• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Train Driver talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lee70

Anyone here going into the exeter pool? I was put in the exeter pool in feb (ish).
Me too. Was placed in the Exeter pool mid January 2020. It’s killing me having to not tell my boss what to do with their job!
I’m hoping for a call around the spring fingers toes and laces crossed

Cowcow15

Me too. Was placed in the Exeter pool mid January 2020. It’s killing me having to not tell my boss what to do with their job!
I’m hoping for a call around the spring fingers toes and laces crossed
Congrats lee70. When i was interviewed they said it was likely to be spring but obviously with covid i think thats going to be pushed back further.

Im fortunate enough to be in a job i enjoy at the moment, but feel your pain as i have been in less than desirable jobs!

Are you in the 20/21 pool then? We might be on the same course......

Lee70

Congrats lee70. When i was interviewed they said it was likely to be spring but obviously with covid i think thats going to be pushed back further.

Im fortunate enough to be in a job i enjoy at the moment, but feel your pain as i have been in less than desirable jobs!

Are you in the 20/21 pool then? We might be on the same course......
Sure am!!
I work on a psychiatric hospital and believe me that’s no place to be when you’re eye is on a different path

Smith3712

Anyone heard anything from GWR?
I don't expect we'll hear anything for a bit as there are still lots of people waiting to get back in and finish their training. Still doesn't stop me from being glued to my phone!

Omar

Good afternoon everyone,

Are the questions on DMI zoom video call similar to a standard DMI? Where their any special requirements like showing ID on camera?
Is it true they will be 4 interviewers?
Any advice for online interview?

thank you

Last edited:

Danetime

Hey Omar,

I found with my DMI it was actually only two interviewers, not the four started in the email. One asking questions and the other taking notes. Also, I did mine in person (Pre COVID-19, what a time to be alive) so can't say on the ID requirement.

DWR

Good afternoon everyone,

Are the questions on DMI zoom video call similar to a standard DMI? Where their any special requirements like showing ID on camera?
Is it true they will be 4 interviewers?
Any advice for online interview?

thank you
Omar, I can confirm that Zoom DMI is same as Danetime says - 2 interviewers. You have to show government issued ID to the webcam at the start of the interview and then email a scanned copy once the interview is over. Good luck.

Stigy

Established Member
Hey Omar,

I found with my DMI it was actually only two interviewers, not the four started in the email. One asking questions and the other taking notes. Also, I did mine in person (Pre COVID-19, what a time to be alive) so can't say on the ID requirement.
There were four listed for mine too (back in the day :)), however it was only the two DSMs in the end. The other two invitees were from HR.

genziu8181

Hi. I have got mine interview for this month. Any tips or particular questions I need to prepare for? Good luck to anyone waiting for theirs and congratulations for everyone in the pool.

Lankywhale

Is there a way we find out when the talent pool has been completed and is full? I'm in the Plymouth pool, the waiting is driving me kerrrrazy :p:rolleyes:

jacey

Going on this forum alone it would appear to me its either complete or very very close to it. I still don't expect us to hear anything though until later in 2021 virus depending.

Nonuts

Is there a way we find out when the talent pool has been completed and is full? I'm in the Plymouth pool, the waiting is driving me kerrrrazy :p:rolleyes:

It can be excruciating, waiting to hear at the various stages, which I remember all too well! I'm not sure there's a way to find out when the pools are complete and, obviously they have the 2018/19, 19/20 ect.. pools. Then when trainees are required I think they go on how you scored in the process rather than it simply being your turn in the queue (could be wrong on this but scoring was alluded to in my interview). The positive is they create pools for what they predict they'll need in future. All you can do is hang in there and I'm sure we all wish you a speedy offer of a course

Old Chap

Going on this forum alone it would appear to me its either complete or very very close to it. I still don't expect us to hear anything though until later in 2021 virus depending.
Nonuts is right - just stick with it. If you read other threads it is the same across the industry and it is most frustrating, but the demand is high and the standard is high, and if you are in the pool you have a chance of getting the call. This probably doesn't help, but it is the reality. Good luck!

jacey

It can be excruciating, waiting to hear at the various stages, which I remember all too well! I'm not sure there's a way to find out when the pools are complete and, obviously they have the 2018/19, 19/20 ect.. pools. Then when trainees are required I think they go on how you scored in the process rather than it simply being your turn in the queue (could be wrong on this but scoring was alluded to in my interview). The positive is they create pools for what they predict they'll need in future. All you can do is hang in there and I'm sure we all wish you a speedy offer of a course
correct me if im wrong. But this is the first Plymouth talent pool in about 20 years i understand and its the 19/20 talent pool. So no previous pools for this specific depot. You are correct in that it is a point based scoring system in which the talent pool is recorded depending on how everyone performed at interview.

Nonuts

correct me if im wrong. But this is the first Plymouth talent pool in about 20 years i understand and its the 19/20 talent pool. So no previous pools for this specific depot. You are correct in that it is a point based scoring system in which the talent pool is recorded depending on how everyone performed at interview.
I'm not sure but I can't remember reading any posts about a previous pool, my comment was more across the board than depot specific. Some years back there were the dreaded pools that got cancelled after a few years and really upset a lot of people! I think on the Plymouth part you're spot on, generally they've recruited from within in the past. The same was said of Fratton where I'll be and they've taken at least 3 from pools or direct entry. The whole pool waiting is a mixed bag. I and a mate waited three days in the pool before a course date was offered, I've seen others ticking over for 18 months waiting!

Danetime

I'm not sure but I can't remember reading any posts about a previous pool, my comment was more across the board than depot specific. Some years back there were the dreaded pools that got cancelled after a few years and really upset a lot of people! I think on the Plymouth part you're spot on, generally they've recruited from within in the past. The same was said of Fratton where I'll be and they've taken at least 3 from pools or direct entry. The whole pool waiting is a mixed bag. I and a mate waited three days in the pool before a course date was offered, I've seen others ticking over for 18 months waiting!
Yep that's me here still at 18 months and counting still smiling though :D

387star

On Moderation
Gloucester Bristol Westbury Penzance Exeter Reading and Oxford have had Qualified adverts for over two.years now

jacey

Yep that's me here still at 18 months and counting still smiling though :D
what Pool are you in Dane. Hope the wait isn't much longer for ya. keep thinking positive!!

Pools are such a unknown. I just think of it as better to be in one than not, it gives hope.

Is anybody who has completed the entire recruitment process able to offer advice on what to expect at a medical? Currently losing some weight as I want my BMI to be bang on. Imagine there's also a hearing/eye test? Do they require medical records etc? Any assistance would be much appreciated

(Merry Christmas)!

Nonuts

Is anybody who has completed the entire recruitment process able to offer advice on what to expect at a medical? Currently losing some weight as I want my BMI to be bang on. Imagine there's also a hearing/eye test? Do they require medical records etc? Any assistance would be much appreciated

(Merry Christmas)!
Hearing and sight tests, ecg, blood pressure, pee drug and alcohol test. Nothing major. Unless your bmi classes you as morbidly obese I wouldnt worry too much and even then no real worry

Hearing and sight tests, ecg, blood pressure, pee drug and alcohol test. Nothing major. Unless your bmi classes you as morbidly obese I wouldnt worry too much and even then no real worry
Had to say who doctor is, address ect but wasn't asked for medical records

Stigy

Established Member

I was told to lose weight and he’d invite me back in six months as my BMI was 32.7 or something. I lost nearly a stone anyway but I knew he’d not invite me back. I wanted to lose weight anyway.

Fat (pardon the pun :)) lot of good that did me, I’ve put it all back on and some now. BMI is a rubbish measure anyway, unless your weight is mostly fat. With me it was accurate.

Thanks Nonuts, that's put my mind at ease. My BMI is 27.3 at the moment but I've managed to avoid Christmas sweets and treats so far! Do they ask about medical conditions such as asthma?

I was told to lose weight and he’d invite me back in six months as my BMI was 32.7 or something. I lost nearly a stone anyway but I knew he’d not invite me back. I wanted to lose weight anyway.

Fat (pardon the pun :)) lot of good that did me, I’ve put it all back on and some now. BMI is a rubbish measure anyway, unless your weight is mostly fat. With me it was accurate.
Ah, so you still got the job then despite not being at a BMI of 25? That's cool, I still want to lose a bit anyway. But totally agree about the measure, doesn't take into account muscle - do they make you take your shirt and trousers off? :(

Last edited:

Stigy

Established Member
Thanks Nonuts, that's put my mind at ease. My BMI is 27.3 at the moment but I've managed to avoid Christmas sweets and treats so far! Do they ask about medical conditions such as asthma?

Ah, so you still got the job then despite not being at a BMI of 25? That's cool, I still want to lose a bit anyway. But totally agree about the measure, doesn't take into account muscle - do they make you take your shirt and trousers off? :(
If your BMI is 27.3 you’re pretty much bang on anyway. They’d only deem you. It fit if you couldn’t move freely etc due to your wait. You’d have no issues at all.

They will ask about any medical conditions or medication you take etc, but again, there’s really not much that would deem you unfit to drive trains in the grand scheme of things.

If your BMI is 27.3 you’re pretty much bang on anyway. They’d only deem you. It fit if you couldn’t move freely etc due to your wait. You’d have no issues at all.

They will ask about any medical conditions or medication you take etc, but again, there’s really not much that would deem you unfit to drive trains in the grand scheme of things.
That's good news about the weight :) I have (incredibly mild) asthma but I literally only take my inhaler for about 2 weeks of the year in summer when it gets stupidly hot and there's no air. Was concerned it might set alarm bells ringing when I told them but not worried now, thanks! Any tips for the training? Is it just as rigorous as the recruitment tests? What's the pass rate like?

Status
Not open for further replies.