• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Train Driver talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
What is the uniform fit like.? Have people gone for a size smaller or bigger.?
The polo tops come up quite big, and the trousers quite small. I’ve found that boots/shoes tend to also be on the larger side, but from experience, most are anyway. I’m generally a size 9 for, but always go for an 8 in work boots now.

The big coats are frankly huge, so bear that in mind too. However I guess that depends how you like them to fit?

You should get to try a lot of it on when you have your medical.

Eggs&Bacon

The polo tops come up quite big, and the trousers quite small. I’ve found that boots/shoes tend to also be on the larger side, but from experience, most are anyway. I’m generally a size 9 for, but always go for an 8 in work boots now.

The big coats are frankly huge, so bear that in mind too.

Ha, sounds like the company I work for now. Cheers

TheGoldfish

The big coats are frankly huge, so bear that in mind too. However I guess that depends how you like them to fit?

Unfortunately due to covid restrictions I wasn’t allowed to try anything on at the medical .... they kind of held stuff up and we had a best guess at it .... they said if it doesn’t fit I can change stuff fairly easily apparently

Daydr3am3r

And the trousers have done this really weird thing in that they have seemed to have shrunk since March without me even washing them........

Stigy

Established Member
And the trousers have done this really weird thing in that they have seemed to have shrunk since March without me even washing them........
Yeah, mine too....they’re at least two sizes too small now. ;)

Liam00086

Mine had just started to fit nicely again through rules, but I fear they are also going to shrink as I’m now home for what I can guess is at least 8weeks lol

Liam00086

Have you been back then mate?
We went back at the end of June, and done the 6 weeks rules, we had already done week one but because of the 14 week gap we started from the beginning.
What are you waiting to go back and do?

Daydr3am3r

We went back at the end of June, and done the 6 weeks rules, we had already done week one but because of the 14 week gap we started from the beginning.
What are you waiting to go back and do?

Intro to Handling. Completed the first week of it but then sent home in March, so will have to start this week again, whenever that may be!!

Liam00086

Intro to Handling. Completed the first week of it but then sent home in March, so will have to start this week again, whenever that may be!!
Ahh same as we did for rules, there are a few groups in front of mine so it may be a while before I’m back, the good thing with repeating the first week is it makes it easier to get back into it. Fingers crossed it’s not a long wait

Stigy

Established Member
Intro to handling is only a week anyway? It’s actually a good place to be I guess, even if it will be drawn out in returning to work.

Daydr3am3r

Intro to handling is only a week anyway? It’s actually a good place to be I guess, even if it will be drawn out in returning to work.

It was scheduled for 8 days and only managed to get to day 5 which was the Friday.

Lufcman

Any idea why they are recruiting for trainees and qualifieds? Are there depot expansion plans?

StillWaiting

Can anyone confirm, if/when you're pulled out of the talent pool/asked to attend a medical in readiness is it a phone call or an email?

Daydr3am3r

Can anyone confirm, if/when you're pulled out of the talent pool/asked to attend a medical in readiness is it a phone call or an email?

For me it was an initial phone call to offer the position, followed up by emails of conformation and a medical date.

Nonuts

My call came around 6-7 in the evening from a mobile number, an email confirming within a few days and then a firm offer and contracts ect about a month after the medical

StillWaiting

Ah right cheers guys. Been told I'll be emailed when GWR need to contact me so guessing that's not a good sign :(

Class2ldn

Anyone else applied for the qualified vacancies?
I applied around May and all I got was that I had passed the online tests and that they would be in touch with the highest scoring candidates.
I haven't heard anything since and there's no changes to my application online, going to get in touch monday but just wondered if anyone else was in the same boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.