• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR stabling points queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWalrus

Established Member
Where can trains be stabled across the GW network? And how many?
Specifically can you stable IETs overnight at Paignton, Exeter St David’s, Westbury, Banbury, Cheltenham, Gloucester, Worcester, Oxford, Carmarthen, Taunton, Weston, Cardiff? If yes how many trains/carriages?
I believe IETs stable at Hereford I see, how many 5 car sets can there?
Can a 387 or 165 stable at Newbury?
lots of questions but I appreciate your responses. Many Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Cardiff doesn't have any 800s. They either go to Maliphant or Stoke Gifford.

Can't comment on the rest I'm sorry!

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Cardiff doesn't have any 800s. They either go to Maliphant or Stoke Gifford.

Can't comment on the rest I'm sorry!

Cardiff does, the 800 off the last train from Paddington stables there Saturday night and forms the first London train on a Sunday. It’s done this ever since HST days.

JN114

Established Member
1x 4-387 or 1x 2/3-16x is often stabled Newbury overnight

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Class 800 IETs have strict rules as ro where they should be stabled overnight and they are controlled by Hitachi. They should be at North Pole, Stoke Gifford or Maliphant (Swansea). The 802s can be more flexible as GWR have the control.
As far as DMUs are concerned they can be found stabled at the main Depots, St.Philips Marsh and Exeter and stabled/serviced overnight at Laira, Penzance, Par, Taunton (Pl 6 Bay) Weymouth, Fratton, Westbury, Gloucester, Canton (Saturday night only). They could be stabled at odd locations in the event of Engineering Work when access to a recognised point becomes unavailable..
The Castle 2+4 HSTs can be found overnight at Penzance, Laira, Exeter New Yard and St. Philips Marsh

I have only listed the West side here rather than the LTV area with which I am not so conversant.

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Never knew that, thought it went back to Stoke Gifford.

Similar to the 158s off the last Pompeys go to Canton Saturday nights and which are 158s rather than Turbos due to TFW traction knowledge. It is difficult ro return them to PM on Saturdays due to Network Rail having carte blanche freedom to close routes to carry out work.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Similar to the 158s off the last Pompeys go to Canton Saturday nights and which are 158s rather than Turbos due to TFW traction knowledge. It is difficult ro return them to PM on Saturdays due to Network Rail having carte blanche freedom to close routes to carry out work.

Yeah, I've seen GWR stable 158s. I've seen a GWR 158 attached to a TFW 150 before now ECS from Canton (150 working Ebbw Vales).

TheWalrus

Established Member
Thanks for all your replies so far, this has really helped me!
could a unit or two be stabled at Truro?
Can IETs be stabled at Westbury and Exeter? I can’t understand why they don’t do this already?

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Class 800 IETs have strict rules as ro where they should be stabled overnight and they are controlled by Hitachi. They should be at North Pole, Stoke Gifford or Maliphant (Swansea). The 802s can be more flexible as GWR have the control.
As far as DMUs are concerned they can be found stabled at the main Depots, St.Philips Marsh and Exeter and stabled/serviced overnight at Laira, Penzance, Par, Taunton (Pl 6 Bay) Weymouth, Fratton, Westbury, Gloucester, Canton (Saturday night only). They could be stabled at odd locations in the event of Engineering Work when access to a recognised point becomes unavailable..
The Castle 2+4 HSTs can be found overnight at Penzance, Laira, Exeter New Yard and St. Philips Marsh

I have only listed the West side here rather than the LTV area with which I am not so conversant.

This isn’t strictly true - IIRC both fleets are under a TARA agreement but the 802s are more flexible. However 800s can outstable, as long as they maintain their interval visiting a depot.
From memory:
Hereford can outstable 1x 9-car train
Worcester Shrub Hill can outstable 2x 9-car and a third set preferably not longer than 5 cars
Oxford Up Sidings can outstable 2x 9 car
Exeter New Yard can outstable 1x 9 car

(For clarity a 5-car train can occupy a 9-car berth but not the other way around)

In theory, any location can outstable a set (or sets) overnight as long as either shore supply is provided or one engine is left running for train supply, which counts off the next day’s available set mileage, or a pantograph is left up, and the aforementioned maximum depot visit interval rules are complied with. Hence how the Saturday night Cardiff arrangements work.

Other non-depot overnighting locations normally include Swansea station (Maliphant can’t quite fit all the sets), London Paddington (if North Pole access blocked) and Bristol TM (overnight ECS from Cardiff MSX that goes straight into service next morning).

I may have overlooked somewhere but nothing springs to mind.

JN114

Established Member
This isn’t strictly true - IIRC both fleets are under a TARA agreement but the 802s are more flexible. However 800s can outstable, as long as they maintain their interval visiting a depot.
From memory:
Worcester Shrub Hill can outstable 2x 9-car and a third set preferably not longer than 5 cars

(For clarity a 5-car train can occupy a 9-car berth but not the other way around)

In theory, any location can outstable a set (or sets) overnight as long as either shore supply is provided or one engine is left running for train supply, which counts off the next day’s available set mileage, or a pantograph is left up, and the aforementioned maximum depot visit interval rules are complied with. Hence how the Saturday night Cardiff arrangements work.

Other non-depot overnighting locations normally include Swansea station (Maliphant can’t quite fit all the sets), London Paddington (if North Pole access blocked) and Bristol TM (overnight ECS from Cardiff MSX that goes straight into service next morning).

In certain weekend block/isolation scenarios the last up Taunton to Paddington IET sometimes terminates at Reading to stable and go empties to North Pole in the morning when the line reopens - stables in a platform mind not in Reading Depot.

TheWalrus

Established Member
Thanks again. I forgot to ask what about Goodrington Paignton?

TheWalrus

Established Member
From memory:

Where 9 cars can be stabled, can 10 cars be stabled (2x5)?

Clarence Yard

Established Member
Oxford and Exeter can do load 10 but Worcester and Hereford are best as load 9.

The use of stabling sidings is only done when it convenient for service start up and finish purposes. Both classes of IET unit need to see a designated maintenance depot at a maximum interval of every 36 hours or 1500 miles.

So SX, the IET units on South West services go to Penzance Long Rock, Plymouth Laira, Bristol Stoke Gifford and London North Pole depots. They outstable at Exeter New yard. The IET units on other GWR services go to Swansea Maliphant, Bristol Stoke Gifford and London North Pole depots. They outstable at Worcester, Hereford and Oxford and Swansea station, after servicing at Maliphant.

387 units go to Reading depot, West Ealing and Swindon Cocklebury.

165 units in the London area go to Reading depot, Redhill sidings (when it is fit to do so!) and Oxford.

In the West, 15x and 16x units use (SX) Penzance Long Rock, Plymouth Laira, Exeter, Bristol SPM and Fratton depots. They outstable at Par, Weymouth, Westbury and Gloucester together with using Penzance and Bristol TM stations. Exeter St Davids is also used for units after servicing at the nearby depot. Taunton platform 6 has also been recently used during the rebuilding work at Exeter depot.

The GTi HST sets see Penzance Long Rock, Plymouth Laira, Bristol SPM and Exeter overnight.

On Moderation
Oxford and Exeter can do load 10 but Worcester and Hereford are best as load 9.

The use of stabling sidings is only done when it convenient for service start up and finish purposes. Both classes of IET unit need to see a designated maintenance depot at a maximum interval of every 36 hours or 1500 miles.

36 hours to visit a maintenance depot seems a little restrictive. For example, does an early start on day 1 (ie 0500) need to be back on a depot by 1700 the following day ?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
36 hours to visit a maintenance depot seems a little restrictive. For example, does an early start on day 1 (ie 0500) need to be back on a depot by 1700 the following day ?

Wouldn't the 36 hours be time actually in traffic

py_megapixel

Established Member
There is definitely a stabling siding capable of acommodating a single IET at Cheltenham. Whether it's used overnight I couldn't tell you, sorry.

On Moderation
Wouldn't the 36 hours be time actually in traffic
Possibly. My experience of maintenance regimes has been either mileage based or days run. (I am aware that ’engine hours’ are still used for locos but didn’t think it was used for modern stock).

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
It is hours off depot. To my knowledge the intensity of the work during the interim period is not taken into account.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
Correct - it's time from handover to GWR at depot to time of handback to Hitachi at depot - 36 hours maximum and the unit can't go more than 1500 miles during that time.

That is why units that have been stabled at Worcester or Hereford overnight tend to visit a depot the following morning for their mandatory maintenance windows.

On Moderation
Correct - it's time from handover to GWR at depot to time of handback to Hitachi at depot - 36 hours maximum and the unit can't go more than 1500 miles during that time.

That is why units that have been stabled at Worcester or Hereford overnight tend to visit a depot the following morning for their mandatory maintenance windows.
Thanks. Simplistic view is that out stabled sets have a visit to North Pole after an Up/Peak working for a ‘wheel count’, which then resets the clock ?

There is definitely a stabling siding capable of acommodating a single IET at Cheltenham. Whether it's used overnight I couldn't tell you, sorry.
No, the IET's terminating at Cheltenham run ECS to Stoke Gifford, while the last Swindon stopper runs back ECS to Gloucester sidings.

TheWalrus

Established Member
Thanks allmagain for your helpful replies! Also can they not stable in the sidings at Truro? Or in platform 3?

FGW_DID

Established Member
It’s timed from the whenever the unit was last prepped.
16X / 387 = 28 hrs.
80X = 36 hrs.

A unit could be prepped, and sit spare unused, on the depot, when the respective time has elapsed it needs a fresh prep, even if it’s not been in traffic.

Pugland53

From memory:

Trains left at Cardiff on a Saturday night are usually fully shut down (Auxed off) not left under power all night.

cb00

It’s timed from the whenever the unit was last prepped.
16X / 387 = 28 hrs.
80X = 36 hrs.

A unit could be prepped, and sit spare unused, on the depot, when the respective time has elapsed it needs a fresh prep, even if it’s not been in traffic.

What exactly is involved in prepping a train under the 36 hour/1500 mile interval?

Status
Not open for further replies.