• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Shortage of Traincrew Weekend and During Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
There are mass cancellations over the GWR Network today due to a shortage of traincrew. Significant routes badly affected are Portsmouth Harbour, Severn Beach and others round Bristol and Gloucester area later in the day. Services in the Exeter area are affected with cancellations on Exmouth and Barnstaple routes. One route which has suffered very badly is between Bristol TM and Cardiff especially in view of great numbers attempting to travel to Cardiff for T20 Cricket between England and South Africa. Late Engineering Work due to a track defect at Patchway has resulted in an hourly service between the two locations and, due to running over one reversible line in both directions, the Portsmouth Harbour service is scheduled to run independently from Bristol TM. This arrangement is due to additional time built in for the SLW. Many passengers turned up at Bristol TM for the cricket and there was a frantic search to try and resource Coaches and taxies but coaches are in place to cover the cancellations to enable people to return following the end of the match. Of the trains that did run there were just 2 carriage formations which were insufficient and approx 50 passengers left behind at Filton Abbeywood.
The regular Sunday cancellations on the Paddington to Cheltenham route were, of course, taking place but there was a little relief today due to some of the South Wales to Paddington services (diverted via Gloucester due to track defect at Patchway) making special stops at Golden Valley stations.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I was at Bristol Temple Meads this morning. The 1103 to Cardiff Central was formed of a single 150, with it wedged solid and punters waiting on the platform from around 1050: when it did leave, approximately 40 or more were left behind. The 1303 was 2 x 153, which looked to be F&S but not to the extent the 1103 was about 10 minutes before departure. The 1203 was shown as cancelled shortly after the 1103 departed.

davetheguard

Established Member
I was at Exeter Central this morning catching a Paignton train that luckily WAS running. In the other direction -to Exmouth- the 09.44, 10.17, & 11.22 were all cancelled, leaving a single train at 10.48 running.

No reason was announced, but reading between the lines it sounded like a traincrew shortage; but looking at realtime trains this afternoon it says "planning error"

Whatever the reason, needless to say, a lot of people inconvenienced.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Are TOCs relying on train crew working OT or rest days more than they used to?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I was at Exeter Central this morning catching a Paignton train that luckily WAS running. In the other direction -to Exmouth- the 09.44, 10.17, & 11.22 were all cancelled, leaving a single train at 10.48 running.

No reason was announced, but reading between the lines it sounded like a traincrew shortage; but looking at realtime trains this afternoon it says "planning error"

Whatever the reason, needless to say, a lot of people inconvenienced.

The GWR Journey Check and NRE says shortage of train crew, but, could be have been a shortage created by a Plannong error.

father_jack

I was at Bristol Temple Meads this morning. The 1103 to Cardiff Central was formed of a single 150, with it wedged solid and punters waiting on the platform from around 1050: when it did leave, approximately 40 or more were left behind. The 1303 was 2 x 153, which looked to be F&S but not to the extent the 1103 was about 10 minutes before departure. The 1203 was shown as cancelled shortly after the 1103 departed.

A 150 was added to the 1303, 1323 to SVB was due to be caped so no point in having a unit sitting idle

Established Member
The GWR Journey Check and NRE says shortage of train crew, but, could be have been a shortage created by a Plannong error.

No, whoever did the translations at RTT has put the rostering/uncovered one to planning for some reason. They seem to have a few others that dig at planning...

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Realtimetrains isn't an official/accredited site, so I wouldn't consider it to be authoritative and in the event of a different source giving different information, I'd trust the other source. It's told me I've arrived in Platform 2 at Edinburgh Waverley when we actually went through 2 and crossed into 20, if I recall correctly.

PeterY

Established Member
Is it my imagination but is it now becoming a bit of a lottery traveling by train at the weekends? Last weekend, it was Greater Anglia turn, shortage of train crew.

NX

There is a ballot whether to accept a pay offer at the moment, so maybe BBQ day to make feelings known ?

headshot119

Established Member
Realtimetrains isn't an official/accredited site, so I wouldn't consider it to be authoritative and in the event of a different source giving different information, I'd trust the other source. It's told me I've arrived in Platform 2 at Edinburgh Waverley when we actually went through 2 and crossed into 20, if I recall correctly.

It uses the same open data provided by network rail as everyone else does, data which is pulled from official sources. Your dislike of the owner doesn't change that.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
GWR still providing 2 Car trains to convey cricket passengers back from Cardiff to Bristol TM this evening and passengers earlier left behind at Newport. Aggravated by cancellations. GWR twitter say all units in service but when trains between Bristol and Taunton and Severn Beach route cancelled, this is difficult to believe.

455driver

Veteran Member
There is a ballot whether to accept a pay offer at the moment, so maybe BBQ day to make feelings known ?

Can you provide anything to back up that assumption?

Oh and the payrise has been rejected by ASLEF, the drivers didnt get a chance to vote on it, because of they had I think it would have been accepted!

Nice try at the anti staff sentiment though. :roll:

Signed A GWR Driver!

455driver

Veteran Member
GWR still providing 2 Car trains to convey cricket passengers back from Cardiff to Bristol TM this evening and passengers earlier left behind at Newport. Aggravated by cancellations. GWR twitter say all units in service but when trains between Bristol and Taunton and Severn Beach route cancelled, this is difficult to believe.

Those trains will pick up their booked workings later in the day, if they send them to Cardiff what will work the (now uncovered) trips?

Oh and the payrise has been rejected by ASLEF, the drivers didnt get a chance to vote on it, because of they had I think it would have been accepted!

Signed A GWR Driver!

Isn't gwr compulsory Sundays outside the working week, so bbq Sundays don't exist on their network anyway?

the sniper

Established Member
Isn't gwr compulsory Sundays outside the working week, so bbq Sundays don't exist on their network anyway?

I don't know the T&Cs or Links on GWR, but compulsory/committed Sundays outside the week per se certainly aren't a barrier to a rather awkward BBQ Sunday. They do avoid a total shut down though, theoretically. The impact will vary by TOC or even depot though, depending how the committed Sundays have been negotiated and applied.

richw

Veteran Member
A driver under a pseudonym on another forum has posted that Sunday's are non compulsory, and they need to give only 1 weeks notice at his depot if they don't want to work a rostered Sunday. One weeks notice to find cover isn't right in my mind!

It's about time the railways moved out of the 1980s and become a 7 day workforce. Offer the drivers a compensation package, say a lump sum that it considerable enough for a nice holiday and I bet most would take it if the unions could somehow be shut up!
My former employer, non railway, no recognised union, offered each member of staff £2k to move from voluntary to compulsory Sundays. The workload was lower so we only needed 1 in 5 Sundays on the everyone works Sundays rota. I had a nice week in Tenerife and ended up working less Sundays over the year than when it was voluntary!

Rapidash

Didnt have any problems getting to and from work in Exeter yesterday. In true ironic fashion,the only cancelled train I saw on the board was an SWT one, heh.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
A driver under a pseudonym on another forum has posted that Sunday's are non compulsory, and they need to give only 1 weeks notice at his depot if they don't want to work a rostered Sunday. One weeks notice to find cover isn't right in my mind!

It's about time the railways moved out of the 1980s and become a 7 day workforce. Offer the drivers a compensation package, say a lump sum that it considerable enough for a nice holiday and I bet most would take it if the unions could somehow be shut up!
My former employer, non railway, no recognised union, offered each member of staff £2k to move from voluntary to compulsory Sundays. The workload was lower so we only needed 1 in 5 Sundays on the everyone works Sundays rota. I had a nice week in Tenerife and ended up working less Sundays over the year than when it was voluntary!

That only applies to HSS/LTV and drviers on the West who joined before 2003.

West Drivers have committed Sundays

philthetube

Established Member
With Sundays optional there will always be problems at certain times, Summer, Mothers Day, School Hols, international cricket matches etc.

At least they should be paid at a premium rate to have a chance or being covered

tiptoptaff

Established Member
With Sundays optional there will always be problems at certain times, Summer, Mothers Day, School Hols, international cricket matches etc.

At least they should be paid at a premium rate to have a chance or being covered

They are

Carntyne

Its the TOCs who generally don't want Sundays in the working week, not the unions.

NX

Signed A GWR Driver!

Hold your horses sunshine l, I received my ballot form whether to accept or not the RMT pay offer only late last week.

The option to not work Sunday has been well used over my 14yrs as a guard to show our displeasure at certain issues, I was offering an reason why there was such a shortage if crew on a.....Sunday.

West drivers at least have committed Sundays, i.e. They need to cover their own if they wish to have it off, West Guards and HSS I think are wholly voluntary.

Signed a former GWR Guard, now Signaller aka Loyal Railwayman.

Last edited by a moderator:

the sniper

Established Member

It would have to be more than that... Where I am even if a driver only does 20 Sundays a year they're getting over £4000 after tax. There are a good number of guys who will do pretty much every Sunday equalisation allows, which has normally meant them being able to work almost every Sunday in the year. So they're looking at nearly £9000. Then you've got guys who religiously attached to the concept of being guaranteed to have Sunday off, people who'll proudly make the point that they've not worked a Sunday since 1988/1981/1977... :lol: The latter will be the hardest to buy off, as they don't want/need the money.

Sundays in the week are coming, they've been negotiating them for some time, but they're valuable and selling them will come at a high price, with some T&Cs being thrown in too. It'll be a salary increase rather than a lump sum, at least primarily.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Why is not working a Sunday for decades seen as a badge of honour? Given that it means that others are carrying the workload and it contributes to passengers being messed about by cancellations, I wouldn't shout about it personally. I'm as keen on my days off as the next person, but I'm not sure I could look myself in the mirror with that kind of work ethic.

(I personally work in an office before anyone asks.)

Deepgreen

Established Member
Today has seen yet another day of serious disruption on the North Downs line with a combination of staff problems, train problems and signal issues. We were 'treated' to the rare sight of two successive passenger workings passing Betchworth within four minutes (the first non-stop, the second stopping).

The NDL continues to perform really badly, and it seems to be not only infrastructure constraints that are to blame.

Juniper Driver

Established Member

Yup it doesn't seem to be the unions to me.Like on my railway Sundays are in the working week and always have been.

FenMan

Established Member
Today has seen yet another day of serious disruption on the North Downs line with a combination of staff problems, train problems and signal issues. We were 'treated' to the rare sight of two successive passenger workings passing Betchworth within four minutes (the first non-stop, the second stopping).

The NDL continues to perform really badly, and it seems to be not only infrastructure constraints that are to blame.

National Rail reports the disruption is due to a signalling fault between Reading and Wokingham. No mention of GWR staffing or rolling stock problems.

The explanation appears to be consistent, as SWT (who may or may not also have staffing and rolling stock problems) are also experiencing significant disruption to Reading - Waterloo services.

Anyway, back to the subject of this thread ....

Status
Not open for further replies.