• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR refuse to pay valid Delay Repay claim, claiming ticket was invalid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dak31

I had a full price anytime single ticket from London to the Westcountry last week with a reserved seat , booked direct through GWR's website.

I was finished early so got to Paddington, no barriers and on to a service an hour earlier which had all of 3 other people in the carriage.

Anyhow in the end the train was delayed, bunged in the delay repay claim and the reply from GWR is "this ticket was not valid on that service".

I'm not overly worried about the delay repay but I am concerned if 'seat reservations required' means an anytime ticket isn't actually valid "anytime".

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
So I thought I might piggyback on this thread rather than starting a fresh one as it's related to reservations. I had a full price anytime single ticket from London to the Westcountry last week with a reserved seat , booked direct through GWR's website. I was finished early so got to Paddington, no barriers and on to a service an hour earlier which had all of 3 other people in the carriage. Anyhow in the end the train was delayed, bunged in the delay repay claim and the reply from GWR is "this ticket was not valid on that service". I'm not overly worried about the delay repay but I am concerned if 'seat reservations required' means an anytime ticket isn't actually valid "anytime".
No. They can't deny a delay compensation claim on that basis. They probably just didn't bother looking at your ticket correctly and hoped to make you go away.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
So I thought I might piggyback on this thread rather than starting a fresh one as it's related to reservations. I had a full price anytime single ticket from London to the Westcountry last week with a reserved seat , booked direct through GWR's website. I was finished early so got to Paddington, no barriers and on to a service an hour earlier which had all of 3 other people in the carriage. Anyhow in the end the train was delayed, bunged in the delay repay claim and the reply from GWR is "this ticket was not valid on that service". I'm not overly worried about the delay repay but I am concerned if 'seat reservations required' means an anytime ticket isn't actually valid "anytime".
I hope you'll go back to them and appeal.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I had a full price anytime single ticket from London to the Westcountry last week with a reserved seat , booked direct through GWR's website.

I was finished early so got to Paddington, no barriers and on to a service an hour earlier which had all of 3 other people in the carriage.

Anyhow in the end the train was delayed, bunged in the delay repay claim and the reply from GWR is "this ticket was not valid on that service".

I'm not overly worried about the delay repay but I am concerned if 'seat reservations required' means an anytime ticket isn't actually valid "anytime".
Please appeal and let us know what happens.

Vespa

Established Member
I had similar, I got a GWR "standard industry reply" your claim has been declined.
50+ minutes delay due to points failure, sent back a stern response stating I had photo evidence if the whole incident, times on information boards etc and the incident would already be logged by Network rail.

Got 100% of my fare refunded.

You need to get past the computer and have a real person to look at it.

Dak31

Well I've bunged an appeal in , though they give you all of 250 characters to explain the appeal. I'll report back later. .

Established Member
I wonder if their reasoning is because you had a reservation for a later service then you weren't actually delayed?

Not saying I agree but that might be why

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I wonder if their reasoning is because you had a reservation for a later service then you weren't actually delayed?

Not saying I agree but that might be why
The reservation a passenger holds is irrelevant (unless they hold an Advance ticket). The passenger must be trusted as to the service they state they intended to take.

Vespa

Established Member
Good news, the automatic complaints procedure act as a filter, it's always worth going one step up and have a human person to look at it.
Enjoy your winnings, don't spend it all at once :)

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
It's a little bizarre. Presumably if you'd not included the reservation you held in the image, or mentioned it, they would have approved it first time! If you'd booked the reservation separately from the ticket it would have been impossible for them to even know if you'd had one. I'm pleased to hear they paid.

Dak31

Well a useful few pounds back, though I was more concerned that I'd accidentally violated some ticketing constraint and my ticket was't actually valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.