• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Promotional Event 30/06/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

leomartin125

As the title states, I have recently learnt from GWR themselves that they are hosting some sort of promotional event on Thursday at London Paddington and apparently it involves the use of an IEP... Anyone know more?

The IEP in question is 800 004.

I have also asked the depot manager at Old Oak Common about this and he was oblivious to this event, whether that was him keeping hush or the truth I don't know.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pdeaves

Established Member
I can't add any more, save to say that if the event is true it would be nothing to do with Old Oak Common; the unit would come from North Pole.

smiffy9373

There is a special 1Z75, 11:44 from BTM to Padd on 30/06/16. Arriving into Padd at 14:17. Could be in connection with this event? Stops at Bath, Swindon ( 17 mins ) and Reading ( 19 mins ). Assuming to pick up various management guests etc.

Dhassell

Does anyone have any more info on this 'event', I'm still debating if I should go up and see it

Quoted from WNXX
"A GWR green hst is booked to operate a special for invited guests only from Bristol to Reading where the guests will change on to an IEP for the run into Paddington.

Timings from realtime trains are below.

HST
5Z74 11.15 St Philips Marsh to Bristol Temple Meads
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/V ... 0/advanced

1Z75 11.44 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington

5Z75 14.37 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads

IEP
11.19 North Pole IEP Depot to Royal Oak Sidings
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K ... 0/advanced

11.49 Royal Oak Sidings to Reading Traincare Depot

13.29 Reading Traincare Depot to Reading

13.42 Reading to London Paddington

15.01 London Paddington to North Pole IEP Depot
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K ... 0/advanced"

Last edited by a moderator:

bnm

Established Member
The special from Bristol, 1Z75, is also celebrating the 175th anniversary of the opening of Box Tunnel on 30th June 1841. Hence the headcode.

FGW_DID

Established Member
The event is to mark the 175th Anniversary of the first train to pass through Box Tunnel.

Invited guests only as per post #5

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
These links to RTT gives me a "Page 404 - Not Found" with this message:

"Hello! It appears that you took a wrong route back at Croxley Green Jn, as the rails to this page don't appear to exist anymore. Just in case there was meant to be a page here, we've told the permanent way team and they'll have a look into it."

Interesting .... !

virgintrain1

CmMOx54WYAAF1IA.jpg

bnm

Established Member
Promotional blurb .pdf from GWR attached.

Introduction:
ON THIS day 175 years ago, the last piece of the Great
Western Main Line opened when the first passenger
trains travelled through the iconic Box Tunnel. It
became known as God’s Wonderful Railway.

When Brunel built the Great Western Railway, it was
not just to link Bristol with London, but to link Great
Britain with the Americas, bringing an integrated travel
strategy to a Victorian public with a thirst for travel.
However, he also wanted journeys built for comfort and
speed. In 1831, while travelling on the Liverpool and
Manchester Railway, he wrote: “The time is not far off
when we shall be able to take our coffee and write
while going noiselessly and smoothly at 45 miles per
hour… let me try.” With these words, the vision for the
Great Western Railway was born.

Now, 175 years later, the railway is being prepared for
the next step to take train travel into a new era. The
biggest investment in the railway since Brunel is
mirrored by the start of the biggest fleet upgrade in a
generation. One that will see new or upgraded trains
on every part of the network.
Today, we mark the opening of one of Brunel’s greatest
engineering masterpieces and celebrate his vision in
creating a railway heritage full of innovation that
inspires us as we build a greater west.

Good to see a commitment to continue Pullman fine dining on the new trains. Although mention of restaurateur Mitch Tonks is a bit out of date. His association with GWR has ended and the current menus are his last. By the time the new fleet is on service there will be new menus.

Attachments

• compressed_2051913915.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 65

fgwrich

Established Member
I'm not sure that it's the final version of the livery, look at the passenger door, it doesn't contrast so falls foul of the disability access regs

I don't think it matters in this case anyway, as this is the door which should lead to the catering galley end, just like the VT Pendolino's.

I'll agree it does look cheap and half hearted - look at the grey fender sticking out like a sore thumb! But as it's clearly only being done for today, wont be a permanent application to the unit.

Still can't say I'm a fan of the livery though, it still is, no matter what lighting condition it's in, too dark for my liking.

455driver

Veteran Member
Still can't say I'm a fan of the livery though, it still is, no matter what lighting condition it's in, too dark for my liking.
Although I agree it is a bit dark at least it is a nice uncluttered livery without all the stupid swooshes some people are obsessed with!

I quite like it but wish it was a bit lighter.

Anyway, it appears my invite got lost in the post! :lol:

Last edited:

Envoy

Established Member
Are we to assume the name ‘Azuma’ given by Virgin to these trains just as they named the ‘Voyagers’? We certainly need a name for the fleet rather than called then IEP’s.

Nice to see that GWR have given the cab cars names. I think brass name plates would not have looked streamlined enough. I wonder what they will name the rest of the fleet? I hope that they do not use ‘naff' names such as those of TV programmes or steel mills. I would not mind them using the same names that were given to the Western Class back in the 60’s.

Established Member
Are we to assume the name ‘Azuma’ given by Virgin to these trains just as they named the ‘Voyagers’? We certainly need a name for the fleet rather than called then IEP’s.

Nice to see that GWR have given the cab cars names. I think brass name plates would not have looked streamlined enough. I wonder what they will name the rest of the fleet? I hope that they do not use ‘naff' names such as those of TV programmes or steel mills. I would not mind them using the same names that were given to the Western Class back in the 60’s.

Given that not all of the GWR ones are IEPs I agree, however the Azuma nameis just for the VTEC ones I believe.

Domh245

Established Member

Azuma is the name for the VTEC units. The GW units are still as yet unnamed (as a fleet)

Also, I am now pretty confused. The RAIL photos show 800004 as Sir Daniel Gooch, but the video from GWR's twitter shows it as Isambard Kingdom Brunel? Either way, it seems the naming precedent is historical figures associated with GWR

All Line Rover

Established Member
Has GWR gone for the ridiculously large kitchen in the leading carriage (therefore creating - as if this was even possible - even fewer standard class carriages than a 221), or is there a buffet instead?

jimm

Established Member
Has GWR gone for the ridiculously large kitchen in the leading carriage (therefore creating - as if this was even possible - even fewer standard class carriages than a 221), or is there a buffet instead?

GWR hasn't gone for anything - the interiors of these trains are to the specifications dictated by the Department for Transport.

Who cares how many standard class carriages there are, compared with a 221 - these trains still seat 70 or so more standard class passengers and more first class passengers than a not very Super Voyager :roll:

Last edited:

All Line Rover

Established Member
It was previously mentioned on this forum that the catering layout was the decision of the TOC.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
these trains still seat 70 or so more standard class passengers and more first class passengers than a not very Super Voyager :roll:

Not sure where you get those figures from. A 221 seats 230 standard class passengers (245 if Coach D didn't entirely consists of table seats). A 5 car 800 seats 270 standard class passengers (with a high density seating arrangement), according to the draft seating plan. So a difference of 25. Considering they are longer trains - and don't have an 'on-board shop' - I'd bloody well expect them to accommodate more passengers!

Almost two decades later, I was hoping we had learned not to create legions of wasted space, a la Coach K on 390s. If a 5 car 800 has 4 full standard class carriages - like a 221 - it will seat 320 standard class passengers.

Last edited:

FGW_DID

Established Member
Azuma is the name for the VTEC units. The GW units are still as yet unnamed (as a fleet)

Also, I am now pretty confused. The RAIL photos show 800004 as Sir Daniel Gooch, but the video from GWR's twitter shows it as Isambard Kingdom Brunel? Either way, it seems the naming precedent is historical figures associated with GWR

Reported on GWML Gen, one driving car carries the name IKB, the one at the opposite end is Gooch.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Why didn't they do the launch promotion from one of the Heathrow tracks? they could have then run it in and out in electric mode

snowball

Established Member
Azuma is Japanese for east so not appropriate for GWR.

Today's event is also under discussion in the Class 800 thread in the "Traction and Rolling Stock" subforum.

Status
Not open for further replies.