• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Train Driver talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xapoz

I applied November 2018
First lot of tests 14th Feb 2019
Second lots of tests and MMI 14th March 2019
DMI beginning of May 2019

starting based at Bristol Parkway 22nd Feb 2021

Lee70

Passed my DMI January last year. Was hoping to get the call Autumn 20.......... Cant beat a pandemic!! :rolleyes::(

dan2610

Anyone else waiting for Par DMI had an email?
I'm not in for the Par talent pool so obviously not received an email, but I did notice that the qualified driver vacancy for Par has disappeared of the First Group website.
It previously was advertised for Penzance, Par, Plymouth and Exeter St Davids, however Par is no longer included on that list for some reason.

Barney07

Its really good to see the talent pools being filled, give's us guys still working from home a more positive feeling as you cant help worry in these times about job safety, well done all passing dmi's.

dabollicks

I'm not in for the Par talent pool so obviously not received an email, but I did notice that the qualified driver vacancy for Par has disappeared of the First Group website.
It previously was advertised for Penzance, Par, Plymouth and Exeter St Davids, however Par is no longer included on that list for some reason.
Basically had an email saying that there were no recruitment plans for par for the foreseeable. So rather than pull the application completely do we want to move the application over to Plymouth or Exeter St David’s

dan2610

Basically had an email saying that there were no recruitment plans for par for the foreseeable. So rather than pull the application completely do we want to move the application over to Plymouth or Exeter St David’s
Oh that's an interesting change! Are you being the chance to change your application to a different depot and go straight to DMI for there then? Surprising that they're allowing Exeter St David's and not Penzance, Par to Exeter is quite a bit further than it is to Penzance!

jacey

That sounds like positive news for Exeter and Plymouth pools :D i will take it that way anyway:E

dabollicks

Oh that's an interesting change! Are you being the chance to change your application to a different depot and go straight to DMI for there then? Surprising that they're allowing Exeter St David's and not Penzance, Par to Exeter is quite a bit further than it is to Penzance!
Yeah, given us a week to reply with our choice, then a zoom DMI will be arranged depending on our choice. Just glad they didn’t completely pull the plug, guessing as they’ve spent a considerable amount putting us through the psychometrics made sense to just change the depot

dan2610

Yeah, given us a week to reply with our choice, then a zoom DMI will be arranged depending on our choice. Just glad they didn’t completely pull the plug, guessing as they’ve spent a considerable amount putting us through the psychometrics made sense to just change the depot
Yeah that's a positive, you just need to get yourself in to a pool as I doubt they'll pull the plug on people currently in a pool waiting as those people could be there for several years.
Good luck if you are able to alter your preference!

Petefox83

I was also a Par applicant who will hopefully be switching to Plymouth, I will be right on the borderline in terms of being within an hours distance (I currently live in Par) Google has the distance as 58 minutes. I was just wondering if anyone knows how the hours commute is calculated? I don't want to waste anyone's time by having a dmi etc if I am classed as outside the distance.

Jaytrains

Passed my DMI January last year. Was hoping to get the call Autumn 20.......... Cant beat a pandemic!! :rolleyes::(

Which depot did u apply for?

Sounds like they will have a few courses starting this year

dabollicks

I was also a Par applicant who will hopefully be switching to Plymouth, I will be right on the borderline in terms of being within an hours distance (I currently live in Par) Google has the distance as 58 minutes. I was just wondering if anyone knows how the hours commute is calculated? I don't want to waste anyone's time by having a dmi etc if I am classed as outside the distance.
You’re in exactly the same boat as me. I too live in Par and google says it’s 57 minutes to drive to Plymouth. 50 minutes by train depending what time of day you need to be there

Smith3712

You’re in exactly the same boat as me. I too live in Par and google says it’s 57 minutes to drive to Plymouth. 50 minutes by train depending what time of day you need to be there

I'm in the pool for Plymouth and currently live in Truro. This came up in my DMI and we are currently in the process of moving to St Austell/Par way and they seemed more than happy with that distance but obviously stated Truro would be a no go.

Also such a shame about Par but at least as you mentioned they aren't stopping the applications completely. Hopefully good news too for the Plymouth pool filling up!

dabollicks

I'm in the pool for Plymouth and currently live in Truro. This came up in my DMI and we are currently in the process of moving to St Austell/Par way and they seemed more than happy with that distance but obviously stated Truro would be a no go.

Also such a shame about Par but at least as you mentioned they aren't stopping the applications completely. Hopefully good news too for the Plymouth pool filling up!
Thanks for that. Makes me feel a little more at ease knowing that. Just need a DMI date now

Petefox83

Thank you for your replies, hopefully I'll be ok distance wise. I guess it's back to minute by minute checks of emails for a while! To be honest I was beginning to lose hope!

Busandrail

I wouldnt worry too much, when i applied i was outside of an hour (1hr 10m) but they didnt mind. Where i am currently its 57m and about 30m by train, But since my partners jobs about to change were hopefully moving a lot closer.

genziu8181

I have applied and passed my DMI from London. When I first started apply I was in Plymouth but moved to London. They did not mind as they knew I would be moving somewhere close anyway. However I do not have anything what can hold me back so I can move quickly anywhere near within few weeks.

irish_rail

Established Member
At Plymouth we have several drivers who live in St Austell , and one near Newquay so I'd say Par be fine. Good luck all applying for the south wests premier depot....

DWR

At Plymouth we have several drivers who live in St Austell , and one near Newquay so I'd say Par be fine. Good luck all applying for the south wests premier depot....
Wow! I used to commute the other way - from Plymouth to Indian Queens - not the nicest commute. Petefox83 & dabollikcs, I had the same thing when I originally applied to Exeter SD pool and it wasn't an issue. That was 1hr plus with the roads clear of traffic, all the lights on green and a tail-wind.

Irish_rail, just out of interest really, but can they insist on you remaining within 60mins of the depot once you're employed?...not that I'd consider that!

ESONEULB

I saw others posting dates so I took a look back at mine.

I've updated below because it was in the wrong order.. all correct now

Online Application 18th Dec 2017
Assessments 6th Feb 2018
DMI Passed 10 May 2018
MMI Passed 6 June 2018
Talent Pool June 2018
2nd DMI Passed 12th March 2020
Medical 20th March 2020
Started 1st June 2020

It's a lengthy process but well worth it.

Last edited:

Kae

I have applied and passed my DMI from London. When I first started apply I was in Plymouth but moved to London. They did not mind as they knew I would be moving somewhere close anyway. However I do not have anything what can hold me back so I can move quickly anywhere near within few weeks.
Congratulations on passing your DMI. when did you have your DMI if you dont mind me asking?

Danetime

I saw others posting dates so I took a look back at mine.

Online Application 18th Dec 2017
Assessments 6th Feb 2018
MMI Passed 27th April 2018
DMI Passed 10 May 2018
Talent Pool May 2018
2nd DMI Passed 12th March 2020
Medical 20th March 2020
Started 1st June 2020

It's a lengthy process but well worth it.
Can I ask why you did two DMI's? Did you change talent pools? If so which one did you end up in? Been in the talent pool since June 2019 and wondering if I should just touch in base with GWR.

TheAnswer89

Can I ask why you did two DMI's? Did you change talent pools? If so which one did you end up in? Been in the talent pool since June 2019 and wondering if I should just touch in base with GWR.
He must have changed talent pools, cause DMI doesnt have expiry date.

Status
Not open for further replies.