• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Train Driver talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alanyoung165

Hex is £26500 ish. And as far as training is going. A course is starting in Feb and possibly October next year. £55000 ish when you pass out.
Hi Ebee, how do you know there are courses starting in Feb and Oct? Would they be for the 19/20 recruitment phase??

Nonuts

Hi Ebee, how do you know there are courses starting in Feb and Oct? Would they be for the 19/20 recruitment phase??

There's definitely Feb courses as I and a mate are on the Feb 10th course in Bristol (I'm 19/20 Talent pool). I see there's another course 24th Feb. We found out about 6 months in advance what course we'd be on.

Ebee

This is my insider knowledge from being in the mess room. I don't know from which recruitment stage. They will tell you likeliness of a course date after your last interview.

Ebee

Cannot thank you enough. Really good info. And is it 9-5/8-4 whilst in class? Last one too, what is your leave schedule like, as I know they shall be doling it out, as per the example in the Train Driver Handbook ? Thanks again as it makes planning my life, somewhat easier.
Our classroom is 7.40am till about 1/2pm but we are expected to do a lot at home. Depends on who your trainers are I think. And you get given annual leave we have Xmas and Easter off.

Lee898

Our classroom is 7.40am till about 1/2pm but we are expected to do a lot at home. Depends on who your trainers are I think. And you get given annual leave we have Xmas and Easter off.
Thanks for those. I do expect much homework as I was a Shunter before, and even that was a tad intense. We might get Easter off, but anything else would be a guess as starting in Feb, there ain't no real big holidays as such.

B38r

There's definitely Feb courses as I and a mate are on the Feb 10th course in Bristol (I'm 19/20 Talent pool). I see there's another course 24th Feb. We found out about 6 months in advance what course we'd be on.

Hi another member coming out of the shadows! Thanks to all sharing knowledge of this complex process!
How do you know what training centre you are on I.e you mentioned Bristol for the 10th February? I have been told and signed contracts that I’m on a course for 10th February but I have no idea where??
Thanks guys

Liam00086

Hi another member coming out of the shadows! Thanks to all sharing knowledge of this complex process!
How do you know what training centre you are on I.e you mentioned Bristol for the 10th February? I have been told and signed contracts that I’m on a course for 10th February but I have no idea where??
Thanks guys
I was told in my interview it would be in Bristol. Which depot have you got your job with?

Old Chap

Thanks guys
Another one from the shadows! In pool since 8th July 2019 and destined for Reading. Struggling to find information on potential training dates and I am an outsider (ex military helicopter pilot and brewer), so no direct access to insider information. Does anyone have any knowledge regarding next training courses at Reading? Desperate now to be able to plan my life, but have already had the standard letter when I asked Customer Services some weeks ago. Have read this thread (and GWR TP 20/21) and have picked up what I can but it seems most go through this limbo. Would appreciate some help please if anyone is in the know.

Nonuts

Thanks guys

As Liam 'ginger ninja' said. Was told at interview it'd be Bristol

B38r

As Liam 'ginger ninja' said. Was told at interview it'd be Bristol

Thanks, guess I’ll find out eventually!? Fingers crossed.
Who else is starting on the 10th February? Where are your training venues?

Fran Davies

Hi I just had my face to face interview yesterday and got told I am in the talent pool for Reading today! Feelings ranging between joy and terror! I am searching for hints of when this might actually become a job offer, any clues gratefully accepted.

B38r

Hi I just had my face to face interview yesterday and got told I am in the talent pool for Reading today! Feelings ranging between joy and terror! I am searching for hints of when this might actually become a job offer, any clues gratefully accepted.

I got a phone call 6 days after my DMI it was a mobile number and they made a conditional offer of employment subject to the medical and references.

Liam00086

I got a call 3 days after I found out I passed my DMI , they call from a mobile number and can call any time, I’m sure I recall someone saying they got there call on a Sunday evening.

Stigy

Established Member
I got a call 3 days after I found out I passed my DMI , they call from a mobile number and can call any time, I’m sure I recall someone saying they got there call on a Sunday evening.
I got my call after office hours, from a mobile number. Nearly ignored it as I get a lot of nuisance calls, sometimes from mobile numbers these days.

Old Chap

Well done Fran. I am down for Reading too so will be very interested to see how quickly you get picked up. Are you already with GWR in another role and have you any idea when the next courses are being run there?

alanyoung165

This is my insider knowledge from being in the mess room. I don't know from which recruitment stage. They will tell you likeliness of a course date after your last interview.
Thanks Ebee. Seems like it's been ages since passing the stage 2 and waiting for a DMI date :frown:

Hi guys,
Quick question, has anyone had to re-locate (move house, or sell their existing house) to be within the one hour commute?

If I get through the process then I will need to move from Weymouth closer to Exeter which I am prepared to do, but when do GWR insist on living within the hour? Would this need to be right at the beginning of training or when you eventually pass out and are working full-time at the depot? I'm just trying to plan for what I will need to do if I get through my DMI.

Regards,
Tom

Danetime

Hi guys,
Quick question, has anyone had to re-locate (move house, or sell their existing house) to be within the one hour commute?

If I get through the process then I will need to move from Weymouth closer to Exeter which I am prepared to do, but when do GWR insist on living within the hour? Would this need to be right at the beginning of training or when you eventually pass out and are working full-time at the depot? I'm just trying to plan for what I will need to do if I get through my DMI.

Regards,
Tom

Hey Tom!

I passed my DMI for Exeter St Davids in June and I lived in Barnstaple just outside the one hour mark (I was told it was). The question was asked in my DMI and I said I would move before training started to which they seemed pleased with. However, other people started to get phone calls from my talent pool regarding starting positions next year and I've yet to hear anything. So I've taken the choice of moving to Exeter last month hoping that this will increase my chances of getting the call.

Stigy

Established Member
Hi guys,

Regards,
Tom
As long as you commit to move before your handling hours start you should be okay (because that’s the first time you’ll be working at your allocated depot full time and will have to be within the 1-hr due to fatigue etc.), but bear in mind during training you will be accommodated based on your depot, so if it’s Newton Abbott or Plymouth (I believe) you’re trained at for the 16 or so weeks, you won’t get accommodation supplied. Anywhere else you would do. Therefore you’d be expected to either supply your own accommodation so that you can attend the classroom training every day, or travel up every day. There will also be times during your front end turns (shadowing a driver.....there’s two or three weeks of this within the schedule) where you’d probably need to be at your Home Depot too.

Status
Not open for further replies.