• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Train Driver talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goingloco

It's GWR's game, GWR's rules if you don't like it pull up stumps and play elsewhere, it's not compulsory......

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Devon156

You going to try and apply for other jobs with GWR so that you can open up the internal option?
Yes and been rejected from the Shunter role and a Customer Service role so starting to run out of options with GWR. I have also applied for Trainee Driver with DB Cargo at St Blazey.

Daydr3am3r

Yes and been rejected from the Shunter role and a Customer Service role so starting to run out of options with GWR. I have also applied for Trainee Driver with DB Cargo at St Blazey.

Ah ok fair enough, I presume that customer service role was recent so excludes you from applying for the current Conductor vacancy?

Must be frustrating but hang in there, you have already shown great determination and perseverance. You will get there.

Devon156

Ah ok fair enough, I presume that customer service role was recent so excludes you from applying for the current Conductor vacancy?

Must be frustrating but hang in there, you have already shown great determination and perseverance. You will get there.
Yes applied for both jobs in the last month so unlikely I will get a job with GWR this year with the six month rule. I still don't know why I failed my DMI.

PaulBusDriver

Hi Guys, I was hoping anybody could furnish me with some information if possible. I have received the email following my MMI which said I have completed the stage 2 assesments and timescales could be extended due to workforce requirements.
Im wondering if anybody has any idea where I stand, I've got 10 days holiday booked in october and Im wondering if I have a DMI offered to me which coincides with my holiday, what likelihood will I have to change it?
I've applied for Gloucester and am an internal applicant if this makes much difference.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
I've applied for Gloucester and am an internal applicant if this makes much difference.
If your username reflects your current job, you're not internal. UK Rail are barely treated as internals, UK Bus are all but external. Separate companies completely in recruitment terms

PaulBusDriver

If your username reflects your current job, you're not internal. UK Rail are barely treated as internals, UK Bus are all but external. Separate companies completely in recruitment terms
I applied through First Groups internal vacancy and as far as I know, am treated as internal. I didn't need to fill in an application and used my prior CV, so as far as it goes, seems like an internal application.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
I applied through First Groups internal vacancy and as far as I know, am treated as internal. I didn't need to fill in an application and used my prior CV, so as far as it goes, seems like an internal application.
But, it isn't. They treat you like any other external. You'll have to bend to them, they don't accommodate you like they will GWR staff.

Stigy

Established Member
Maybe the same situation I found myself in, in that the application form and portal is internal, but everything else is external, as you say. The FirstGroup portals are the same no matter which company you’re from. All very confusing.

Daydr3am3r

Hi Guys, I was hoping anybody could furnish me with some information if possible. I have received the email following my MMI which said I have completed the stage 2 assesments and timescales could be extended due to workforce requirements.
Im wondering if anybody has any idea where I stand, I've got 10 days holiday booked in october and Im wondering if I have a DMI offered to me which coincides with my holiday, what likelihood will I have to change it?

Hi Paul
To be honest if going on current experiences I expect you would have an invite before October. The invite gives you a couple of dates for options but if you can’t do them you have to be placed on the list for future dates. This is obviously a gamble.

TheGoldfish

I deferred my original dates for MMI with GWR as I was on holiday ... I thought that would be that as I'd had a similar situation with Freightliner and they just killed my application there and then ... but GWR came back to me a month or 2 after and offered further dates .... I guess it will all come down to availability in the end ?

That said the gap between MMI and DMI was only a couple of weeks

Liam00086

As you work for first group (currently) the application process is like an internal, you can even apply for jobs before externals,but As TTT said you will be treated as external as far as the rest goes, they won’t make you available for interviews and assessment days, if successful you would have to wait the 6months again before you can get your benefits(cheap bus tickets) my rewards stuff.

Scott1991

Any one been offered any courses after October? My assessments and interviews happened so quickly. Now I'm waiting what seems to be an eternity for information about a course date.

Barney07

Any one been offered any courses after October? My assessments and interviews happened so quickly. Now I'm waiting what seems to be an eternity for information about a course date.
Great news on passing your interview. Can you advise of what you were asked at your DMI as got mine coming up in July.

Many Thanks

Scott1991

Great news on passing your interview. Can you advise of what you were asked at your DMI as got mine coming up in July.

Many Thanks

Hello mate. Was similar to the MMI. A few questions about the company but not many. Have a few good work examples ready.

Barney07

Hello mate. Was similar to the MMI. A few questions about the company but not many. Have a few good work examples ready.
Nice one i already work on the railway so got a few which will help. Hope all goes well for you.

PaulBusDriver

Thanks, I guess it just
I deferred my original dates for MMI with GWR as I was on holiday ... I thought that would be that as I'd had a similar situation with Freightliner and they just killed my application there and then ... but GWR came back to me a month or 2 after and offered further dates .... I guess it will all come down to availability in the end ?

That said the gap between MMI and DMI was only a couple of weeks
As you work for first group (currently) the application process is like an internal, you can even apply for jobs before externals,but As TTT said you will be treated as external as far as the rest goes, they won’t make you available for interviews and assessment days, if successful you would have to wait the 6months again before you can get your benefits(cheap bus tickets) my rewards stuff.
Thanks for your advice. Hopefully I'll be lucky then

Lankywhale

Those of you that had to wait for your stage 1 results, how long did it take to receive them? We were told around 2 weeks. So I'm thinking 3 weeks.

Just wondering how long it took you all?

Termy

Those of you that had to wait for your stage 1 results, how long did it take to receive them? We were told around 2 weeks. So I'm thinking 3 weeks.

Roughly about 24 hours. The same for Stage 2 + MMI when I sat those.

Liam00086

Took about 1week for stage 1 and 2 weeks for stage 2 for me

Goingloco

Does anyone know what it means if you're in the talent pool as 'reserve', I assume it's a negative, the worst of those in the talent pool?!?

Termy

Any news for you mate?
Still stone-dead silence from GWR after five weeks. At this point, I am essentially all but giving up. I have an interview next Friday for a Customer Services role, and a phone-interview for a Tech Support role with another company (outside of the rail industry), as well as a Driver application with Greater Anglia based out of London Liverpool Street. We shall see how these other applications go. :)

Daydr3am3r

Still stone-dead silence from GWR after five weeks. At this point, I am essentially all but giving up. I have an interview next Friday for a Customer Services role, and a phone-interview for a Tech Support role with another company (outside of the rail industry), as well as a Driver application with Greater Anglia based out of London Liverpool Street. We shall see how these other applications go. :)

Very strange, sorry to hear you have not found it either way. I bet it’s been a painful five weeks.

Termy

Very strange, sorry to hear you have not found it either way. I bet it’s been a painful five weeks.
Extremely. xD Every email during office hours has been nerve-wracking. All I've wanted is to know. Surely they would have the results of a points-based competency interview really quickly, and can just send me an email saying "Sorry, you didn't meet the mark" or "You met the mark". All I want. Even entering the talent pool for next year would be an improvement over not knowing.

Daydr3am3r

Does anyone know what it means if you're in the talent pool as 'reserve', I assume it's a negative, the worst of those in the talent pool?!?

If I’m honest I’ve not heard of this before. I’ve just gone back and read my email to see if I had reserve written anywhere but it doesn’t.
Is it specifically mentioned in your email? May be worth sending an email for clarification to GWR.

Daydr3am3r

Extremely. xD Every email during office hours has been nerve-wracking. All I've wanted is to know. Surely they would have the results of a points-based competency interview really quickly, and can just send me an email saying "Sorry, you didn't meet the mark" or "You met the mark". All I want. Even entering the talent pool for next year would be an improvement over not knowing.

Absolutely but there must be a reason for the delay, because as you say it should be straightforward to update candidates expeditiously.
Maybe they are waiting on completing the interviews before identifying the pass mark?

Status
Not open for further replies.