• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Train Driver talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

irish_rail

Established Member
Don't know if this has been mentioned to you yet but any new starters for the likes of Bristol and Plymouth are all going to be depot drivers. No more trainee mainline drivers at those depots. Unsure of the policy elsewhere
Not entirely sure that's accurate re Plymouth as I know an on board host who has just been offered trainee driver for the mainline at PLymouth , but as you say many new starters are going to be depot manouverers before getting chance to go mainline after a period of time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DogDays

As Stigy says basically. At Bristol you'll work to/from SPM and Plymouth to/from Laira

Mostly nights and on a reduced salary compared to mainline drivers. Can go mainline after you've served a minimum of two years as a depot driver by applying to transfer. It's not guaranteed and you'll be subject to waiting your turn, and judging by the number of depot drivers taken on, could easily be a good few years wait
Thanks for the clarification, much appreciated

Is that just Bristol and Plymouth or does this affect other depots too?

dan2610

The possibility of depot driving was mentioned during my DMI, which I had in January last year. I'm still in a talent pool for trainee driver but didn't really know how much difference there was between mainline and depot driver, and how easy (or not so easy) it is to move from depot to mainline.

Smith3712

I know others had this mentioned in their DMI but this didn't come up for me in the 19/20 pool and it was my understanding (not that I know much!) that Plymouth is short staffed and has a big need for drivers so a little confused why all new trainees wouldn't be mainline?

irish_rail

Established Member
I know others had this mentioned in their DMI but this didn't come up for me in the 19/20 pool and it was my understanding (not that I know much!) that Plymouth is short staffed and has a big need for drivers so a little confused why all new trainees wouldn't be mainline?
Because we are short of drivers on the depot, hence why trainees are not needed for the mainline at present. Once they've stocked the depot with depot drivers perhaps they will take on some more for the mainline, but the depot is a very good place to cut your teeth.

Smith3712

Because we are short of drivers on the depot, hence why trainees are not needed for the mainline at present. Once they've stocked the depot with depot drivers perhaps they will take on some more for the mainline, but the depot is a very good place to cut your teeth.
Makes sense if they are short I was just aware mainline drivers were short too! Still sounds like it would be great though and as you say, a really good place to start.

Stigy

Established Member
Not entirely sure that's accurate re Plymouth as I know an on board host who has just been offered trainee driver for the mainline at PLymouth , but as you say many new starters are going to be depot manouverers before getting chance to go mainline after a period of time.
Not sure if it was just a last minute thing, but one group were recruited as mainline and told when they started their rules course they’d actually be Depot Drivers instead. It did seem very last minute and I’d like to think it’s not the norm.

TheAnswer89

Not sure if it was just a last minute thing, but one group were recruited as mainline and told when they started their rules course they’d actually be Depot Drivers instead. It did seem very last minute and I’d like to think it’s not the norm.

How is that even possible if you have to sign a contract that must state your actual postion? I mean it's very weird.

Stigy

Established Member
How is that even possible if you have to sign a contract that must state your actual postion? I mean it's very weird.
The contract says “Trainee Train Driver” (I think). And it’s only for the duration of you’re traineeship therefore there’s nothing specific ro mainline driving in it.

TheAnswer89

The contract says “Trainee Train Driver” (I think). And it’s only for the duration of you’re traineeship therefore there’s nothing specific ro mainline driving in it.

Well, but your application on firstgroup website states Trainee Train Driver for XYZ depot and your responsibilites to operate trains with passengers right?

Information about salary is also there, so how is that possible they can actually offer significantly different position and much lower salary?

Stigy

Established Member
Well, but your application on firstgroup website states Trainee Train Driver for XYZ depot and your responsibilites to operate trains with passengers right?

Information about salary is also there, so how is that possible they can actually offer significantly different position and much lower salary?
I don’t know, but they obviously can because they did :D

Your application and the vacancy on the FirstGroup website is irrelevant. The contract (may) have a clause in it outlining that based on business needs you may be made to work elsewhere? Nobody was forced to be a Depot Driver, they could always resign.

jacey

Yeah this wasn't mentioned in my dmi and they said the same as you mention. Either way though it would still be a very welcome call that i would grab with both hands.

genziu8181

Yeah this wasn't mentioned in my dmi and they said the same as you mention. Either way though it would still be a very welcome call that i would grab with both hands.
Very interesting thing. There was no mentioning on my DMI(last week of december 2020)...however it is a career and long term so.probably most will take it either way. Interesting is a question....If you are depot driver can you apply as a qualified train driver somewhere else?

Stigy

Established Member
Very interesting thing. There was no mentioning on my DMI(last week of december 2020)...however it is a career and long term so.probably most will take it either way. Interesting is a question....If you are depot driver can you apply as a qualified train driver somewhere else?
That's a good question actually. If you didn't have to do a full rules course (like most Depot Drivers at other TOCs), you'd have to start as a trainee and apply as such. Not sure if that differs in this case? You'd definitely not have to re-take the psychometric assessments however.

Nonuts

I'm almost 100% sure that one of the courses that was coming to the end of the full rules course when I started was all depot drivers so I wouldn't think you'd be a trainee again to go mainline or at least not need to resit rules. I know depot drivers at SWR have to start at the very beginning to become mainline drivers but it doesn't seem that's the case with GWR

Obviously stand to be corrected by those more in the know

Stigy

Established Member
I'm almost 100% sure that one of the courses that was coming to the end of the full rules course when I started was all depot drivers so I wouldn't think you'd be a trainee again to go mainline or at least not need to resit rules. I know depot drivers at SWR have to start at the very beginning to become mainline drivers but it doesn't seem that's the case with GWR

Obviously stand to be corrected by those more in the know
That’s what I assume to be the case too, although I fear it may be different if going to another TOC?. At SWR though, the reason they have to start again is because they don’t do any rules (they’re a driver grade, but in all but name really, and as such all they won’t have to redo are psychometric assessments...even then I have a friend who had to randomly redo them after three years depot driving at SWT/R).

Nonuts

That’s what I assume to be the case too, although I fear it may be different if going to another TOC?. At SWR though, the reason they have to start again is because they don’t do any rules (they’re a driver grade, but in all but name really, and as such all they won’t have to redo are psychometric assessments...even then I have a friend who had to randomly redo them after three years depot driving at SWT/R).
I'd expect to have the whole process again if a depot driver moving tocs from us as I assume they don't get a European drivers licence for the depot!? Might be wrong!

I used to travel to Basingstoke for my guards course with an ex SWT/R trainee driver who'd come from depot/shunter with them and he'd done the entire process

Stigy

Established Member
I'd expect to have the whole process again if a depot driver moving tocs from us as I assume they don't get a European drivers licence for the depot!? Might be wrong!

I used to travel to Basingstoke for my guards course with an ex SWT/R trainee driver who'd come from depot/shunter with them and he'd done the entire process
Depot Drivers at GWR and SWR both have ETDLs as they’re driver grades, however, at SWR they’d obviously have to do the full rules course to transfer to mainline, and likewise if they switched TOC, they’d have to basically start again. Because GWR depot drivers do a full rules course (note; Manos don’t as they’re the same as at SWR basically), then technically all they’d have to do is the handling hours and routes to go mainline?

Stigy

Established Member
Shows how 'green' I am as I thought the handling hours went towards the ETDL.
No, in fact, my licence was at depot in the first half of 2020 (the only reason I didn’t collect it was that I was staying away from depot in principle ;))....I assume once you do the ORR paperwork it gets processed straight away. They dish licences out to any old Tom, Dick or Harry these day, clearly :D

Nonuts

No, in fact, my licence was at depot in the first half of 2020 (the only reason I didn’t collect it was that I was staying away from depot in principle ;))....I assume once you do the ORR paperwork it gets processed straight away. They dish licences out to any old Tom, Dick or Harry these day, clearly :D
Ah good, that bodes well for me in that case;)

genziu8181

Thanks Nonuts and Stigy for your answers but still not sure. I am in talent pool. Let's say I will be offered depot driver position. How does it come if I want to go to mainline within GWR or mainline somewhere else? I would love to work on mainline and it's my dream so I am looking for the best and quickest way to get there. I will be hitting 40 soon and time is not on my side. Thanks for all your replies

Stigy

Established Member
Thanks Nonuts and Stigy for your answers but still not sure. I am in talent pool. Let's say I will be offered depot driver position. How does it come if I want to go to mainline within GWR or mainline somewhere else? I would love to work on mainline and it's my dream so I am looking for the best and quickest way to get there. I will be hitting 40 soon and time is not on my side. Thanks for all your replies
If you want to go Mainline but are offered a depot position, I’d take that job if I were you. I guess you’d just apply through the internal channels if a vacancy arises and go from there. Being a depot driver you’re already 3/4 there.

irish_rail

Established Member
Time not on your side? If you are 40 and get a depot job you'd probably be on the mainline by aged 43 with another 24 odd years to go if you so wish, how long a career do you want!!??

Nonuts

I wouldn't worry mate. I became a guard from outside the railway at 37, expected to wait 5-10 years to become a driver but became a trainee driver at 39. There's no reason (if it's depot to driver to start) you won't be mainline at 42/3 years old with 20+ years in one of the best offices there is

FGW_DID

Established Member

Being in the talent pool is no guarantee of a position as some have found out in the past. As noted above, if you are offered a role as depot driver, grab it then you’re in the door and almost there!
Is it worth the gamble to stay in the pool for a position that possibly might never happen?

Nonuts

Being in the talent pool is no guarantee of a position as some have found out in the past. As noted above, if you are offered a role as depot driver, grab it then you’re in the door and almost there!
Is it worth the gamble to stay in the pool for a position that possibly might never happen?
Exactly right. Excuse the euphemism but... if you're trying to get to London but the only train available is to Woking it's better to get on that and be most of the way there than sat in Pompey having gone nowhere! I've always been told that TOCS prefer to recruit/promote from within where possible and if depot driver had been offered to me because mainline wasn't a certainty, 100% I'd have taken it

Stigy

Established Member
Exactly right. Excuse the euphemism but... if you're trying to get to London but the only train available is to Woking it's better to get on that and be most of the way there than sat in Pompey having gone nowhere!
Especially during times of disruption ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.