• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Train Driver talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else applied for the qualified vacancies?
I applied around May and all I got was that I had passed the online tests and that they would be in touch with the highest scoring candidates.
I haven't heard anything since and there's no changes to my application online, going to get in touch monday but just wondered if anyone else was in the same boat?
Which depot did you apply for?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DWR

I've been given a date for DMI interview, is anyone currently in training able to give me a broad overview of the training phase please? So I can show that I have researched it.

Also any information on Plymouth working patterns/rosters would be handy and salary during training phase.

Thanks in advance.

Daydr3am3r

I've been given a date for DMI interview, is anyone currently in training able to give me a broad overview of the training phase please? So I can show that I have researched it.

Also any information on Plymouth working patterns/rosters would be handy and salary during training phase.

Thanks in advance.

I’ll DM you about the training.

In relation to working patterns @irish_rail should be able to help.

jacey

Thanks in advance.
this is a Positive sign for the guys waiting on GWR to start up the recruitment process again etc.

Jaytrains

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like great news

genziu8181

Evening all,

First post here but have been reading for a while - I've made an error which I'll outline below but wonder if anyone can cast any light on my issue please?

I've passed first and second stage assessments and got the email to book my DMI slot on Friday; unfortunately I didn't see this email and only realised I had it today, when I received a reminder to book. When I went on the portal, all slots had gone and the only option was to hit the "Unsuitable dates/times button".

I have separately sent an email to the recruitment email address for First Group but wondered if anyone else had made this error previously and could offer any insight into whether they rearrange or can find a work around at all, as I'm a bit worried I've blown it...?

Thanks all.
Hi.

I have done the same. On my gmail I haven't receive any notification and omly when I open it the emails have arrived. Not sure what to do also

Evening all,

First post here but have been reading for a while - I've made an error which I'll outline below but wonder if anyone can cast any light on my issue please?

I've passed first and second stage assessments and got the email to book my DMI slot on Friday; unfortunately I didn't see this email and only realised I had it today, when I received a reminder to book. When I went on the portal, all slots had gone and the only option was to hit the "Unsuitable dates/times button".

I have separately sent an email to the recruitment email address for First Group but wondered if anyone else had made this error previously and could offer any insight into whether they rearrange or can find a work around at all, as I'm a bit worried I've blown it...?

Thanks all.
I notice that it was 2019 and I am have done it now. Did they contact you again? Hoping it's not all lost

Hi all

I've passed first and second stage assessments(lat in January 2020 )and got the email to book my zoom interview slot on Tuesday; unfortunately I didn't see this email(no gmail notification) and only realised I had it on Thursday when I open gmail apl amd I received a reminder to book all all emails missing. When I went on the portal, all slots had gone and the only option was to hit the "Unsuitable dates/times. I click it and wrote.a.reason I haven't book a slot.
I wonder whether they rearrange or can find a work around at all, as I'm a bit worried I've blown it...?

Last edited:

Nonuts

Hi.

I have done the same. On my gmail I haven't receive any notification and omly when I open it the emails have arrived. Not sure what to do also

I notice that it was 2019 and I am have done it now. Did they contact you again? Hoping it's not all lost

Hi all

I've passed first and second stage assessments(lat in January 2020 )and got the email to book my zoom interview slot on Tuesday; unfortunately I didn't see this email(no gmail notification) and only realised I had it on Thursday when I open gmail apl amd I received a reminder to book all all emails missing. When I went on the portal, all slots had gone and the only option was to hit the "Unsuitable dates/times. I click it and wrote.a.reason I haven't book a slot.
I wonder whether they rearrange or can find a work around at all, as I'm a bit worried I've blown it...?

I wouldn't think you've blown it as they have already invested some money testing you. Perhaps you'll be in the next block of interviews.

I'm sure you're already feeling this one but... when I was in the process I checked my emails a few times a day (where I have my notifications switched off otherwise my phone would never stop going off!) to the point I was sick of not having received an email... until they came. So thats my advice on that one

genziu8181

I wouldn't think you've blown it as they have already invested some money testing you. Perhaps you'll be in the next block of interviews.

I'm sure you're already feeling this one but... when I was in the process I checked my emails a few times a day (where I have my notifications switched off otherwise my phone would never stop going off!) to the point I was sick of not having received an email... until they came. So thats my advice on that one
Hi.

Thanks for your reply. I have switch on notifocatioms however there is no notifications.
I have sent them email and they replied they will invite me in the future(still no notifications about this email-find out few hrs later). Thanks fot your advice to check emails few times a day.

Lewzo

Hi all,

just joined the forum after lurking for a while ha. Im hoping someone can help me out with an idea of what the training looks like with GWR please? Have been given DMI for trainee talent pool and want to make sure I’m as prepared as possible!
Thanks

Stigy

Established Member
Hi all,

just joined the forum after lurking for a while ha. Im hoping someone can help me out with an idea of what the training looks like with GWR please? Have been given DMI for trainee talent pool and want to make sure I’m as prepared as possible!
Thanks
The training mid-COVID looks completely different to how it was even a year ago. Typically you’ll have about 17 weeks in the classroom for rules and traction, you’ll then start practical handling.

At this stage I’d concentrate on your interview and research the company etc. Have a look through the forum for interview tips etc.

Good luck with it!

Jaytrains

Hi all,

Thanks

Which depot did u apply for? And congrats

jacey

Which depot did u apply for? And congrats
yeah interesting to know, it seems GWR is starting back up the recruits that were going through the application process although i have only seen on here the Plymouth depot mentioned so far.

Jaytrains

yeah interesting to know, it seems GWR is starting back up the recruits that were going through the application process although i have only seen on here the Plymouth depot mentioned so far.

Yhhh if only the same could happen for reading -__-

dan2610

It may be possible that focussing on certain depots for DMIs might be in view of upcoming courses? It might be that there’s going to be courses again in the Spring and they need to complete talent pools before offering out start dates?

Just a complete guess but might be a possibility ‍♂️

Nonuts

It may be possible that focussing on certain depots for DMIs might be in view of upcoming courses? It might be that there’s going to be courses again in the Spring and they need to complete talent pools before offering out start dates?

Just a complete guess but might be a possibility ‍♂️

There's a backlog of trainees who'd started their training and then were sent home, all at different stages... Rules, Traction ect.. Also there's groups that were due to start who have been put back. I'm not sure they are planning new courses while they dont know when they'll be able to get those on training pause through

Xapoz

There's a backlog of trainees who'd started their training and then were sent home, all at different stages... Rules, Traction ect.. Also there's groups that were due to start who have been put back. I'm not sure they are planning new courses while they dont know when they'll be able to get those on training pause through

Yep this is correct. There's at least 5 courses been sent home at one depot alone, with others based around the network also in the same position. There are some of us still in the pool who have had offers and start dates which have been continually pushed back since the start of lockdown with no start date in sight yet either. Think we're all in this for the long run for now. But at the end of the day drivers will always be needed, it's not being able to complete training and funding that's putting a halt to this for the moment I assume.

Stigy

Established Member
Yep this is correct. There's at least 5 courses been sent home at one depot alone, with others based around the network also in the same position. There are some of us still in the pool who have had offers and start dates which have been continually pushed back since the start of lockdown with no start date in sight yet either. Think we're all in this for the long run for now. But at the end of the day drivers will always be needed, it's not being able to complete training and funding that's putting a halt to this for the moment I assume.
The main issue is not having the ability to run all the courses due to the requirement to be COVID safe. There’s been no agreement finalised for classroom based trainees to return safely, and those who have passed that stage now also have a shortage of available DIs.

Busandrail

Correct, been home since march. Were stuck at traction and at the moment they still dont have a real plan for how to get all of us through with all the new rules. Traction is now 1 trainer to 2 trainees rather tha 1 to 4. Nothing definite yet but word on the street is its looking like it wont be until after xmas.

jacey

i mean its possible other depots that haven't yet got to this point have a need for trainee's also. They can very much still be planning courses trying to complete a talent pool. If they're now sending out emails for dmi's. Just because people stuck at home or are not moving in certain depots it does not mean they are not planning ahead with other depots, they might be limited with what they can do at the moment but it shouldn't stop the business planning ahead.

What is happening at for example Reading has no outcome on the need for drivers 150 miles away at another depot. They might be limited as you and many others say with what they can do and under what safety conditions but they can still plan ahead. The governments around the world are optimistic of a vaccine next spring so its perfectly feasible for business to be planning for next spring/summer.

ps Reading was an example. i have no idea what is happening :) just pointing out the needs of different depots can be greater and change especially over the last 8 months, just because trainees are sat waiting in Reading doesn't mean they can not plan ahead in Par. Yes i understand covid slows everything down and to some degree stops it but they can still plan ahead. Otherwise when things open back up you leave yourself short.
So be optimistic newbies :E

Last edited:

Stigy

Established Member
i mean its possible other depots that haven't yet got to this point have a need for trainee's also. They can very much still be planning courses trying to complete a talent pool. If they're now sending out emails for dmi's. Just because people stuck at home or are not moving in certain depots it does not mean they are not planning ahead with other depots, they might be limited with what they can do at the moment but it shouldn't stop the business planning ahead.

What is happening at for example Reading has no outcome on the need for drivers 150 miles away at another depot. They might be limited as you and many others say with what they can do and under what safety conditions but they can still plan ahead. The governments around the world are optimistic of a vaccine next spring so its perfectly feasible for business to be planning for next spring/summer.

ps Reading was an example. i have no idea what is happening :) just pointing out the needs of different depots can be greater and change especially over the last 8 months, just because trainees are sat waiting in Reading doesn't mean they can not plan ahead in Par. Yes i understand covid slows everything down and to some degree stops it but they can still plan ahead. Otherwise when things open back up you leave yourself short.
So be optimistic newbies :E
You are correct that different depots have different needs, but just because there are invites for DMIs going out doesn’t mean there’s an immediate requirement, or even imminent plans for courses judging by the fact the a lot of pools seem to be filled indefinitely with nobody being given a course date.

jacey

I don't think anyone expects anything imminently and we can only speculate in terms of plans for new courses, but its still a positive sign when a depot is moving ahead with dmi's for a talent pool. You do not build a talent pool for no reason it comes at a cost. no guarantees you get the call of course we all know that but its still a positive sign the business/depot is planning ahead.

dan2610

You are correct that different depots have different needs, but just because there are invites for DMIs going out doesn’t mean there’s an immediate requirement, or even imminent plans for courses judging by the fact the a lot of pools seem to be filled indefinitely with nobody being given a course date.

I agree with the indefinite talent pool thing, I just thought there may be a reason why they may suddenly be doing DMIs for depots when people have been waiting 8+ months for one. If there wasn’t a plan to start them any time soon, is it necessary to do the DMIs just tighter lockdown measures begin to be introduced? A video DMI could’ve potentially been done months ago.

I’m purely speculating, but it might be a more positive sign for those who have had months & months of uncertainty.

Jaytrains

I guess things are starting to move again my mate got offered a dmi date before the end of next month

Nonuts

I guess things are starting to move again my mate got offered a dmi date before the end of next month

They are working hard to get things moving along. Nothings happening quickly due to reduced training group sizes owing to covid and the backlog of us trainees on paused courses may take sometime to clear.

For those of you who just want to know if you've made the grade to enter a talent pool it's good the DMI's are happening and all the time they're advertising for qualified drivers at depots, you know there's vacancies and future plans to take drivers on so it's a plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.