• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR operating short 'HSTGTi' sets (see diagrams section for workings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPI

Established Member
I like to think we are one big happy family, wouldn't want to upset anyone or create an us and them thing between drivers and catering.
Too be fair they tend to stay quiet about my driving haha
And not to mention some of us will bring you a cuppa at certain stations.....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

43 302

Established Member
Just seen a 2+4 HST lead by Harry Patch on the Severn beach line by redland is this a regular diagram?

Brissle Girl

Established Member
It was on a Taunton to Cardiff service an hour earlier south of Bristol. So not sure what happened to it after Bristol.

More importantly, it will be a real shame if it goes off lease. It's so striking and a great tribute to the fallen.

stuu

Established Member
I travelled on one of the refurbed HSTs last night, in lieu of a lost Voyager (I do enjoy the irony of being delayed at Bristol Temple Meads because of overhead line problems). Very nice they are too, you would never guess they were nearly as old as I am. I assume they must be expensive to run though, otherwise I can see them still running for years

83G/84D

Established Member
Reported elsewhere that GW09 will be released from Doncaster around the 20th of December. There are allegedly plans for a 2+3 sliding door HST set to be introduced early next year using spare vehicles. This to cover until more 2+4 sets are in service. Will be restricted to 75mph apparently so probably kept on diagrams in the far south west.

Apedlar12

43155/158 went up to Doncaster today from Laira, could this possibly to pick up GW09...?

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Reported elsewhere that GW09 will be released from Doncaster around the 20th of December. There are allegedly plans for a 2+3 sliding door HST set to be introduced early next year using spare vehicles. This to cover until more 2+4 sets are in service. Will be restricted to 75mph apparently so probably kept on diagrams in the far south west.

Sounds like a good plan GWR have come up with then :)!

43 302

Established Member
Are there any slam door sets in service and how long until they are withdrawn for modifications?

Railperf

Established Member
Are there any slam door sets in service and how long until they are withdrawn for modifications?
Yes..i saw a classic set at Bristol around 3pm on Monday on a Cardiff Service. Think it is one of two left.

43 302

Established Member
2C05 and the subsequent diagrams appears to be the only timetabled set left according to the frequently requested diagrams thread.

NJ51

I photographed a "Class 257" set with blue locos 43010 and 43161 and four green unrebuilt slam door coaches on 2U20 on 18th December and the same set was on the same service today 30th December , although I did not identify the Class 43s - it did not stop at Yatton as it was running late. https://flic.kr/p/2i21hk2. ( On 23rd December 2U20 was run by a 2car Class 150/2 )

Energy

Established Member
The 3 car set must be expensive to run, I'm interested in what happens to these in the next franchise.

43 302

Established Member
I'm booked on to that service in a few days time. Hopefully it is still running by then.

Rich McLean

Established Member
The 3 car set must be expensive to run, I'm interested in what happens to these in the next franchise.
If DfT allow GW Franchise to get their hands on ex TfW 158s when they finish in Wales, those will likely replace the Castle sets like for like, by which time it will be 2024. Yes I know the coversions have just been done, but the 158s are a lot cheaper to run.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
To a large extent it will depend on the contract agreed. Whoever is funding the conversions (presumably the ROSCO) will not have done them without a guarantee of future use for a period of x years, and if x wasn't long enough to cover its investment and the costs of maintaining the fleet it would have walked away from the deal and left GWR high and dry. So whatever x is will probably be your answer.

Adsy125

If DfT allow GW Franchise to get their hands on ex TfW 158s when they finish in Wales, those will likely replace the Castle sets like for like, by which time it will be 2024. Yes I know the coversions have just been done, but the 158s are a lot cheaper to run.
1 castle set for 1 158? That doesn't seem like an adequate plan for replacement considering the castles have 4 coaches, there are enough TFW 158s to take on 2 per castle set, and an additional 8 units. Allowing a capacity boost where needed, or replacing some more 150s.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
1 castle set for 1 158? That doesn't seem like an adequate plan for replacement considering the castles have 4 coaches, there are enough TFW 158s to take on 2 per castle set, and an additional 8 units. Allowing a capacity boost where needed, or replacing some more 150s.

I'd hardly start worrying about TFW 158s for another 3 years yet plus the rest because I'm sure there will be the customary late delivery and delay entering service by their replacements.

jimm

Established Member
To a large extent it will depend on the contract agreed. Whoever is funding the conversions (presumably the ROSCO) will not have done them without a guarantee of future use for a period of x years, and if x wasn't long enough to cover its investment and the costs of maintaining the fleet it would have walked away from the deal and left GWR high and dry. So whatever x is will probably be your answer.

Much of the rolling stock in the Castle fleet is already owned by First Group and the leasing company is probably happy to get a few more years' fees out of the bits that they own. It's not like the ScotRail project, where there is indeed a contract with Angel Trains specifying that its trains will be used for a decade.

Rich McLean

Established Member
Sorry meant the whole TfW 158 fleet for all the Castle sets, so yes 4 car 158s for 4 car castle sets

43 302

Established Member
2U20 (shown as the last classic diagram on the frequently requested diagrams page) was worked by a class 255 castle today. Should that be updated on the page?

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
The last slam door set finished up on new years eve so all GWR HSTs are now sliding door sets.

43 302

Established Member
43194 so all the xxx94s
That is an interesting combination! Now that they have been reclassified as Class 255 Castle, will they remain in fixed formation and will they receive a 255 number per set or per power car?

On Moderation
That is an interesting combination! Now that they have been reclassified as Class 255 Castle, will they remain in fixed formation and will they receive a 255 number per set or per power car?
They haven’t been reclassified. Class 255 is just some made up identification by GWR - they are still Class 43 locos on the national vehicle register.

43 302

Established Member
They haven’t been reclassified. Class 255 is just some made up identification by GWR - they are still Class 43 locos on the national vehicle register.
That's an interesting decision. One that I can't seem doing anything other than pleasing a few enthusiasts. I do like the nameplates I'll be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.