• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Tender for 30 x 4 car EMUs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
"The EMUs are expected to be operated anywhere on the electrified portion of the GWR network, primarily operating between London Paddington to Swindon, with the ability to cover services onto Cardiff"

It doesn't look like any services currently start at Swindon. Could this to be to allow Paddington to Reading services to be extended to Swindon?

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
GWR Tender for 30 x 4 car EMUs for the Thames Valley Services. Do they need them? Surely the 387s don't need replacing yet?

The 387s are only leased by GWR, putting a tender out will make sure the best option is chosen going forward in terms of value for money.

Signal_Box

30 x 379's ...... just saying !!

It would seem the best option all round, crew will be familiar with them overall maybe a conversion. Fitting staff likewise, the family are certified to Cardiff (the electrostars) four car sets and fit the required number of sets.

But why ? The wires haven’t extended beyond the limits of December 2019, unless there is a plan to displace IETs on some Cardiff jobs to move them onto Swansea, West Country and Worcester line maybe?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It would seem the best option all round, crew will be familiar with them overall maybe a conversion. Fitting staff likewise, the family are certified to Cardiff (the electrostars) four car sets and fit the required number of sets.

But why ? The wires haven’t extended beyond the limits of December 2019, unless there is a plan to displace IETs on some Cardiff jobs to move them onto Swansea, West Country and Worcester line maybe?
They’d replace 33x 387s. They’re not extras.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
They aren't intended to be additional - the tender notice is fairly clear on that point. It would allow 387s to go elsewhere if the price is right. Indeed, if the price isn't right, the 387s will most likely stay and there will be no change to the GWR fleet.

Signal_Box

I have it, it’s to cover the IET modifications program over the five years it’ll take.

So 387s would be the logical and cost effective solution.

jw

"The EMUs are expected to be operated anywhere on the electrified portion of the GWR network, primarily operating between London Paddington to Swindon, with the ability to cover services onto Cardiff"

It doesn't look like any services currently start at Swindon. Could this to be to allow Paddington to Reading services to be extended to Swindon?
I believe many of the current 387s stable overnight at Cocklebury Sidings, just close to Swindon.

Signal_Box

They aren't intended to be additional - the tender notice is fairly clear on that point. It would allow 387s to go elsewhere if the price is right. Indeed, if the price isn't right, the 387s will most likely stay and there will be no change to the GWR fleet.

If they’d replace the current fleet why only a five year lease ?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
If they’d replace the current fleet why only a five year lease ?
It aligns with the National Rail Contract they are trying to set up. The other proposed lease renewals - eg of 16x are also to June 2028.

On Moderation
How so? The program will take five years, the lease proposal is for five years..

If it isn’t, why is it then?
Because they are getting trains fleets in place for the next 5 years operating contract. They can't lease beyond the end date of that agreement as a) DfT would have to agree it and b) it would need a Section 54 agreement to do so.

Melancholia

They aren't intended to be additional - the tender notice is fairly clear on that point.
I'm sorry but I may be missing this, where in the tender does it state that they are to replace existing rolling stock (387s), and are not additional?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I'm sorry but I may be missing this, where in the tender does it state that they are to replace existing rolling stock (387s), and are not additional?
The notice reads with my bold text:

"Great Western Railway (GWR) is seeking expressions of interest from suppliers for provision of a fleet of 30 x 4-car electric multiple units (EMUs) to deliver existing London Thames Valley services, to the current sectional running times (SRTs), with at least the same seated and crush laden capacity, from the 1st of April 2023 to the 29th May 2028."

Moreover, it goes on to say "Our current fleet is maintained in house at Reading Depot, supported by a TSSSA. It is our intention that maintenance provision continues in this manner."

It would seem very unlikely that Reading depot could accommodate another 30 units on top of its existing allocation.

DanNCL

Established Member
Porterbrook will likely offer the 387s already used by GWR for this tender, will most likely win it, and as far as passengers are concerned nothing changes. This'll most likely be to make sure they can get as cheap a lease as possible on the 387s. The only reason I could see the 387s going is if Akiem undercut Porterbrook with an offer on the 379s.

skyhigh

Established Member
Porterbrook will likely offer the 387s already used by GWR for this tender, will most likely win it, and as far as passengers are concerned nothing changes. This'll most likely be to make sure they can get as cheap a lease as possible on the 387s. The only reason I could see the 387s going is if Akiem undercut Porterbrook with an offer on the 379s.
Why would they be tendering for 30 units when they currently have 33 (not including the Heathrow Express ones) if they're expecting to keep the 387s?

I think it's a lot more likely there is a potential future home lined up for the 387s, and this tender is looking into replacing them on GWR.

Status
Not open for further replies.