• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Shortage of Traincrew Weekend and During Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Not the best evening for the 387 stoppers out of Paddington, and looking at the GWR journey check carrying on into the night.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Not the best evening for the 387 stoppers out of Paddington, and looking at the GWR journey check carrying on into the night.

When I looked at Journey Check earlier there 40 cancellations in the LTV area. The disruption is bad enough to warrant an entry on NRES site.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
The same happens every year with FGW/GWR blaming the time of year for why trains are so busy.

Which is of course hilarious for those of us who use those services, as they are busy enough the rest of the year anyway. The crush loading due to the Bath xmas market etc just adds to the already existing issues, rather than being the issues themselves. And that is ignoring the other two issues that GWR are in control over (more units out for repair and not enough staff) that has made these last couple of months especially bad.

Non Multi

When I looked at Journey Check earlier there 40 cancellations in the LTV area. The disruption is bad enough to warrant an entry on NRES site.
Seems there aren't enough drivers with 387 traction knowledge yet. Welcome to the 'interesting' LTV transition period. With hindsight, the Turbo cascade should have been held back until they were actually ready to run more 387s.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Seems there aren't enough drivers with 387 traction knowledge yet. Welcome to the 'interesting' LTV transition period. With hindsight, the Turbo cascade should have been held back until they were actually ready to run more 387s.

A bit difficult when the Sprinter fleet is already leaving the franchise. What do you suggest, no trains in the Bristol area until LTV are good and ready to release some Turbos?

jimm

Established Member

Or a couple of GWR drivers due to work the late shift today may just have called in sick. In which case, what rolling stock is available will be neither here nor there.

Non Multi

A bit difficult when the Sprinter fleet is already leaving the franchise. What do you suggest, no trains in the Bristol area until LTV are good and ready to release some Turbos?
Rail replacement buses for LTV until things are sorted out?

Non Multi

Or a couple of GWR drivers due to work the late shift today may just have called in sick. In which case, what rolling stock is available will be neither here nor there.
The issue was flagged up on the GW Coffee Shop forum a few days ago. Was told to expect this on Monday and Tuesday.

nickswift99

I'd suggest buying shares in a private hire company in Reading. The last Reading - Didcot stopper has been cancelled yet again.

It's now becoming an almost weekly occurrence. It looks like all the overnight Paddington to Reading stoppers are cancelled too, so there could be some interesting taxi rides from Paddington. Good job it's not a Friday night in the run up to Christmas.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
If anyone's interested who isn't aware, the 17:25 Great Malvern train was cancelled from Oxford on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th (all being a few days ago) due to staff shortages.

There's a meeting somewhere in Reading regarding the future of the Great Western franchise (Reading is nearest / easier for me) on the 19/01/18. Times are to be confirmed.

If I go, and have a chance to speak in the microphone, I'm likely to politely make my point if possible.

When Turbos start running Portsmouth services later this year, I might have a trip to Bristol Temple Meads for around 2 hours and see what's going on if there's still frequent staff shortages by then. I may even take my clipboard with me !

jimm

Established Member
If anyone's interested who isn't aware, the 17:25 Great Malvern train was cancelled from Oxford on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th (all being a few days ago) due to staff shortages.

There's a meeting somewhere in Reading regarding the future of the Great Western franchise (Reading is nearest / easier for me) on the 19/01/18. Times are to be confirmed.

If I go, and have a chance to speak in the microphone, I'm likely to politely make my point if possible.

When Turbos start running Portsmouth services later this year, I might have a trip to Bristol Temple Meads for around 2 hours and see what's going on if there's still frequent staff shortages by then. I may even take my clipboard with me !

The staff shortages seem to have largely disappeared in the past couple of days - I'm sure there are all sorts of factors that people inside GWR may be able to explain. The only current cancellation on GWR journeycheck is the 10.45 Paddington to Swansea, which is being blamed on an earlier train failure.

In the case of the 16.22 from Paddington to Great Malvern this week, there seems to have been a particular difficulty related to the fact that Oxford drivers are yet to be trained on IETs. As a result, some drivers from Worcester are working duties at the moment that involve more travelling as passengers in trains or taxis than actual driving.

There is some detail of what's going on here http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=19201.15

Hopefully they will have sorted something out for next week, but the start of more 800 operations on the Cotswold Line from the 15th should make things easier when it comes to diagramming crews.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Reported by BBC Travel and NRE early this morning was that there could be no service on the Severn Beach line today due to shortage of train crews. However, the only cancellations are the buses arranged to cover. Trains running

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Regarding my comment about the 16:22 London to Great Malvern service, I think you've just told me some really useful information ! I mean it, not sarcastically don't worry!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Many Inter City services to Bristol TM, Swansea and Carmarthen cancelled or terminating short today due train crew shortages. As documented elsewhere insufficient IEP drivers to crew Cotswold Line trains, West (Regional) seems OK.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Seems that when there is a train for Swansea at Paddington, people are crammed in the front 5 carriages of the 800 with no seat reservations available and complaining that the rear 5 carriages of the of the 800 are empty due no crew member

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Please feel free to offer your expertise! I’m sure Train crew resources etc will appreciate your input.

Imagine if every time you took a faulty good back to the shop where you bought it you were told by that shop to give your expertise on how they should fix it! I don't think you would appreciate that response from the shop would you?

I don't think he needs to be an expert to know it needs sorting, people somewhere along the line need to start doing what they are paid for.

Precisely - in any other business an action plan would be put in place to resolve the situation. I hope this is happening in GWR- time will tell.

irish_rail

Established Member
Seems that when there is a train for Swansea at Paddington, people are crammed in the front 5 carriages of the 800 with no seat reservations available and complaining that the rear 5 carriages of the of the 800 are empty due no crew member
Saw one of these at Bristol parkway, seems the horrible ineffiecency of too many 5 car units is starting to bite .....

jimm

Established Member
Well we could perhaps try the fact that the nine-car sets ordered by the DfT were initially all intended to be electric-only, so not much use when it comes to replacing five-car Class 180s on the diesel-only Cotswold Line - or indeed replacing anything much at all due to the delays in installing the overhead wires. By the time the DfT decided to fit diesels to all the GW nine-car sets, the production schedule was already in place, with the five-car bi-modes first in line.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Today it looks as though it has been the turn of Padd-South Wales. 3 down services and 4 up services canned.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Please feel free to offer your expertise! I’m sure Train crew resources etc will appreciate your input.
Generally the way it works is that we passengers offer our “money” and we expect the train company to supply the “expertise” in return. Right now only one side of the bargain is being honoured.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Today it looks as though it has been the turn of Padd-South Wales. 3 down services and 4 up services canned.

Was not fun yesterday evening with Cardiff Central station already busy after the Cardiff V Man City FA cup game.
18:13, 19:13 and 20:13 Cardiff to London all cancelled, with passengers being told to board the Bristol Temple Meads bound services and change there. Problem was that those services are usually fairly busy anyway, and are usually 2 or 3 coaches, so adding a full HST's worth of passengers to those did not go well. I managed to get a seat (just due to knowing exactly where the stop sign is on P1) but it did not look comfortable for those getting on after me! God help anyone making cross London journeys from Cardiff yesterday evening!

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
So far so good this morning - just the one cancellation shown currently on GWR Journey Check and that is due to a train fault not traincrew shortage.

tgrb

I got the text from
Journey check about an hour ago......

"KEM to GCR on your route: 11:51, 13:51 - cancelled - a shortage of train crew."

I noticed yesterday (or maybe Friday) a few trains from Paddington to Taunton / WSM were being terminated at BRI due due driver shortages

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I got the text from
Journey check about an hour ago......

"KEM to GCR on your route: 11:51, 13:51 - cancelled - a shortage of train crew."

I noticed yesterday (or maybe Friday) a few trains from Paddington to Taunton / WSM were being terminated at BRI due due driver shortages

Also yesterday, there were some Paddington to Swanseas cancelled in each direction due to driver shortage on the same day of the England v Wales match at Twickers.

Status
Not open for further replies.