• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR staff not accepting Travelcards on pink LU stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbeech

Established Member
An interesting one this morning at Paddington. A passenger a couple of rows in front of me in a queue for the manual ticket check was disallowed entry to the platforms due to his Travelcard being on pink London Underground ticket stock. The member of staff said that that was the wrong ticket and he needed to go to the ticket office to have it changed. He was travelling to Ealing Broadway, no doubt on TfL rail that could be accessed from that barrier. Unfortunately I was rushing to catch a train myself so couldn’t really assist (not that it is my job to).
I was rather confused. Im not sure if the member of staff was suggesting that the ticket was invalid (which is incorrect) or whether the ticket stock used was unacceptable to use on the train he wanted to catch (which is incorrect).

Has anyone else been told that pink London Underground ticket stock travelcards are not valid on NR within the area that a travelcard is valid?
Is there any reason why anyone would ever think this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TFN

Could the passenger have one of those new Visitor passes and not a travelcard? Those visitor passes aren't allowed on NR.

Interestingly are those Visitor Passes allowed only on TfL Rail services from Paddington and not GWR? Or is it not valid on TfL Rail either?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
AFAIK Visitor Passes are valid on TfL Rail but not on GWR (or any other National Rail services, although they should be valid on the inter-available rail National Rail services such as Finsbury Park - Kings Cross).

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What platform was the person trying to get access to? - You cannot access the high numbered platforms where a local train would depart from from the barrier line to platforms 2-5. Could this have been why the ticket was refused - trying to board a local train from the wrong platforms?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Although a travelcard on TfL ticket stock with an appropriate Boundary Zone ticket would be valid on a long distance train from a low numbered platform.

robbeech

Established Member
What platform was the person trying to get access to? - You cannot access the high numbered platforms where a local train would depart from from the barrier line to platforms 2-5. Could this have been why the ticket was refused - trying to board a local train from the wrong platforms?
This was at the barrier to.... is it 11? The one at 90 degrees to the barriers for the lower numbered platforms.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Those barriers almost always reject Gold Card discounted one day travelcards so I wouldn't necessarily say the ticket was invalid.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Those barriers almost always reject Gold Card discounted one day travelcards so I wouldn't necessarily say the ticket was invalid.
I'm not sure if this is still the case, but they used to reject all Super Off Peak Travelcards too.
Has anyone else been told that pink London Underground ticket stock travelcards are not valid on NR within the area that a travelcard is valid?
Is there any reason why anyone would ever think this?
It has been brought to my attention that valid tickets on LU ticket stock have been known to be rejected by poorly trained ticket inspectors of some of the less reputable train companies operating in the London area, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.