• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR power cars in heritage liveries

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDWRER

A Class 43 ran through Ealing this morning around 7am in the original InterCity livery - hauling a mix of Mark 3s in the old purple and new green livery. Would probably have been either the Bristol or Paignton service.

I had no idea there were HSTs in the old Intercity Swallow livery still around. Anyone got any idea of how many there are?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
A bit of a sidetrack but I didn't think it deserved a separate thread.

A Class 43 ran through Ealing this morning around 7am in the original InterCity livery - hauling a mix of Mark 3s in the old purple and new green livery. Would probably have been either the Bristol or Paignton service.

I had no idea there were HSTs in the old Intercity Swallow livery still around. Anyone got any idea of how many there are?
One - 43185. It was put back into that livery in 2016 as part of the HST 40th anniversary celebrations.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
A bit of a sidetrack but I didn't think it deserved a separate thread.

Here you go, photographed at Teignmouth August 2017.

Attachments

• IMG_2192.JPG
    IMG_2192.JPG
    592 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_2194.JPG
    IMG_2194.JPG
    454.4 KB · Views: 187

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Even I know that that's not Inter-City swallow livery. That's the original HST livery.
No, this is the original Intercity (executive) livery.
824F3EC5-0859-4322-ABE4-13D585404A50.jpeg
Not my photo.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Wasn’t there a version of that where the black was substituted for BR blue?
No, but the first three production power cars were originally finished in the initial blue, yellow and grey scheme but with black upper bodysides as far back as the radiator grille. They didn't retain that livery variation long enough to leave works though, gaining the standard rail blue colour before entering service. Intercity executive livery came later (introduced in 1983), was derived from the livery applied to the APT-P sets, and always had the dark grey upper body.

Last edited:

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Even I know that that's not Inter-City swallow livery. That's the original HST livery.

The first shot showing the lead power car is of course Inter-City swallow livery, the second image showing the rear power car was only included for the interest of the OP.

Bromley boy

Established Member
No, but the first three production power cars were originally finished in the initial blue, yellow and grey scheme but with black upper bodysides as far back as the radiator grille. They didn't retain that livery variation long enough to leave works though, gaining the standard rail blue colour before entering service. Intercity executive livery came later (introduced in 1983), was derived from the livery applied to the APT-P sets, and always had the dark grey upper body.

Sorry the original blue yellow and grey livery was what I meant (I also didn’t realise rail blue and BR blue were different).

sprinterguy

Established Member
Sorry the original blue yellow and grey livery was what I meant (I also didn’t realise rail blue and BR blue were different).
Ah, had a feeling you might. The original livery being the HST variant of BRs' blue and grey livery, rather than Intercity, of course. Rail blue and BR blue are one and the same - it's the black upper bodysides on the original blue/grey livery that was different.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
The rail blue on the power cars was originally going to be black. 43002 was even painted that way although was changed to blue before she left Crewe works (not my picture) https://flic.kr/p/H99nyV

RDWRER

Couldn't believe my eyes when on the way home from work that very same day the same HST (43185) was running through Ealing out of Padidngton again.

Twice in one day ain't bad.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Couldn't believe my eyes when on the way home from work that very same day the same HST (43185) was running through Ealing out of Padidngton again.

Twice in one day ain't bad.

Don't forget to play the lottery this week then! ;)

Phil G

I think there were some stamps issued showing them in black and yellow, just before they went into service, I remember getting excited!

pdeaves

Established Member
I think there were some stamps issued showing them in black and yellow, just before they went into service, I remember getting excited!
Indeed; this one:
5b552acc48f88eaaee8d6161ad4a3b53.jpg

(The other three in the set were steam locos of varying vintage)

Warwick

"Kenneth Grange" left Penzance at the rear of the 12.04 to Paddington this lunchtime - conveying amongst - others some friends that have just had a smashing break down here.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Indeed; this one:
5b552acc48f88eaaee8d6161ad4a3b53.jpg

(The other three in the set were steam locos of varying vintage)

Thanks both for reminding about those, I remember buying the set of them at the time and putting them away somewhere safe......so safe that I can't remember where! :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.