• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Train Driver talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butcher

I heard it was more Depot Driver roles than Manos? Because of the element of mainline driving and rules training? It would make the transition to Mainline more seamless I guess?
We only have Mano’s at Reading.. Though I assumed iMano/Depot driver was the same thing?
Where you based Stigy?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
Unsure on the technical name , but they earn I think 70 percent of the full salary and are only allowed to drive Tavistock Yard to Plymouth North rd and Laira depot.
I ‘think’ Manos earn similar money, but are limited to the depot only, whereas Depot Drivers drive in to and out of the depot crossing on to NWR infrastructure. I only know if Reading having Manos (prepared to be corrected on that). Depot Drivers also do a full rules course as far as I’m aware, whereas Manos don’t.

FGW_DID

Established Member
Manos are on less than Depot Drivers I think. They do the same Psychometrics as Mainline but do a specific Mano rules course (driver-lite! :D ). Hence why if the wish to go Mainline, they still have to apply for a trainee driver position like anybody off the street, but they don’t have to resit any Psychometric, it’s straight to DMI if selected.
As mentioned above it was mooted a while back (pre-Covid) that Depot Drivers would be introduced at Reading ( a sort of Mano+) that would see them bump up to approximately 60-70% of Mainline pay and they would be able to take units up to & from Reading Stn. Presumably this would include all the routes eg out of Connection A and reversing at Tilehurst etc etc.
we haven’t heard anything on the subject since it was first mentioned.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I also don't think there's been any progress towards depot drivers at Reading and most diagrams going forward still have plenty of moves to/from RTCD for Reading drivers.

Butcher

I’m hearing a bit on hear about Plymouth and Exeter taking on Depot drivers. Will they be taking mainline drivers off preping units? At Reading we don’t prep units only do a night ferry. Just wondering if they are reducing mainline night shifts?

irish_rail

Established Member
I’m hearing a bit on hear about Plymouth and Exeter taking on Depot drivers. Will they be taking mainline drivers off preping units? At Reading we don’t prep units only do a night ferry. Just wondering if they are reducing mainline night shifts?
Can only talk for Plymouth but we don't prep much anyway (literally just a pair of sprinters each night). IETs and HSTs are prepped by fitters.
In the long term it is probably inevitable there will be less mainline drivers on night shifts id say as the depot drivers become productive.

387star

On Moderation
Fratton earlier this year advertised for trainees internally. Loads now waiting to progress to assessments. A lot of the depot is now near retirement with large intakes between 2000-2005. Ten years passed without a single trainee and now there are several passing out and more waiting in the pool ! It's good they are internals as previously they were all mostly ex forces. I imagine the calibre of internal applicants is far better these days. It does prove the value of starting as a Guard particularly with the Government incentivising apprenticeship schemes

Nonuts

Fratton earlier this year advertised for trainees internally. Loads now waiting to progress to assessments. A lot of the depot is now near retirement with large intakes between 2000-2005. Ten years passed without a single trainee and now there are several passing out and more waiting in the pool ! It's good they are internals as previously they were all mostly ex forces. I imagine the calibre of internal applicants is far better these days. It does prove the value of starting as a Guard particularly with the Government incentivising apprenticeship schemes
Far as I know Fratton will take up to 10 trainees in the next couple of years. The last 6 driver trainees (me being 1) 2 gwr guards, 1 SWR RCO, 1 GWR on board host, 1 SWR guard and a bus driver. All top calibre:lol:... well possibly me excluded

Stigy

Established Member
Far as I know Fratton will take up to 10 trainees in the next couple of years. The last 6 driver trainees (me being 1) 2 gwr guards, 1 SWR RCO, 1 GWR on board host, 1 SWR guard and a bus driver. All top calibre:lol:... well possibly me excluded
Well, I’m note one to gloat, but…. :D

Did I ever say I was the first external one those 10 years? :D

I guess 10 trainees in the next couple of years stands to reason when you consider natural wastage due to retirement, and dare I say it, if they extend the voluntary severance scheme to include the Driving grade within that time.

It’s an interesting point you make about the last campaign being internal only. I did wonder whether it would also go external as previously. I also wonder why it didn’t go external? I guess there’s never going to be a shortage of applicants either way.

Last edited:

Nonuts

I guess 10 trainees in the next couple of years stands to reason when you consider natural wastage due to retirement, and dare I say it, if they extend the voluntary severance scheme to include the Driving grade within that time.

It’s an interesting point you make about the last campaign being internal only. I did wonder whether it would also go external as previously. I also wonder why it didn’t go external? I guess there’s never going to be a shortage of applicants either way.
My assumption with not advertising externally was, at the time they'd just listed the GB Rail promises which mentioned 'no forced redundancy before Dec '21' so, at a time when they're looking to cut the amount of rail staff, bringing people from outside would likely be condemned by unions and in general. If internals progress up to driver they may not be replaced or it leaves room to offer the role being vacated to others who's role is made redundant

officewalla

Seems to me that nobody actually knows much about the TP process. I was in the TP as an external candidate and started training recently. There are 8 in the class split 50/50 internal to external. I was very surprised to get a call in June to ask if I was still interested in becoming a train driver and had been in the TP since April 19. Best advice I can offer is get on with your life as the call will come when you are least expecting it. I left one career, took another job that paid considerably more than being a trainee driver does and focused on being the best I could in the role. Having now taken a 3rd job in less than 12 months, I shall do the same with this position.
Keep the faith but also live for today. Good things do come to those that wait.

crwl

Seems to me that nobody actually knows much about the TP process. I was in the TP as an external candidate and started training recently. There are 8 in the class split 50/50 internal to external. I was very surprised to get a call in June to ask if I was still interested in becoming a train driver and had been in the TP since April 19. Best advice I can offer is get on with your life as the call will come when you are least expecting it. I left one career, took another job that paid considerably more than being a trainee driver does and focused on being the best I could in the role. Having now taken a 3rd job in less than 12 months, I shall do the same with this position.
Keep the faith but also live for today. Good things do come to those that wait.
That's positive news for those still waiting, well done on getting in! Which depot are you based at if you don't mind me asking? I'm beginning to think that the whole internal/external decision might be depot-dependent due to contrasting experiences all over the place.

I'm in a talent pool, but about 10 months behind you in terms of waiting time, so here's hoping.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
That's positive news for those still waiting, well done on getting in! Which depot are you based at if you don't mind me asking? I'm beginning to think that the whole internal/external decision might be depot-dependent due to contrasting experiences all over the place.

I'm in a talent pool, but about 10 months behind you in terms of waiting time, so here's hoping.

Each location will have different needs and different managers will have different requirements and going through different workforce planning. For instance there have been quite a lot of new trainees now out driving with DIs from Reading but not so many or none at other depots.

Baqanz

I put in an application to try and join the talent pool for Gloucester for qualified drivers months ago, the application still shows as in progress but not heard a peep from GWR since passing the online assessment at the time in regards to an interview or, well, anything. Wondering if its worth a quick email to GWR HR to see what they say or if it really is a matter of "hurry up and wait".

Seriously looking at buying a house at the moment so a vague idea of whats going on (or not) would be nice.

Nonuts

I put in an application to try and join the talent pool for Gloucester for qualified drivers months ago, the application still shows as in progress but not heard a peep from GWR since passing the online assessment at the time in regards to an interview or, well, anything. Wondering if its worth a quick email to GWR HR to see what they say or if it really is a matter of "hurry up and wait".

Seriously looking at buying a house at the moment so a vague idea of whats going on (or not) would be nice.
My application still shows as 'Submitted' ... I've worked for GWR since Feb last year!

387star

On Moderation

I guess with enough suitable internal applicants there is no need to go external
Most of the internals in the pool are relatively new and missed out on the last campaign

Anyone in a pool should apply if they can for other depots and TOCS. I made the mistake of waiting in a pool internally and not going for a talent pool position at my own depot. Had something akin to a breakdown as a result watching colleagues jump ahead of me with no guarantee of my dream job ever coming up

Stigy

Established Member
I guess with enough suitable internal applicants there is no need to go external
Most of the internals in the pool are relatively new and missed out on the last campaign

Anyone in a pool should apply if they can for other depots and TOCS. I made the mistake of waiting in a pool internally and not going for a talent pool position at my own depot. Had something akin to a breakdown as a result watching colleagues jump ahead of me with no guarantee of my dream job ever coming up
100% never reply on a pool, and I’d urge anyone to apply to other TOCs even if they’re in a pool already.

Nonuts

For those of you waiting for interviews and in pools. Freightliner are advertising for trainees in various locations.

G30RG3

For those of you waiting for interviews and in pools. Freightliner are advertising for trainees in various locations.
Thanks Nonuts, unfortunately no proximity locations to Devon & Cornwall areas. From recollection I think freightliner also require enhanced standard. Best of luck to anyone applying

Stigy

Established Member
Thanks Nonuts, unfortunately no proximity locations to Devon & Cornwall areas. From recollection I think freightliner also require enhanced standard. Best of luck to anyone applying
They do indeed require enhanced standards too, which can be a risk if you’ve already passed tests to the national standard.

Jaytrains

They do indeed require enhanced standards too, which can be a risk if you’ve already passed tests to the national standard.

Would it mean that you have to re do everything if fail one of the enhanced tests?

TheGoldfish

Would it mean that you have to re do everything if fail one of the enhanced tests?
I’m sure it’s been touched on many times in this and other threads … for me the opc explained to us before taking the tests for enhanced scores, that those already holding standard passes, that the score achieved that day would over-write the existing ones. so if you scored below even the standard mark on this occasion the previous pass mark would then be voided.

jacey

I have applied for Freightliner and will probably need to retake tests as over 2 years since i did standard ones, although did do enhanced tests 12 months ago.
I believe it's better to go out and grab every opportunity rather than sit and wait for something that might never come.
i want to give myself as much chance of becoming a Train driver and believe in myself.

if the talent pool was a guarantee i would happily sit tight however this doesn't seem to be the case. (GWR) is still my dream though hopefully they call me soon :E

or i fail online stuff and just go back to the long wait of a talent pool lol

G30RG3

Some good points raised above and its not to put anyone off alternative application (personally think its a good idea) however the scores are held with the RSSB (rail safety standards board) and I'm pretty sure any new scoring overwrites your previous score. Im of the opinion that the additional pressure can sometimes be a good thing, in order to help achieve what you set out to. Stay hopeful guys & girls...

Nonuts

Personally, I don't think there is much between the higher enhanced standard and standard. From friends experiences they took an extra test that I didn't that, by description, sounds pretty straight forward and, without bravado, I wouldn't be worried. Would I risk a pass and pool place, probably not, but I was a guard and had my foot on the railway ladder...ish. would I risk it if that wasn't the case, abso-****in-lutely!

I mentioned the Freightliner thing as an option to add to people's chances only. My advice, do what your gut tells you, possibly don't ruin your chances of coming out of our (GWR) pools but also don't keep us as your only chance if you feel you could pass the enhanced and find your dream.

Stigy

Established Member
Personally, I don't think there is much between the higher enhanced standard and standard. From friends experiences they took an extra test that I didn't that, by description, sounds pretty straight forward and, without bravado, I wouldn't be worried. Would I risk a pass and pool place, probably not, but I was a guard and had my foot on the railway ladder...ish. would I risk it if that wasn't the case, abso-****in-lutely!

I mentioned the Freightliner thing as an option to add to people's chances only. My advice, do what your gut tells you, possibly don't ruin your chances of coming out of our (GWR) pools but also don't keep us as your only chance if you feel you could pass the enhanced and find your dream.
I passed to enhanced standard with Freightliner and had to take the Group Bourdon and DFFT (Driver Fault Finding Test) with them. I had passed the GB test with SWT previously but not to a high enough level for Freightliner presumably. The DFFT was straight forward to an extent, but can take some getting used to. I was surprised I passed as I only completed 8.5 of the questions (though confident they were all correct).

Also, TOCs/FOCs who use the enhanced testing also have you sit the VSE etc at home.

I’d certainly not recommend anyone removing themselves from a pool, but sometimes a few risks are required to get your foot in the door.

G30RG3

I passed to enhanced standard with Freightliner and had to take the Group Bourdon and DFFT (Driver Fault Finding Test) with them. I had passed the GB test with SWT previously but not to a high enough level for Freightliner presumably. The DFFT was straight forward to an extent, but can take some getting used to. I was surprised I passed as I only completed 8.5 of the questions (though confident they were all correct).

Also, TOCs/FOCs who use the enhanced testing also have you sit the VSE etc at home.

I’d certainly not recommend anyone removing themselves from a pool, but sometimes a few risks are required to get your foot in the door.
Stigy is the DFFT different with Frieghtliner? I'm sure there was a DFFT with GWR when I sat my tests, in the form of the "dials & guages" paper.
Interesting to hear as I had always assumed the enhanced standard was much more difficult than the standard testing...

Stigy

Established Member
Stigy is the DFFT different with Frieghtliner? I'm sure there was a DFFT with GWR when I sat my tests, in the form of the "dials & guages" paper.
Interesting to hear as I had always assumed the enhanced standard was much more difficult than the standard testing...
Dials and gauges is a different test that all TOCs/FOCs do (there may be an enhanced pass mark for the companies who use this level though). GWR don’t do the DFFT as their assessments are to the national standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.