• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Train Driver talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the things you need to consider If you don't hear anything for a good year or more is there are a lot of trainee drivers at the wrong depots, by that I mean it wouldn't have been their first home choice, but they like most of us wanted a job as a driver so applied for anything.

As soon as they are able to and qualified they will try to relocate to there ideal home depot. So some depots might not take any new trainee drivers for years as lots of drivers will want to move there as soon as a job opens up. I know plenty of trainees that will move as soon as possible to where they want to be.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Old Chap

One of the things you need to consider If you don't hear anything for a good year or more is there are a lot of trainee drivers at the wrong depots, by that I mean it wouldn't have been their first home choice, but they like most of us wanted a job as a driver so applied for anything.

As soon as they are able to and qualified they will try to relocate to there ideal home depot. So some depots might not take any new trainee drivers for years as lots of drivers will want to move there as soon as a job opens up. I know plenty of trainees that will move as soon as possible to where they want to be.
That is really interesting and actually quite obvious as life decisions for families and friends are really important if house moves are required. I have no idea what the rules are for redeployment after having qualified but my experience was that I had to choose one depot and although I spoke to GWR and said I would move anywhere, the DMI is the interview for a specific depot rather than one acceptable to all in GWR. I would still move anywhere a job was available, but that, at the moment, is not an option.

Carrie-Cole

For me, i applied In 2017 for for the 2018/2019 intake. In the pool from March 2019. :rolleyes: still swimming around now.;)
Hi Cannon, congratulations on your role and good luck with training; not long now!

After being placed into the Plymouth talent pool recently, the position on my online application has now switched to a depot driver based at Laira, which by the looks of it is similar to what you are about to start training for. Assuming I'm now sat in a pool for a depot driver (if such a pool exists) I was wondering if you had any specific information regarding this role in terms of salary/ hours/ training schedule and how any future move to a mainline driver might come about? Any info/ advice is much appreciated!

Cheers

When do you start your training for the Plymouth talent pool?

Nonuts

Just got an invitation to assessment day on 8th Feb for SWR Basingstoke! Not much time to prepare:(

All the very best for that. I (for the next 7 days) work for SWR. Far I as know you'll do all assessments on the day. DMI next then MMI. That seems to be the process from what our new drivers tell me. I honestly don't think a lot of prep is needed for the assessments, just an understanding of what you'll be doing. There are loads of very descriptive threads on here about the assessments which are a great help. If you have a particular question about them, feel free to ask me... or, in fact, anyone on here who's got through them in the past couple of years. Everyone's pretty cracking on here for advice, regardless of what stage they're at.

PearoTheHero

Sorry for the slow reply. I'm currently on a drivers course as an external. My instructor has told us he hasn't got any planned courses on his agenda. My DSM also said the same about a month ago. I'm not trying to bring any of you down, trust me when I say I understand what almost all of you are going through. I'm just going on what I've been told. Obviously if some of you have start dates then this information could be wrong but I would be interested in knowing where they're proposing to train you

Stigy

Established Member
Sorry for the slow reply. I'm currently on a drivers course as an external. My instructor has told us he hasn't got any planned courses on his agenda. My DSM also said the same about a month ago. I'm not trying to bring any of you down, trust me when I say I understand what almost all of you are going through. I'm just going on what I've been told. Obviously if some of you have start dates then this information could be wrong but I would be interested in knowing where they're proposing to train you
How do you mean you don’t know where they propose to train more trainees? I assume your trainer is talking about training he is conducting? I guess it could still be planned as there are a number of training locations, he just may not be involved directly?

Nevergiveup

Thank you for the kind words and yes I may have to do all the assessments on the day unless there wasn’t enough time to do them due to limited equipments availability or something along those lines as mentioned on the email. I’ll be going through the practice material they sent and anything else I can find on here and on the internet, thanks once again :)
All the very best for that. I (for the next 7 days) work for SWR. Far I as know you'll do all assessments on the day. DMI next then MMI. That seems to be the process from what our new drivers tell me. I honestly don't think a lot of prep is needed for the assessments, just an understanding of what you'll be doing. There are loads of very descriptive threads on here about the assessments which are a great help. If you have a particular question about them, feel free to ask me... or, in fact, anyone on here who's got through them in the past couple of years. Everyone's pretty cracking on here for advice, regardless of what stage they're at.

Nevergiveup

These are the assessments mentioned on the Email, so I’m assuming at this stage I do not have to worry about MMI & DMI, is that correct?
Or once I’ve done all the assessments would I be required to sit either DMI, MMI or both on the same day?

The assessments carried out on the day are as follows:

• Colour Vision
  • Trainability for Rules and Procedures
  • Group Bourdon Concentration
  • Test of Everyday Attention (TEA-Occ paper test)
  • Test of Vigilance (WAFV)
  • Test of Perception (ATAVT)
  • Written Communication Test (WCT)
  • The 2Hand Co-ordination Test

Nonuts

These are the assessments mentioned on the Email, so I’m assuming at this stage I do not have to worry about MMI & DMI, is that correct?
Or once I’ve done all the assessments would I be required to sit either DMI, MMI or both on the same day?

The assessments carried out on the day are as follows:

• Colour Vision
  • Trainability for Rules and Procedures
  • Group Bourdon Concentration
  • Test of Everyday Attention (TEA-Occ paper test)
  • Test of Vigilance (WAFV)
  • Test of Perception (ATAVT)
  • Written Communication Test (WCT)
  • The 2Hand Co-ordination Test
With SWR you'll sit a DMI a different day and if successful there the MMI a different day again.

With SWR you'll sit a DMI a different day and if successful there the MMI a different day again

PearoTheHero

How do you mean you don’t know where they propose to train more trainees? I assume your trainer is talking about training he is conducting? I guess it could still be planned as there are a number of training locations, he just may not be involved directly?

This could of course be the case. It wouldn't make sense that they're still interviewing for pools but then they're valid for 5 years so who knows.

dan2610

So I had my DMI on Friday and thought it went ok and was relatively happy with how it with.

Email back this morning to say I’m in the talent pool so I’m very pleased :D

Liam00086

So I had my DMI on Friday and thought it went ok and was relatively happy with how it with.

Congratulations, what depot? Hopefully not a long wait :)

Nevergiveup

Congratulations, I’ve got my assessment day next week and email says I may have to do all the assessments on the same day, would I also be required to do SJE & MMI on same day if I successfully complete the assessments? This is with SWR.

Nonuts

Congratulations, I’ve got my assessment day next week and email says I may have to do all the assessments on the same day, would I also be required to do SJE & MMI on same day if I successfully complete the assessments? This is with SWR.

As I mentioned above. Mmi is the last stage of SWR's process and will be a different day. Dmi will be before. In that SWR mmi last anything up to 4 hours and GWR's is only an hour I'd guess the sjt is done on MMI day

dan2610

I’m not sure about SWR. I had my SJE along with my computer based tests, then the MMI all on one day. The DMI was the final stage and that was done over about 90 minutes on its own.

Nevergiveup

Oh I see, so you done the paper tests on a different day? Also the ATAVT test, do you have any advice/tip on doing well in that? I’m really struggling with it as I’ve heard the pictures disappear after 1 second or is it after few seconds?
I’m not sure about SWR. I had my SJE along with my computer based tests, then the MMI all on one day. The DMI was the final stage and that was done over about 90 minutes on its own.

Nevergiveup

oh yes you mentioned before that DMI & MMI will be separate days from the assessments!
What would be your advice for ATAVT test? If there are a lot of object in the image would be be good to assume all 5 objects are there?
?
As I mentioned above. Mmi is the last stage of SWR's process and will be a different day. Dmi will be before. In that SWR mmi last anything up to 4 hours and GWR's is only an hour I'd guess the sjt is done on MMI day

Nonuts

oh yes you mentioned before that DMI & MMI will be separate days from the assessments!
What would be your advice for ATAVT test? If there are a lot of object in the image would be be good to assume all 5 objects are there?
?
It's different from the training material. I think its. Pedestrian, cyclist, traffic light, road sign , vehicle. Just click what you saw. Assuming all are there could mean you click something that wasn't. As with a lot of railway tests I don't think being 100% accurate is the goal, just to see that you take in as much information in a split second as required

Nevergiveup

I had found a similar practice test online with motor vehicles pedestrians traffic light etc but on there if you miss out anything then you get incorrect answer so I was thinking I’d have to be 100% accurate, I’m ok with finding 1-3 objects but it’s when there’s all 5 objects in the picture it’s very difficult to spot all 5 in a second or less
It's different from the training material. I think its. Pedestrian, cyclist, traffic light, road sign , vehicle. Just click what you saw. Assuming all are there could mean you click something that wasn't. As with a lot of railway tests I don't think being 100% accurate is the goal, just to see that you take in as much information in a split second as required

dan2610

Oh I see, so you done the paper tests on a different day? Also the ATAVT test, do you have any advice/tip on doing well in that? I’m really struggling with it as I’ve heard the pictures disappear after 1 second or is it after few seconds?

Yeah the paper tests were over half a day on their own in September then I did everything else apart from the DMI in November.

The pictures flash up for about a second I’d say. It’s very, very quick and it’s not designed for you to be able to study the entire picture. My only advice would be to make sure you’re aware of what you’re looking for, and only select the items that you’re certain you saw. I had a couple of instances where I knew I’d seen 2 items but thought I might’ve seen another, so I just put 2. I don’t know how they mark it, but I decided to go with trying to get them right even if I missed some, rather than trying to get more right but also more wrong.

Nevergiveup

Ah I see, they’ve asked me to do paper and computer tests on the same day unless there isn’t enough time then they will arrange another day.
Regarding the picture, yes I am aware of what I’m looking for and 2-3 objects shouldn’t be a problem for me it’s when there’s 4-5 objects in one picture lol but I’ll take your advice and just select what I see on it even if it a picture with a lot of vehicles and big junctions
Yeah the paper tests were over half a day on their own in September then I did everything else apart from the DMI in November.

The pictures flash up for about a second I’d say. It’s very, very quick and it’s not designed for you to be able to study the entire picture. My only advice would be to make sure you’re aware of what you’re looking for, and only select the items that you’re certain you saw. I had a couple of instances where I knew I’d seen 2 items but thought I might’ve seen another, so I just put 2. I don’t know how they mark it, but I decided to go with trying to get them right even if I missed some, rather than trying to get more right but also more wrong.

dan2610

Ah I see, they’ve asked me to do paper and computer tests on the same day unless there isn’t enough time then they will arrange another day.
Regarding the picture, yes I am aware of what I’m looking for and 2-3 objects shouldn’t be a problem for me it’s when there’s 4-5 objects in one picture lol but I’ll take your advice and just select what I see on it even if it a picture with a lot of vehicles and big junctions

I spoke to people on the day after we sat the test and some said they guessed on some pictures, e.g. if there’s a busy junction with traffic then they also assumed traffic lights or signs too, so selected that even if they didn’t see it.

I wouldn’t personally do that but everyone on my day passed that test so I don’t think you should worry yourself too much over it.

Nevergiveup

Yes that’s was I was thinking as I did some practice test and was getting better score when I select all the options if the picture is of a busy junction and lots of traffic.

Thank for the information I’ll just try my best on all the assessments and take it from there :)
I spoke to people on the day after we sat the test and some said they guessed on some pictures, e.g. if there’s a busy junction with traffic then they also assumed traffic lights or signs too, so selected that even if they didn’t see it.

I wouldn’t personally do that but everyone on my day passed that test so I don’t think you should worry yourself too much over it.

Lee70

Had my DMI January 8th For Exeter depot. Have been accepted into the talent pool and am now, what feels like, just sat in limbo just waiting for the call!! Gonna just put it to the back of my mind now, and plod on in the job I’m tired of ‍♂️
My hope would be to have started driver training by end of this year....

Status
Not open for further replies.