• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Take on the Jerusalema Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steddenm

Staff at Paddington station from GWR, Heathrow Express and Network Rail have taken on the TikTok trend, the Jerusalema Challenge.

In the full video a steam train arrives into Platform 1.

Does anybody know when this was filmed? It seems the station was open at the time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
It was live streamed on their Facebook page on 19th August. Seems to also have been during the night as well.

Last edited:

Blinkbonny

Thoroughly enjoyed that - though I have no Idea what this "Challenge" is supposed to be about.

Well done GWR.

Established Member
Staff at Paddington station from GWR, Heathrow Express and Network Rail have taken on the TikTok trend, the Jerusalema Challenge.

Does anybody know when this was filmed? It seems the station was open at the time.

There was a steam train which passed Tilehurst at about 23:00ish last night. I assume it was on arrival of that?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
It's multiple shots stitched together as after 5:30 that's a live one.

Darandio

Established Member
Yeah, looks like some footage from 19th August and some more recent.

pompeyfan

Established Member
I’m just waiting for the usual “what a waste of tax payers money” from the usual cretins like JHB and Lawrence Fox

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
The live show was done on the 19th, and the night shots (technically their practice) on 14/15th.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Thoroughly enjoyed that - though I have no Idea what this "Challenge" is supposed to be about.

Well done GWR.
In very simple terms it's doing the dance to the Master KG and Nomcebo piece 'Jerusalema'.

Steddenm

The "challenge" was started by the Federal Department of Jusice and Police (Eidgenössisches Justiz- und Polizeidepartment/Département fédéral de justice at police/Dipartimento federal di giustozia e polizia) in Switzerland to help bring a smile on residents' faces throughout lockdown and was swiftly followed by the Irish Police Service (An Garda Síochána) and then went viral.

Our train companies have lost the plot this week! Firstly Southeastern come up with the silly Citybeam name and then East Coast Trains Limited come up with silly Lumo name and now we have this nonsense from GWR! What happened to train companies being able to focus on just running trains! We never used to have this nonsense!

This must have cost a considerable amount of money seeing that they made a rather professional looking video to post online. These kind of things are certainly not cheap. Especially when you hire professionals to record and edit these kinds of videos. It really does not seem like a sensible use of money to me. Especially when our fares are so high this sort of thing does not look good.

Also how is it a "Challenge" exactly? I fail to see what the "Challenge" part of this is? Is it not just some GWR staff dancing to some music? Or am i missing something here?

I notice that the station is very quiet in this video but it is still fully light outside the station. So i am guessing that this was done on a Sunday Morning most likely. Maybe around 07:00 or 08:00 or something like that.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
This must have cost a considerable amount of money seeing that they made a rather professional looking video to post online.
No it wouldn't have cost a lot of money, that's someone from the press office with a digital camera. It's not been "professionally shot".

fgwrich

Established Member
Our train companies have lost the plot this week! Firstly Southeastern come up with the silly Citybeam name and then East Coast Trains Limited come up with silly Lumo name and now we have this nonsense from GWR! What happened to train companies being able to focus on just running trains! We never used to have this nonsense!

This must have cost a considerable amount of money seeing that they made a rather professional looking video to post online. These kind of things are certainly not cheap. Especially when you hire professionals to record and edit these kinds of videos. It really does not seem like a sensible use of money to me. Especially when our fares are so high this sort of thing does not look good.

Also how is it a "Challenge" exactly? I fail to see what the "Challenge" part of this is? Is it not just some GWR staff dancing to some music? Or am i missing something here?

I notice that the station is very quiet in this video but it is still fully light outside the station. So i am guessing that this was done on a Sunday Morning most likely. Maybe around 07:00 or 08:00 or something like that.

No it wouldn't have cost a lot of money, that's someone from the press office with a digital camera. It's not been "professionally shot".

Indeed. The quality offered from an IPhone really can fool anyone these days, it’s good enough that a number of music videos are using them too.

SeanG

It may have cost money to produce, and may not really be railway related, but it is in effect free advertising.
It's not my cup of tea and I don't see how it is challenging, but can't really knock them for trying something different to billboards, TV adverts etc.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Indeed. The quality offered from an IPhone really can fool anyone these days, it’s good enough that a number of music videos are using them too.
Although ironically, the iPhone adverts themselves did not, despite claiming to do so!

skyhigh

Established Member

I’m just waiting for the usual “what a waste of tax payers money”
:D

For what it's worth, I don't see an issue with it. Certainly didn't cost much if anything, and if staff want to do it in their free time I don't see anything wrong with that.

The exile

Established Member
:D

For what it's worth, I don't see an issue with it. Certainly didn't cost much if anything, and if staff want to do it in their free time I don't see anything wrong with that.
Even if it wasn’t their free time, after the last year and a bit, ifitsybelped raise staff morale….

pompeyfan

Established Member
Even if it did cost money, GWR press would have a budget of X amount a year, and they may have decided to fund this rather than Radio or TV adverts. They certainly wouldn’t have gone cap in hand to the DfT for additional funds. It’s money already spent.

I’m quite a fan of the Ryanair version filmed at Porto airport, but it doesn’t make me like the business model of the airline anymore!

AM9

Veteran Member
Not really, but the music video target audience is generally tolerant of lower technical standards, especially when the subject matter is chosen within the cinematic capabilities of iphones etc..

londonteacher

But this is only negative in some people's mind! If it causes that much distress for individuals, write to the companies and complain and be prepared for it not to change anything.

City Beam is a marketing ploy to promote new stock and if publicised well will get normal passengers talking. Lumo is to make it easier to remember for the general public and East Coast sounds too much like VTEC and East Coast and would cause confusion. This video is a bit of fun to promote the railways - depending on how it's used it will subconsciously motivate some people to get back to the fun of the railway. The railway is not just for the rail enthusiasts, it's for the general public who from my memory of Media A Level have historically loved this kind of thing.

Ediswan

Established Member
Consumer level video has been good enough quailty for broadcast for years. The equipment continues to shrink. TV companies still go out of their way to label or degrade such content. I assume it is to keep the professionals/unions happy, but that is an assumption. (I do understand that a lot more goes into making a good video than the original recordings.)

Established Member

Oh get a grip. Staff most likely did it in there own time. Filmed by there own GWR staff, most likely a member of there social media team.
In a way its advertising for the company, some light hearted fun, and a bit of an uplift for the staff.
Don't like it, then done watch it.

I thought that was a joy to watch. Quite uplifting in its own way
I agree, I enjoyed it, and it's also made me Google the other videos from other countries.

Carntyne

It must take some amount of energy to be so negative. It would have cost literally nothing to do.

The Prisoner

I bet you are fun at parties.

AM9

Veteran Member

This must have cost a considerable amount of money seeing that they made a rather professional looking video to post online. These kind of things are certainly not cheap. Especially when you hire professionals to record and edit these kinds of videos.
This is not a professional looking video. The camera is very unsteady and framing is inconsistent. Some of the highs including the violet spots are burnt out and the focus is sometimes all over the place. The guy does in-house video for GWR which I imagine is on an as-required basis. If the video was shot on an iphone, then he's made a good fist of it but the lack of finesse that a smartphone camera sensor has lets it down. The frame rate also seems to be variable which is typical for a phone. I could go on but it would be OT.
The video achieves what it was intended but I wouldn't call it "rather professional".

Status
Not open for further replies.