• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Season ticket renewal (monthly to weekly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradleyd

South Wales, but from the flat Southlands of lincs
For the last two months I've had a monthly season ticket from Pontypridd to Bristol, as after moving I was still working in Bristol, but renewed last week to a weekly, as I only have one week left of work. On GWRs website, it says that they do not do delay repay on monthly tickets, but instead they do discount on renewals if delays during the month period were higher than a trigger point, and that this applies if you are renewing to a season ticket the same length or shorter.

When I went to renew, I was told that I can't get the discount because it is only for monthly tickets or longer.
Is this right? Does this mean then that because I've renewed to a weekly ticket, I can't get any recompense for my delays - there have been numerous times over the last month where I have had delays of over half an hour- as no delay repay is paid for monthly tickets.

How can this be fair?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
That's correct. Renewal discount only applies to season ticket purchases of one month's duration or longer. These are the rules which have been in existence since the start of privatisation, possibly longer.

Weekly seasons fall under Delay Repay and have always been treated more in line with singles/returns rather than month-plus seasons.

Fairness or not doesn't come into it. When schemes change, there are always some people who will lose out and some who will benefit more. The change into Delay Repay is a government-mandated change. Unless you are willing to spend additional resources to construct an argument and fight it out in a court of law, with no guarantee of success, chalk it down to experience. You can alternatively appeal to their better nature and give you a goodwill discount if you write a really long and winded complaint. There is no guarantee of success but if you don't ask, you won't get.

SteveM70

Established Member
It’s a very strange state of affairs when the only recompense for poor service is a discount for buying more of the same

bradleyd

South Wales, but from the flat Southlands of lincs
Hi BB21, thanks very much for confirming that for me. Had thought it may have just been the staff at temple meads being busy and not having time to look it up, rather than it being the actual case.

It's so annoying especially as one of the delays was on the second January, when there was a points problem near the Severn tunnel, so myself (plus about 100 others) got sent from Bristol up to Cheltenham, then on to a cross country to Cardiff, when we got to Gloucester we were then decanted and sent back to parkway and then over the Cardiff. I was on the original train which was cancelled as it got to patchway area.

This was especially annoying as my housemates had organised a birthday meal for me that night (should have been home by 7), instead got home at almost 11 :(

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
If there were some journeys which you experienced exceptional levels of delay, you would stand a better chance of some recompense. In your given case I would imagine an assertively worded letter would likely generate something.

Agreed it is very annoying when you are on the receiving end of poor services with seemingly no recourse to compensation. Whether it is worth pursuing will depend on what amount is at stake and how much you value your time.

I haven't checked but if there were any days when performance across the region were exceptionally poor, they may have declared void days, in which case you would be entitled to relevant refunds. I'm sure someone else on the forum can check for you.

island

Veteran Member
I haven't checked but if there were any days when performance across the region were exceptionally poor, they may have declared void days, in which case you would be entitled to relevant refunds. I'm sure someone else on the forum can check for you.
GWR has not declared any void days in the last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.