• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR operating short 'HSTGTi' sets (see diagrams section for workings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

S-Bahn

Drivers require time converting to the Castle Sets as there are differences, i.e. doors for one thing. I don't know what Swansea to Cheltenham HSTs are supposed to be and was the information reliable. Short HSTs have been considered by TFW but seems to be dead in the water what with the extensive training required both with drivers and the length of training time required.

Which is a shame as short set HST's would be a good interim solution to TFW's stock shortages.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Drivers require time converting to the Castle Sets as there are differences, i.e. doors for one thing. I don't know what Swansea to Cheltenham HSTs are supposed to be and was the information reliable. Short HSTs have been considered by TFW but seems to be dead in the water what with the extensive training required both with drivers and the length of training time required.
The person who posted is very reliable, although obviously I can’t comment on the TfW person who gave him that information. It still seems curious as to why Swansea drivers are needed to operate the sets - I’m guessing the sets all start and end their day in Bristol so surely Bristol or Cardiff crew would be enough?

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Which is a shame as short set HST's would be a good interim solution to TFW's stock shortages.

Yes but by the time you train staff to drive them, operate them and maintain them which they’ve never done before it’s not exactly ‘interim’

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The person who posted is very reliable, although obviously I can’t comment on the TfW person who gave him that information. It still seems curious as to why Swansea drivers are needed to operate the sets - I’m guessing the sets all start and end their day in Bristol so surely Bristol or Cardiff crew would be enough?

There are no GWR drivers based at Cardiff to start with. Swansea drivers will only work between Cardiff and Bristol and they could go on and then work to London. Now most of them are HSTs Swansea can get involved as they couldn't when they were units so can now be more productive.

Clarence Yard

Established Member

Not just an interim solution and just for TFW either. There was rumoured interest from at least one other, apart than GWR, in the modified GTi sets but the delayed programme and the DfT’s apparent baulking at the proposed cost has ended that one.

If Wabtec had got it’s production line really going on time, they could have had a nice number going for them. Now there is going to be plenty of decent quality DMU rolling stock (some of which is relatively modern) coming up in the next two and a bit years, all of which will be far cheaper to finance and run than a modified GTi.

Railperf

Established Member
Can someone please check the following diagram posted in the frequently requested diagrams thread:

2P49 1555 Newton Abbot to Plymouth, seems to continue directly to Penzance rather than terminating at Plymouth and then forming the 2C51 1755 Plymouth to Penzance

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Can someone please check the following diagram posted in the frequently requested diagrams thread:

2P49 1555 Newton Abbot to Plymouth, seems to continue directly to Penzance rather than terminating at Plymouth and then forming the 2C51 1755 Plymouth to Penzance

This is correct. Perhaps it has been swapped and used to work 1645 for operating or Maintenance purposes

Popped out this morning, near Nailsea, to photograph the 06.00 EXD - BPW short hst that comes out of Laira on a weekday morning & was pleasantly surprised to find it was 43172 Harry Patch on the Bristol end with 43022 on the Exeter end ?
There has been some sort of problem on the line between Bristol, WSM & Taunton so timings are about 5 or 10 mins down but for anyone interested it should be running 2C79 14.00 CDF - TAU (BRI 14.53)
2U24 16.07 TAU - CDF (BRI 17.21)
2C89 19.00 CDF - TAU (BRI 19.55)
& 5C89 21.04 TAU - CDF ECS to SPM
Also i've been looking at getting photos of the green power cars & am assuming that some maybe are being used on the training runs in the Swansea area ?

nat67

Established Member
Popped out this morning, near Nailsea, to photograph the 06.00 EXD - BPW short hst that comes out of Laira on a weekday morning & was pleasantly surprised to find it was 43172 Harry Patch on the Bristol end with 43022 on the Exeter end ?
There has been some sort of problem on the line between Bristol, WSM & Taunton so timings are about 5 or 10 mins down but for anyone interested it should be running 2C79 14.00 CDF - TAU (BRI 14.53)
2U24 16.07 TAU - CDF (BRI 17.21)
2C89 19.00 CDF - TAU (BRI 19.55)
& 5C89 21.04 TAU - CDF ECS to SPM
Also i've been looking at getting photos of the green power cars & am assuming that some maybe are being used on the training runs in the Swansea area ?
Yes recently it had been 43189+43041.

leb37

If it is of interest to anyone, 4-Car HST with 43172 leading currently in Platform 3 at Taunton waiting to run 1A37 to Paddington. Presumably this is as a result of the disruption around Paddington this evening.

gaillark

If it is of interest to anyone, 4-Car HST with 43172 leading currently in Platform 3 at Taunton waiting to run 1A37 to Paddington. Presumably this is as a result of the disruption around Paddington this evening.
Probably will have a 'tip out' at Temple Meads sadly for an IET.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

It would appear that 5C89 21+04 Taunton to St PhilipsMarch off 2C89 1900 from Cardiff was commandeered. The incoming from Paddington was, as you say, cancelled

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This thread is to discuss the actual trains themselves.

Details of allocations, diagrams and workings belong in a different section of the forum.

Therefore, would someone like to create a new thread to discuss allocations, diagrams and workings of these trains?

nat67

Established Member
There is move from St Phillip's Marsh-Doncaster today could it be 43158 going up? It shows it to be a HST.

Railperf

Established Member
How many of the 'castle' sets have been completed and are in regular service? I'm guessing around 4 or 5 of the 11 based on seeing some 'classic' short sets on both Penzance and Taunton services.

DannyMich2018

How many of the 'castle' sets have been completed and are in regular service? I'm guessing around 4 or 5 of the 11 based on seeing some 'classic' short sets on both Penzance and Taunton services.
Only four have been done so far, just like the Scotrail conversions this is a painfully slow project, 1st was released March last year, 2nd in December and only two so far this year so 7 more to go......Hence Classic ones are seeing some use one many services such as Taunton to Cardiff untill all are done which might be quite a while....

Saw a photo on Flickr of 43122 & 43153 at Wabtec with some coaches. Looks like GW05 is not far off from being released.

TJDevon

Could someone please confirm the seating capacity of the Castle/Classic sets. Possibly all high density coaches?

Spirit555

This might sound a daft question, but does anyone have a list of the renumbering's for 481xx and 491xx.

Some have apparently been renumbered twice. Trying to keep up to date with them.

Any help much appreciated

MTIA

Mark

The newest set, GW05, is working 3Z52 1434 Plymouth - Penzance today (powercars 43016 - 43122). Presumably crew training.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Could someone please confirm the seating capacity of the Castle/Classic sets. Possibly all high density coaches?

I think the seating layout is the same in coaches A, B, C and D when they were 8-coach sets.

Assuming yes, that's like 28 table seats. The disabled spaces and priority seating are a heck of an improvement over the 150's and Turbos. Plus there would therefore be a single seat at the guards van end of the passenger area in Coach A - handy if you want a seat to yourself!

Status
Not open for further replies.