• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Shunter Assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.

leomartin125

Hi guys,

I have a GWR Shunter Assessment tomorrow, and the email that GWR have sent me state it will involve the following:

When you attend an assessment centre for a shunter you will sit three paper and pencil tests.
These tests are designed to assess the following competencies:
• Safety and Concentration
• Ability to follow Rules and Procedures
• Written Communication Skills

Can anyone explain what I should expect, I would like to also say that I am only 17 so am not expecting to be tested as rigorously as a train driver assessment once I am 21.

Thanks,
Leo

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

leomartin125

How did you get on at assessment?

Suprisingly well thank you! I heard back within just a few hours of doing the actual assessment which is very prompt! GWR have given me an Interview for the role of 'Yard Team Member' with the Depot Manager at Old Oak Common, if they like me then I have a medical assessment at some point before hopefully, starting the role. Very pleased about this.

leomartin125

Thanks very much guys! I'm just awaiting a date for my Yard Team Member interview now. As I'm only 17, turning 18 at the end of next month, I am very surprised they were even going to take me on for this position. How old do you have to be to become or train to become a shunter?

GB

Established Member
Minimum age for a safety critical role is 18 (21 for driver) which I would imagine would include any practical training.

Last edited:

Adam01

Hi Everyone,

How did your interview go in the end? I've just got the same email from FGW and I'm quite nervous. Did the assessment include the same sort of tests as a mainline driver position would? I've been practicing my group bourdon but, apart from that, I have no idea what to expect!

I hope it all went well for you,

Adam

steve ward

Hi guys,

I have a GWR Shunter Assessment tomorrow, and the email that GWR have sent me state it will involve the following:

Can anyone explain what I should expect, I would like to also say that I am only 17 so am not expecting to be tested as rigorously as a train driver assessment once I am 21.

Thanks,
Leo
I am sitting the paper and pencil test any chance can you divulge whats in the tests any help would be appreciated

Amex88

Someone will be taking my place then lol. Good luck guys! All the best. It's a great place to work. Great people and great for experience. All the best

ibrahim9140

Someone will be taking my place then lol. Good luck guys! All the best. It's a great place to work. Great people and great for experience. All the best

Hi mate, can you please tell us about the shift times and bit more about the job role day to day task.

Thank you.

Amex88

I cannot comment onumber shifts pal as they may change and tbh you will find all that out on the interview. Do not be afraid to ask questions when you are there. The depot manager is fantastic. Very nice person. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.