• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Train Driver talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheAnswer89

I spoke to HR recently after being successful and getting into the talent pool. They said that its expected the pool to be completed around the end of April/early May, at which point they will start offering start dates as positions arise

GWR employees get first dibs (as per agreement with the unions), then it’ll go in order of highest scoring next before working down the scores.

We could be sitting right for a while longer yet. Our applications are valid as long as the test results (5 years).

What depot talent pool is it?

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Our newest trainees (at BTM) are looking at a years wait for a DI, so I'd just say either be prepared for a long wait in the pool, or budget for spending an extra year as a trainee on the training rate.

dan2610

GWR employees get first dibs (as per agreement with the unions), then it’ll go in order of highest scoring next before working down the scores.

Did they say if that's something that has been recently decided? When I had my DMI in January 2020, we spoke a bit about Talent Pools so they knew I was aware of what I was 'signing up' for. I asked how the order works and was told is based purely on scores. Highest first, then it filters down.

RupturedDuck

Did they say if that's something that has been recently decided? When I had my DMI in January 2020, we spoke a bit about Talent Pools so they knew I was aware of what I was 'signing up' for. I asked how the order works and was told is based purely on scores. Highest first, then it filters down.

Last edited:

387star

On Moderation
Our newest trainees (at BTM) are looking at a years wait for a DI, so I'd just say either be prepared for a long wait in the pool, or budget for spending an extra year as a trainee on the training rate.
Bristol has had a backlog of trainees for as long as I can remember
Fratton on the other hand in normal times sees Trainees pass out in well under a year due to no DI shortage, a easy route to learn in my opinion and normally few other trainees if any although weirdly recently it's gone a bit crazy!

tiptoptaff

Established Member
It's been that way for years. Despite what you've been told at interviews. HR have done it Internal first for at least the last 6years

Floo1977

Hi, not sure if this is the right thread but.... i just had a phone call to give me a medical and potential start date of september for paddington. Has anyone heard anything too?

Stigy

Established Member
Hi, not sure if this is the right thread but.... i just had a phone call to give me a medical and potential start date of september for paddington. Has anyone heard anything too?
Great news! That’s it then, pending medical and referencing you’ve got yourself a new job. Great feeling, isn’t it?

Floo1977

Great news! That’s it then, pending medical and referencing you’ve got yourself a new job. Great feeling, isn’t it?
Thanks..

Im sooo ridiculously happy. Just now going into panic mode about the medical.

Stigy

Established Member
Thanks..

Im sooo ridiculously happy. Just now going into panic mode about the medical.
You will do. As soon as one hurdle is overcome you’ll panic about the next one, or overthink it at least. I know I did.

Floo1977

I know, right..... just like thousands before, i womt be happy until i receive that contract...
Still in shock at getting the call although i read on here others had received a call on a sunday night in the past. Just really hope others got one too and are as happy as i am right now.

Jonnypulsar

Great news! If you don’t mind my asking, when did you pass your DMI? Also, were you an internal or external?

Status
Not open for further replies.