• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Operations Apprenticeship 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Melancholia

I'm an Operations Apprentice from the 2015 group (Maidenhead based), just this week started a new job as a Customer Sales Advisor. Any questions, ask away!

168lover

I've applied, I'm a little out of the desired area if they go by road mileage (30 miles instead of 25) but if they go by as the crow flies I'm about 23 miles. Do you think that I would still be accepted?

Last edited:

Melancholia

I've applied, I'm a little out of the desired area if they go by road mileage (30 miles instead of 25) but if they go by as the crow flies I'm about 23 miles. Do you think that I would still be accepted?

In my current year, there are apprentices who live 40 miles away from the home station, and they still got accepted. Even if you're not within the 25 mile range, do still apply.

Melancholia

I have applied for the Oxford position, when am I likely to hear if I am successful or not?

I have applied on the 10th of June, and a week later got invited to a telephone interview. I then had my assessment/face-to-face interview by the end of the month, and mid-July had an offer of employment.

So, in other words, it shouldn't take too long.

I wish you good luck. It is a very good stepping stone to a career within the railway.

If you've got any questions about the IRO Railway Management course, or the DofE side of things, feel free to ask. :)

leomartin125

I have applied on the 10th of June, and a week later got invited to a telephone interview. I then had my assessment/face-to-face interview by the end of the month, and mid-July had an offer of employment.

So, in other words, it shouldn't take too long.

I wish you good luck. It is a very good stepping stone to a career within the railway.

If you've got any questions about the IRO Railway Management course, or the DofE side of things, feel free to ask. :)

Thanks! I have applied for the Apprenticeship up in Oxford and did the online assessment (Multiple Choice) and am waiting to hear back. That was Friday. I have also applied for a yard team member position with GWR at Old Oak Common, which I would much prefer as it's a better first step into becoming a train driver, working in a yard and gaining shunting qualifications, and passed the online test for that and am waiting to hear back for that too. If the Yard one becomes successful, I won't do the Apprenticeship, it's just in case I don't get the job, which maybe quite likely since I'm only 17 (18 in July 2016).

168lover

Thanks! I have applied for the Apprenticeship up in Oxford and did the online assessment (Multiple Choice) and am waiting to hear back. That was Friday. I have also applied for a yard team member position with GWR at Old Oak Common, which I would much prefer as it's a better first step into becoming a train driver, working in a yard and gaining shunting qualifications, and passed the online test for that and am waiting to hear back for that too. If the Yard one becomes successful, I won't do the Apprenticeship, it's just in case I don't get the job, which maybe quite likely since I'm only 17 (18 in July 2016).

Good luck

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm considering applying myself, although obviously I'd have to move. As I'm 31 this doesn't seem like my best choice mind, but would it be worth a go?

Melancholia

I'm considering applying myself, although obviously I'd have to move. As I'm 31 this doesn't seem like my best choice mind, but would it be worth a go?

I think there's a maximum age limit of 24, since that's the limit for the DofE Gold Award. You can still try to apply, maybe they'd be able to suit it up to your age.

Lrd

Established Member
It would be a significant pay cut. Apprentices are generally only on £3 or £4 an hour.

You would be better off going into ticket office/customer host/station assistant role if you are looking for a way in.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Fair game, had a hunch it was a low age limit. I've since looked at other opportunities which suit me better :)

Good luck to all the young rail heads who apply, hope you get it!

leomartin125

I have sadly not been accepted for it. Has anybody been successful?

I have applied and am yet to hear back from doing the online assessment. I have done similar for GWR Yard Team Member job and have been given a date to visit the Assessment Centre in Swindon, next month. Also CrossCountry have given me an Assessment Centre date too, so thankfully things are going well so far.

alocotpi

Has anyone heard back yet?

I applied for the Bristol position the day the apprenticeships were first advertised, and still haven't heard anything.

I assume they would tell you if your application wasn't successful?

leomartin125

I have heard back, got a "20 - 30 minute telephone assessment" to do as a result of me being successful at the online tests. Although I am currently VERY busy practicing for a number of train driver safety and communication tests I have on Monday in Swindon in hope to nail this shunter position at Old Oak Common. I know you only get two chances at this, Monday being strike one, so I'm taking this very seriously.

alocotpi

I have heard back, got a "20 - 30 minute telephone assessment" to do as a result of me being successful at the online tests. Although I am currently VERY busy practicing for a number of train driver safety and communication tests I have on Monday in Swindon in hope to nail this shunter position at Old Oak Common. I know you only get two chances at this, Monday being strike one, so I'm taking this very seriously.

Well done and good luck!

I notice that you said online tests though. I was only asked to do one, and received no indication as to whether I passed or not. :(

Edit: never mind, I've just received an email about a telephone interview

Last edited:

leomartin125

Well done and good luck!

I notice that you said online tests though. I was only asked to do one, and received no indication as to whether I passed or not. :(

Edit: never mind, I've just received an email about a telephone interview

No worries and thanks! I've booked my interview for next Tuesday, day after my day in Swindon for the Assessment Day, so next week is very important to me! I am glad you have heard back, good luck.

sciisfun

hey all, do you know if its just staff travel with gwr as the transport, or does it have the thing with BR boxes and 75% off (PRIV?) after the 6 months like full unguarded staff? just curious as it would make uk exploration a bit cheaper for me XD Also got my email today, phone interview on the 20th

Last edited:

Melancholia

hey all, do you know if its just staff travel with gwr as the transport, or does it have the thing with BR boxes and 75% off (PRIV?) after the 6 months like full unguarded staff? just curious as it would make uk exploration a bit cheaper for me XD Also got my email today, phone interview on the 20th

As soon as you are successful and join, you will get a GWR staff travel pass, WeekendFirst pass, and a pass for other FirstGroup TOC's with boxes. You will get the ATOC Priv card after 3 months of employment.

TheDiplomat99

I applied for the Bristol position and received an e-mail today to schedule a phone interview. Quite nervous to say the least as I've never participated in a phone interview before!

Last edited:

Shaggy

As soon as you are successful and join, you will get a GWR staff travel pass, WeekendFirst pass, and a pass for other FirstGroup TOC's with boxes. You will get the ATOC Priv card after 3 months of employment.

Has this changed?

Until quite recently it was only one month before qualifying for the Priv card at GWR.

Last edited:

leomartin125

It has been like that for the last year's lot.

I received a GWR Duty Travel Card in the post to use to get to my Assessment Centre in Swindon, expires tomorrow (when my assessment is) so its only temporary but they give them out to candidates to get to places for assessments, especially with me being local to Reading, Swindon isn't as easy to get to for me.

Melancholia

I received a GWR Duty Travel Card in the post to use to get to my Assessment Centre in Swindon, expires tomorrow (when my assessment is) so its only temporary but they give them out to candidates to get to places for assessments, especially with me being local to Reading, Swindon isn't as easy to get to for me.

I've had to buy a ticket for my assessment centre myself, grumble grumble grumble...

But it was only in the Penta Hotel in Reading, so getting there from Windsor is not the most expensive in the world, compared to going to Swindon.

I got a daily duty travel card for my Medical, which was somewhere near King's Cross. I had to use my own Oyster to get there from Paddington though.

Is your assessment in Holbrook House?

leomartin125

I've had to buy a ticket for my assessment centre myself, grumble grumble grumble...

But it was only in the Penta Hotel in Reading, so getting there from Windsor is not the most expensive in the world, compared to going to Swindon.

I got a daily duty travel card for my Medical, which was somewhere near King's Cross. I had to use my own Oyster to get there from Paddington though.

Is your assessment in Holbrook House?

According to the letter, it's at Swindon Station itself. They must have training rooms inside.

Melancholia

Oh yes, they do. There's a door on Platform 1 that leads to a set of stairs, and also a couple of rooms.

Anyway, good luck on your assessment tomorrow.

leomartin125

Oh yes, they do. There's a door on Platform 1 that leads to a set of stairs, and also a couple of rooms.

Anyway, good luck on your assessment tomorrow.

Exactly! Went in there, just come out! The tests were tough to say the least, they provided tea/coffee and water and a small selection of biscuits too. Reasonably accommodating! The SCAAT test was probably the easiest, one was done entirely from memory, and you only get 10 minutes to read and take in two pages, and for the first, it was judgement and reading information clearly. Overall I am positive but am definitely going to be full of suspense until I get my results soon.

And to make matters worse, I have a GWR Phone interview tomorrow, so now onto that!

Status
Not open for further replies.