• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR sleeper Penzance to London

Status
Not open for further replies.
In June im doing the Penzance to London sleeper. Looking for some info from people who used it.

1) what time can you board at Penzance - it departs 2145.
2) what time do they serve the continental breakfast and is it brought to your cabin?.
3) what time do you have to be off train in london it arrives 0503.
4) how long is the lounge car open?.

Id love to know what people thought of the experience
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
From memory it boards at Penzance at 21.00.

At Paddington you can stay on until 07.00.

Can't answer about the lounge as I always just head straight for the berth, or the breakfast because I always get a fuller breakfast after arrival at whichever end...

As to the experience - it's good. :D

The lounge car is open all night and I've had breakfast in the lounge car and also brought to my cabin. They will also give you a wake up call 'knock at the door' at a time of your choice.

cambsy

On Moderation
I used it early February from Penzance to London, as part of 7 day 1st class ALR, think boarded about 9pm, didn’t use the lounge car as had used Pullman dining earlier in the day. The refurbished sleepers are really nice and swish, have hotel style key cards, which great if going to lounge etc, very modern inside and look and feel completely different to the Caledonian sleepers, had comfortable nights sleep, can recommend it, Shows what can be done with decent refurbishment to Mk3 sleeper.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
The refurbished sleepers are really nice and swish, have hotel style key cards, which great if going to lounge etc, very modern inside and look and feel completely different to the Caledonian sleepers, had comfortable nights sleep, can recommend it, Shows what can be done with decent refurbishment to Mk3 sleeper.

Head's at the wrong end of the bunk, though. Too many bits around to bump into! First thing I do on these is move the pillow to the door end...

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Whenever I have been on the Western sleeper the buffet car is open till you want to go to bed. Oddly i always seem to sleep better on the Western sleeper versus the Scottish one.

Warwick

I've used it a few times either from or to. In my experience it doesn't matter what time you asked to be called in the morning, every effort will still be made to get you off the train ASAP.

pieguyrob

Mainly because you get a berth to yourself. I snore loudly, so that's a good thing.

vlad

You'll agree a time for breakfast (and wake-up call if you want one) with the steward when you board. However, it's unlikely you'll be able to order for much later than 6am as they'll need to collect the empties and tidy up.

You can stay on till 7am, although as I've never waited that long I've no idea how forceful they are at making you get off.

You should be allowed access to the first-class lounge, so if you want something a bit more leisurely feel free to pop in for a tea and danish pastry.

Status
Not open for further replies.