• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Penalty Fare - few questions/ wrong details, wrong fare (?)/

Status
Not open for further replies.

furlong

Established Member
(Just to add regarding the date, the notice was completed in the presence of the person it was handed to, so it doesn't seem unreasonable that an obvious mistake that is self-evident to both sides could be corrected later.)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

furlong

Established Member
I've taken a good look at Paddington station and I would suggest you lodge an appeal on the grounds that the requirements for notices are not met (quoting the relevant bits of the S.I. including 16(3)(a)). In an appeal against a Penalty Fare, it is for the TOC to show the contrary (i.e. you do not have to prove the posters are missing/non-compliant but rather they have to prove they are present), and having walked round Paddington Station, I struggle to see how they could possibly do this. Posters I remember before have been removed and one obvious location for a Penalty Fares warning poster at one entrance even instead simply has a picture of Paddington Bear!

Last edited:

furlong

Established Member
If such an appeal encourages GWR to walk round the station themselves and put up new posters in the locations required by the scheme, then perhaps this will do some good and fewer people will travel in ignorance of the requirement to buy their ticket before boarding and the consequences of not so doing...

Last edited:

Clip

Established Member
I've taken a good look at Paddington station and I would suggest you lodge an appeal on the grounds that the requirements for notices are not met (quoting the relevant bits of the S.I. including 16(3)(a)). In an appeal against a Penalty Fare, it is for the TOC to show the contrary (i.e. you do not have to prove the posters are missing/non-compliant but rather they have to prove they are present), and having walked round Paddington Station, I struggle to see how they could possibly do this. Posters I remember before have been removed and one obvious location for a Penalty Fares warning poster at one entrance even instead simply has a picture of Paddington Bear!

If this is advice for the op in as much as you think this will get them off their perfectly legitimately issued penalty fare, then I assume you would be Willing to put it to the test yourself first?

furlong

Established Member
Well I can't comment on how long Paddington station has been in this state, but on the day I looked I'd suggest they lacked the necessary authority to issue most types of Penalty Fares for travel from Paddington (under both the old rules and the new ones) - and GWR ought to just do the right thing and cancel them all and apologise, before someone goes to the media and embarrasses them (and the DfT for its lack of enforcement).

This is not rocket science! How hard can it be for the company to display the posters that it agreed to do as a prerequisite for being allowed to impose these punitive charges on travellers?

Status
Not open for further replies.