• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Train Driver talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nonuts

Can I ask why you did two DMI's? Did you change talent pools? If so which one did you end up in? Been in the talent pool since June 2019 and wondering if I should just touch in base with GWR.
It's never a bad thing to touch base but I fear you'll get a generic 'We're still in the process of arranging...' or 'due to the pandemic....'

As a kind of reference point to how things are in regard to training, those of us who started last Feb have finished rules and been training paused and it looks like June time until they can get us back for traction. Reduced training groups from 12 to 4 a class for rules and 2 for traction has put a slow dent in everything.

TheAnswer89

It's never a bad thing to touch base but I fear you'll get a generic 'We're still in the process of arranging...' or 'due to the pandemic....'

As a kind of reference point to how things are in regard to training, those of us who started last Feb have finished rules and been training paused and it looks like June time until they can get us back for traction. Reduced training groups from 12 to 4 a class for rules and 2 for traction has put a slow dent in everything.
The thing is that demand on drivers hasn’t changed much due to pandemic and therefore when everything restarts it should be a lot classes at the same time.

dan2610

The thing is that demand on drivers hasn’t changed much due to pandemic and therefore when everything restarts it should be a lot classes at the same time.
If they have the trainers! We all obviously hope for that call to come as soon as possible, but I've kind of accepted that my waiting time is likely to be pushed back considerably because of Covid. We won't ever know when we actually would've started if Covid never happened though.

ESONEULB

Can I ask why you did two DMI's? Did you change talent pools? If so which one did you end up in? Been in the talent pool since June 2019 and wondering if I should just touch in base with GWR.

He must have changed talent pools, cause DMI doesnt have expiry date.

It was because the time in the talent pool was so long they wanted to reinterview everyone.

I also got my dates and order wrong so updated it below

Online Application 18th Dec 2017
Assessments 6th Feb 2018
DMI Passed 10 May 2018
MMI Passed 6 June 2018
Talent Pool June 2018
2nd DMI Passed 12th March 2020
Medical 20th March 2020
Started 1st June 2020

It's a lengthy process but well worth it.

Last edited:

TheAnswer89

It was because the time in the talent pool was so long they wanted to reinterview everyone.

I also got my dates and order wrong so updated it below

Online Application 18th Dec 2017
Assessments 6th Feb 2018
DMI Passed 10 May 2018
MMI Passed 6 June 2018
Talent Pool June 2018
2nd DMI Passed 12th March 2020
Medical 20th March 2020
Started 1st June 2020

It's a lengthy process but well worth it.
It must have been small depot right? Down south?

Nonuts

No, the demand is still there. We're often reassured that despite the frequency of trains being less currently, GWR are looking to the future.

No, the demand is still there. We're often reassured that despite the frequency of trains being less currently, GWR are looking to the future.
The required training for qualified drivers and fitting us learners in though has created a backlog so, when they get going on new driver training I'm sure it'll be great guns but it may be a little while.

jacey

I noticed GWR have stopped advertising for some of the qualified Talent pools for example Penzance, Plymouth & Exeter. They have also posted adverts for some specific depots like Exeter and Bristol for Qualified drivers.
Interesting......
No idea if this is good for people like myself sat in talent pools but its interesting either way :E

dan2610

I noticed GWR have stopped advertising for some of the qualified Talent pools for example Penzance, Plymouth & Exeter. They have also posted adverts for some specific depots like Exeter and Bristol for Qualified drivers.
Interesting......
No idea if this is good for people like myself sat in talent pools but its interesting either way :E
Interesting development! You must've noticed it almost immediately as I tend to check every Friday just out of interest, and the Qualified posts were still on there. A few weeks ago they pulled the Par qualified vacancy and then started offering those who applied for Par to change to a different depot, so I'm not sure what happens next in this instance!

Class2ldn

I had an application in for a qualified drivers position, couldn't make the 1st interview as I was working and was told once they have a new date il hear. Now had an email saying I've been unsuccessful so not sure whether they have just binned off my application or its an error.
Just waiting to hear back from recruitment as seems odd.

Jaytrains

Yhh potential start dates in the new tax year which is april 2021

For the Paddington depot..

I had an application in for a qualified drivers position, couldn't make the 1st interview as I was working and was told once they have a new date il hear. Now had an email saying I've been unsuccessful so not sure whether they have just binned off my application or its an error.
Just waiting to hear back from recruitment as seems odd.

Yeah could be an error, try call HR

Stigy

Established Member
When I had my DMI I got a direct number to depot manager. I don't know if it is normal or just special circumstances.
You probably are right in that that’s the norm actually, I was thinking more but landline numbers.

G30RG3

Some interesting developments here for sure.

Does anyone have any info on GWR Plymouth & if they are likely to start running courses for trainee drivers in the future?

Lee70

How many students are in a normal intake of trainee drivers? I know they only pick the top performers of DMI’s once the pool is full and there’s a new course starting....

Danetime

I was under the impression that they start from the top of one pool then move on to the next pool when that pool is either empty or all candidates have been offered a start date. I know they have still got quite a few left in the 2019/20 pool for Exeter.

Lee70

I was under the impression that they start from the top of one pool then move on to the next pool when that pool is either empty or all candidates have been offered a start date. I know they have still got quite a few left in the 2019/20 pool for Exeter.
Hmmm I was placed in the Exeter pool in January 2020
I was told I’m my DMI that you’re selected by your interview performance and that all previous results count for nothing. All I know is that I dream of the day I can hand my notice in at work lmao

Danetime

I believe that's right you get placed in the talent pool base on your score. However, I don't think there is a huge gap between the highest placed and the min score needed to pass. I think if I remember righty. 5 questions with a possible score of 5 points on each? So don't think that's actually a gulf in difference scores but I could be wrong.

Depends on what pool you've applied for (should say on the first website). Think there is two for Exeter St David's 2019/2020 and 2020/2021. They still have candidates in the 2019/2020 pool including myself. Got told when they finished the 2019/2020 pool they then move onto the 2021/2021 pool. But in reality, nobody really knows hows how the crystal ball of talents pools work I think.

jacey

Some interesting developments here for sure.

Does anyone have any info on GWR Plymouth & if they are likely to start running courses for trainee drivers in the future?
I haven't heard anything, been in talent pool just under 1 year, i'm hopeful some of us hear something in 2021 but just going on this forum it would seem 15 plus people in the talent pool for Plymouth then you add the people not on this forum and chances reduce even more. No idea how many would be on a course but i would guess its under 10... So even if some hear something i think the majority in the pool won't. But we can live in hope we are some of the lucky few!

Lee70

I haven't heard anything, been in talent pool just under 1 year, i'm hopeful some of us hear something in 2021 but just going on this forum it would seem 15 plus people in the talent pool for Plymouth then you add the people not on this forum and chances reduce even more. No idea how many would be on a course but i would guess its under 10... So even if some hear something i think the majority in the pool won't. But we can live in hope we are some of the lucky few!
True that!! I’m in the Exeter st David’s pool 2019/20

I believe that's right you get placed in the talent pool base on your score. However, I don't think there is a huge gap between the highest placed and the min score needed to pass. I think if I remember righty. 5 questions with a possible score of 5 points on each? So don't think that's actually a gulf in difference scores but I could be wrong.

Depends on what pool you've applied for (should say on the first website). Think there is two for Exeter St David's 2019/2020 and 2020/2021. They still have candidates in the 2019/2020 pool including myself. Got told when they finished the 2019/2020 pool they then move onto the 2021/2021 pool. But in reality, nobody really knows hows how the crystal ball of talents pools work I think.
Who told you? Where else are you looking?

jacey

True that!! I’m in the Exeter st David’s pool 2019/20
We just have to hope over the 5 year period they allow to be in the pool, we get the call even if it's not the first course. It increases the chances of the next course if you miss the first one so always a positive in every negative 5 years is a long time :)

TheGoldfish

We just have to hope over the 5 year period they allow to be in the pool, we get the call even if it's not the first course. It increases the chances of the next course if you miss the first one so always a positive in every negative 5 years is a long time :)
I was under the impression it’s the tests that last for 5 years not the TP? i thought the pool was just 2? Although covid may have changed that now ?

Status
Not open for further replies.