moderation
Many of their previous posts suggest they are a GWR driver, i'm intrigued.

Of course, many people say many things on here and they aren't always true, but we shall see if they reply.

Because drivers always know what is going on within fleet management.......?

Darandio

Established Member
Because drivers always know what is going on within fleet management.......?

I'm not saying that at all. But when someone posts something so confidently and apparently works for the company, you have to question whether the information is internal.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Simple enough explanation - it's total b******s.

If the GW 2+4 programme is binned then the XC will be as well, it's the same conversion. From what I've heard (from reliable internal sources) the delay to the first GW conversion is due to problems with the first XC set which is ahead of it in the queue. November might be slightly ambitious but it's definitely coming. Enough power cars are converted and only a few trailers are required after all!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.