• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Train Driver talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott1991

Thank you
What i'm getting at is that this isn't the usual "let's build up a pool of 40 people for the 5 jobs we might have in 3 years", but rather a determined attempt to fill *hundreds* of vacancies.

Thank you! I'll stay positive!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tommy222256

What i'm getting at is that this isn't the usual "let's build up a pool of 40 people for the 5 jobs we might have in 3 years", but rather a determined attempt to fill *hundreds* of vacancies.
Hi mate, I know it’s hard to tell but from what you say do you think that everyone in the pool will get a courses at some point?!

EBlackadder

I'd (very, very guardedly) say that anyone entering a pool now or in the near future *should* expect a place. I know that there are courses lined up into next summer - i got a glimpse of a training spreadsheet - and presumably beyond.

There are still a large number of internals who haven't sat their Stage 1s yet, so although they get precedence, if they haven't finished everything they can't get an offer.

I suppose the risk is that as more and more people pass through and enter the pool, the Company can start getting a bit picky, and instead of simply filling places first come, first served, it actually starts to use the interview scores.

Good luck!

tiptoptaff

Established Member
I suppose the risk is that as more and more people pass through and enter the pool, the Company can start getting a bit picky, and instead of simply filling places first come, first served, it actually starts to use the interview scores.

Good luck!
I have absolutely no doubt this will happen, as the rate they're getting through tests and interviews overtakes the rate they can put people on to courses. But I shouldn't imagine that will happen for a while yet....

tiptoptaff

Established Member
@PB35 not sure why you're so determined to prove me wrong, but the GWR stance is that the stage 1/2 passes need to be valid when you commence training. If they expire while you're in the pool, you're bang out of luck. Getting in to the pool is not a job offer and they have (nor does any TOC) no obligation to offer you a job.

@EBlackadder would have corrected me by now if I was wrong (and taken pleasure in doing so)

387star

On Moderation
As @Daydr3am3r has said, you’ll more than likely not be given any information. This will be because they genuinely haven’t got a timescale I’d imagine. You may be able to get an incline by searching the forum as to which depots are in need of most trainees etc to gauge roughly where you are.

To be honest though I think it’s anyone’a guess at the moment. I’m starting in July for Fratton and Fratton is a small depot with one vacancy (with a second coming up) I was told at interview, so I assumed I’d be waiting forever for ‘the call’. A month after being placed in the pool though, I was contacted. A mate of mine is in the pool for Reading (which I assume is a large depot?) and was placed in said pool roughly the same time as I was mine. He’s not heard anything yet. We are both external to GWR, but internal as far as FirstGroup go (so external as far as the recruitment process goes).

I keep telling myself I was obviously quite a high scorer at interview, but I’m not one to #WillyWave :lol:

Maybe I was the only applicant? :) :(
AFAIK you're the first external trainee there in well over a decade

Fgw/gwr took not a single trainee on there between 2007 and 2015

Last edited:

Termy

That's my DMI done. I have no idea how that went, it felt like it didn't take enough time more than anything. The GWR people were fantastic and helped me relax. Even let me go back to a question when I completely forgot a word.
Now comes the waiting game again and... I am petrified.

Scott1991

That's my DMI done. I have no idea how that went, it felt like it didn't take enough time more than anything. The GWR people were fantastic and helped me relax. Even let me go back to a question when I completely forgot a word.

Hi Termy I recieved a email telling me I'd passed the DMI the day after. So your wait for a result won't be long. Good luck

PB35

@PB35 not sure why you're so determined to prove me wrong, but the GWR stance is that the stage 1/2 passes need to be valid when you commence training. If they expire while you're in the pool, you're bang out of luck. Getting in to the pool is not a job offer and they have (nor does any TOC) no obligation to offer you a job.

@EBlackadder would have corrected me by now if I was wrong (and taken pleasure in doing so)
Not trying to prove you wrong but I like rules, facts and figures.....makes things easier when you query why you lost your opportunity. In an ideal world the management interview would perhaps state this to head off any issues you think? Please don’t take offence it is simply a case of pointing to information to quote an actual source not just ‘part of a document’. This will become more apparent when you sit your rules as some of the answers you will be required to provide will be that pedantic that not saying it the right way could cause you to drop a mark.
I am sure you will make an excellent driver and whatever is ‘lucky’ to have you.

Stigy

Established Member
AFAIK you're the first external trainee there in well over a decade

Fgw/gwr took not a single trainee on there between 2007 and 2015
*massively waves willy* :lol::lol: (one day that phrase is going to look weird when it’s said in the wrong thread) ;)

I know it’s a relatively small depot so I feel lucky to be in this position definitely!

Stigy

Established Member
sometimes the best interviews are the ones where you can’t tell how it went! Crossing fingers for you!

tiptoptaff

Established Member
*massively waves willy* :lol::lol: (one day that phrase is going to look weird when it’s said in the wrong thread) ;)

I know it’s a relatively small depot so I feel lucky to be in this position definitely!
It's already weird. But we seem to be rolling with it anyway :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stigy

Established Member
I Might be one of the only ones in this thread who can't "wave willy". You men crack me up
Pun intended? :lol:

I don’t identify personally, anyone can wave a willy. Always airing on the diverse side of course :D

Ebee

Pun intended? :lol:

I don’t identify personally, anyone can wave a willy. Always airing on the diverse side of course :D
I've been told there is a kit I can get :p. Then i'll be one of the boys. Haha although this thread has taken an amusing turn. Are there any other women on here? 8-)<:D

Jeronimo

Keep hoping each day will see me get an email but it has only been 5 weeks. Patience is a virtue they say

Ollie213

Evening all,

First post here but have been reading for a while - I've made an error which I'll outline below but wonder if anyone can cast any light on my issue please?

I've passed first and second stage assessments and got the email to book my DMI slot on Friday; unfortunately I didn't see this email and only realised I had it today, when I received a reminder to book. When I went on the portal, all slots had gone and the only option was to hit the "Unsuitable dates/times button".

I have separately sent an email to the recruitment email address for First Group but wondered if anyone else had made this error previously and could offer any insight into whether they rearrange or can find a work around at all, as I'm a bit worried I've blown it...?

Thanks all.

Tommy222256

Evening all,

First post here but have been reading for a while - I've made an error which I'll outline below but wonder if anyone can cast any light on my issue please?

I've passed first and second stage assessments and got the email to book my DMI slot on Friday; unfortunately I didn't see this email and only realised I had it today, when I received a reminder to book. When I went on the portal, all slots had gone and the only option was to hit the "Unsuitable dates/times button".

I have separately sent an email to the recruitment email address for First Group but wondered if anyone else had made this error previously and could offer any insight into whether they rearrange or can find a work around at all, as I'm a bit worried I've blown it...?

Thanks all.

To be honest mate I wouldn’t rely on them getting the email, I would phone and leave a message or try and get through to someone. I’ve not heard anyone missing it before but I’m sure they must be able to rearrange!

Fingers crossed!

Status
Not open for further replies.