• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Strike Timetables

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil G

Are you sure the app showed no trains? If it didn’t it was most likely a technical issue rather than intentional, the app should show the strike timetable, as every other journey planner.

I know it was showing Bath - Bristol journeys earlier in the day, so would be highly surprised if it didn’t show Chippenham. It seems to be showing them for Monday too.
Well I'm a senior software engineer so know my way around apps so hopefully it wasn't user error. I've also been using the GWR app since it came out and at one point led a tender to replace it (sadly we were unsuccessful).

I'd been looking for 3 days prior and tickets were available in the days leading up to Saturday but as soon as the date was set to Saturday a message was displayed saying no tickets available for this journey. I was wondering if it was an attempt at capacity management . Anyway over and done with but I thought it was a classic example of miscommunication. It did make me question the other apps and websites and we arrived at the station almost expecting it to not be running (if I'd not seen it leave Paddington on RTT).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Benjwri

Established Member
I'd been looking for 3 days prior and tickets were available in the days leading up to Saturday but as soon as the date was set to Saturday a message was displayed saying no tickets available for this journey. I was wondering if it was an attempt at capacity management
Ah I assumed you meant via the ‘live trains’ tab. Sometime the GWR site and app stop selling tickets it seems when an IET service becomes overly busy, I’ve seen it happen on non strike days, so it isn’t hard to believe the normal system kicked in when the trains were even more packed. NRE and RTT do not sell tickets and therefore will show any service. The live train times tab is the best place to check a service is running if you do want to check a service is running.

Obviously it goes without saying that reservations aren’t required for IETs, so regardless of if fares show it’s available, as long as you have a ticket valid for that train you may travel on it, as you did.

Jamiescott1

Looks like not many people followed the do not travel advise.
0732 from maidenhead to padd full and standing on arrival into maidenhead.
0740 liz line starting at maidenhead full at Slough. No one can board at immediate stations

Parallel

Established Member
Looks like not many people followed the do not travel advise.
0732 from maidenhead to padd full and standing on arrival into maidenhead.
0740 liz line starting at maidenhead full at Slough. No one can board at immediate stations
Is there advice not to travel?

The only advice I’ve seen for this set of strikes (including the Saturday just gone) from GWR is ‘trains are expected to be busier than normal’.

Jamiescott1

The gwr app is showing some strange things. Live departures from Paddington not displaying and showing arrivals from destination WBRNPKS (which are cancelled )

Annoyingly as well. Due to strike I couldn't travel to work Saturday so put in my delay repay request for season ticket and it was rejected.
Should win on appeal

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.