• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Train Driver talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldnewbie

Hi, not sure if this is the right thread but.... i just had a phone call to give me a medical and potential start date of september for paddington. Has anyone heard anything too?
Congratulations! Do you mind me asking if you had a DMI via Zoom? I've got one booked for next Tuesday and was wondering what questions are likely to be asked. Any help would be much appreciated as I'd love to get a position. Thanks & well done again.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Floo1977

Congratulations! Do you mind me asking if you had a DMI via Zoom? I've got one booked for next Tuesday and was wondering what questions are likely to be asked. Any help would be much appreciated as I'd love to get a position. Thanks & well done again.
Yes, it was a zoom interview. It prob lasted about 50mins. Tbh, the questions were fairly similar to the MMI. One that i wasnt expecting was, what tactics would u use to keep yourself motivated and alert whilst driving when you are tired? Whilst it is a logical question, it wasnt asked in that simple way. It took 3 attempts for them explain what they wanted from me. Lol. Im an ex tube driver so once i understood the question i was able to answer quite easily. The interview itself was much more informal and relaxed than the MMI. There was a thread on here that i referred to that covered the majority of the questions. Will see if i can find it. Good luck and hope you get through.

Oldnewbie

Yes, it was a zoom interview. It prob lasted about 50mins. Tbh, the questions were fairly similar to the MMI. One that i wasnt expecting was, what tactics would u use to keep yourself motivated and alert whilst driving when you are tired? Whilst it is a logical question, it wasnt asked in that simple way. It took 3 attempts for them explain what they wanted from me. Lol. Im an ex tube driver so once i understood the question i was able to answer quite easily. The interview itself was much more informal and relaxed than the MMI. There was a thread on here that i referred to that covered the majority of the questions. Will see if i can find it. Good luck and hope you get through.
Thanks guys replying, it's much appreciated. I'm currently depot driving & haven't done an MMI (with GWR) so just trying to get as much info as possible prior to the chat. I think I remember the thread you mentioned so I'll Iook for it but if you find it first, please send it through. All the very best pal.

Thanks guys replying, it's much appreciated. I'm currently depot driving & haven't done an MMI (with GWR) so just trying to get as much info as possible prior to the chat. I think I remember the thread you mentioned so I'll Iook for it but if you find it first, please send it through. All the very best pal.
I meant thanks *for* replying!

Last edited:

Nonuts

Other than the standard type of questions that mirror the mmi, the additional questions I can remember are: you're travelling to work, are first and only person at the scene of an accident. What would you do? I said.. obviously I'd help (only one there so would be a bit tight not to) and at the soonest opportunity inform duty control that I'd likely be late due to assisting at an accident.

What's an acceptable level of absence? None!... because it puts pressure on your colleagues, can lead to trains not running and that costs the company ect.

Anything to do with how to deal with fatigue. I'd advise against mentioning coffee/redbull and use, fresh air, stretching legs in cab or out when possible, using risk triggered commentary.

How do you/will you deal with the repetitive nature of the job, how do you feel about repetition? I'm sure I said something about repetition breeding competence and staying switched on to avoid complacency.

Best of luck

Oldnewbie

Other than the standard type of questions that mirror the mmi, the additional questions I can remember are: you're travelling to work, are first and only person at the scene of an accident. What would you do? I said.. obviously I'd help (only one there so would be a bit tight not to) and at the soonest opportunity inform duty control that I'd likely be late due to assisting at an accident.

What's an acceptable level of absence? None!... because it puts pressure on your colleagues, can lead to trains not running and that costs the company ect.

Anything to do with how to deal with fatigue. I'd advise against mentioning coffee/redbull and use, fresh air, stretching legs in cab or out when possible, using risk triggered commentary.

How do you/will you deal with the repetitive nature of the job, how do you feel about repetition? I'm sure I said something about repetition breeding competence and staying switched on to avoid complacency.

Best of luck
I can't thank you enough, this is really appreciated. All the best, hopefully see you out there one day!

Stigy

Established Member
One I recall being asked (and probably the easiest to answer just using common sense) was; “who would you say is responsible for your learning?”

Frankly, if you say anything other than “ultimately I am” and elaborate a bit, you need to have a rethink :D

I think I elaborated and said obviously I’d expect help and support, but ultimately my own learning is my responsibility, even if that means just speaking up if I don’t understand something.

Oldnewbie

One I recall being asked (and probably the easiest to answer just using common sense) was; “who would you say is responsible for your learning?”

Frankly, if you say anything other than “ultimately I am” and elaborate a bit, you need to have a rethink :D

I think I elaborated and said obviously I’d expect help and support, but ultimately my own learning is my responsibility, even if that means just speaking up if I don’t understand something.
Great, thank you.

Thanks

jacey

Did Anyone in the talent pools for mainline get an email about the Depot driver roles ?

Stigy

Established Member
Yeah that's the one. I took it as good news, no dates still but nice to get an update.
Yeah, I’d take any news like that as positive. Even if you become a depot driver, it’s a massive step in the right direction, and decent money.

irish_rail

Established Member

Best of luck
Just want to pull you up on something here, I'm not sure if you are traincrew at GWR or not? I am, and if you get asked about absence it is important to emphasise that you would be prepared to go sick if you are unfit to drive a train, be it for fatigue , illness, mental health or whatever. The last thing GWR want is a driver turning up for work despite being in a poor state, physically or mentally. They would far rather you ring up sick (with as much notice as possible) than drive a train whilst in the wrong frame of mind or whilst feeling unwell....

vikingdriver

Just want to pull you up on something here, I'm not sure if you are traincrew at GWR or not? I am, and if you get asked about absence it is important to emphasise that you would be prepared to go sick if you are unfit to drive a train, be it for fatigue , illness, mental health or whatever. The last thing GWR want is a driver turning up for work despite being in a poor state, physically or mentally. They would far rather you ring up sick (with as much notice as possible) than drive a train whilst in the wrong frame of mind or whilst feeling unwell....

Second this! That question is a perfect spot (amongst many) to drop in the safety is number one priority answer as well as being professional.

crwl

Did Anyone in the talent pools for mainline get an email about the Depot driver roles ?
When was the email? I'm in a mainline talent pool and haven't received anything. Like mentioned already on here, the prospect of depot driver was also touted during the application process. I was under the impression that they could just offer mainline applicants a depot role, and it would be down to yourself whether you chose to accept or continue waiting. Maybe I need to get in contact with recruitment if that's not the case!

genziu8181

When was the email? I'm in a mainline talent pool and haven't received anything. Like mentioned already on here, the prospect of depot driver was also touted during the application process. I was under the impression that they could just offer mainline applicants a depot role, and it would be down to yourself whether you chose to accept or continue waiting. Maybe I need to get in contact with recruitment if that's not the case!
Hi. I know 3 people who get an email regarding this role. From my understanding it has not been offered to everyone but just selected numbers based probably on performance during DmI. It is being treated as an extra application so basically people who got invited are now in pool for 2 positions.

crwl

Hi. I know 3 people who get an email regarding this role. From my understanding it has not been offered to everyone but just selected numbers based probably on performance during DmI. It is being treated as an extra application so basically people who got invited are now in pool for 2 positions.
Fair enough. Thank you for that, I might email recruitment regarding this anyway, it can't hurt to ask at least!

Nonuts

I'm a trainee driver gwr. Get what you're saying and I'm sure I covered the 'fit physically and mentally' to sign on for duty in a different interview question at DMI

BooTwo

Is there any word on the grapevine for when GWR might be recruiting for trainee positions in Plymouth again? I failed a previous application but keen to have another crack.

Petefox83

Is there any word on the grapevine for when GWR might be recruiting for trainee positions in Plymouth again? I failed a previous application but keen to have another crack.

Someone may be able to give a better guestimate but I would say not for the foreseeable. I passed the tests and mmi in late 2019, (albeit initially for the Par pool) and am still waiting for a DMI for Plymouth.

irish_rail

Established Member
Future trainees at Plymouth will start as Manouverers at Laira depot for a minimum of 2 years. I think once the current backlog is cleared more will be taken on.

dabollicks

Someone may be able to give a better guestimate but I would say not for the foreseeable. I passed the tests and mmi in late 2019, (albeit initially for the Par pool) and am still waiting for a DMI for Plymouth
Exactly the same as me

G30RG3

Future trainees at Plymouth will start as Manouverers at Laira depot for a minimum of 2 years. I think once the current backlog is cleared more will be taken on.
Any information on potential start dates for Laira depot drivers?

Good luck to anyone awaiting

irish_rail

Established Member

I dont know but I'd say when the current backlog is cleared that more will be taken on , probably this year I would think as training is well underway again.

Cowcow15

Same question but for exeter depot. Anyone got any ideas? Appreciate its a guessing game but any insight would be appreciated.

G30RG3

I dont know but I'd say when the current backlog is cleared that more will be taken on , probably this year I would think as training is well underway again.
Thanks Irish, I appreciate its a lot of guesstimation at the moment however I'm also aware that there are ppl in at GWR & also on this forum; they will surely have a better insight... Obviously not disclosing anything confidential.

Its reassuring to know things are moving. I'm sure most ppl on here can sympathise with the waiting involved to get into any prospective toc, the process requires a lot of patience.. ! Add in a pandemic and the queues grow even longer!!

crwl

Thanks Irish, I appreciate its a lot of guesstimation at the moment however I'm also aware that there are ppl in at GWR & also on this forum; they will surely have a better insight... Obviously not disclosing anything confidential.

Its reassuring to know things are moving. I'm sure most ppl on here can sympathise with the waiting involved to get into any prospective toc, the process requires a lot of patience.. ! Add in a pandemic and the queues grow even longer!!
Are you internal or external? GWR have a policy of internal candidates getting preference.

Obviously scores and positions within talent pools aren’t disclosed, however I would guess that even the highest scoring external candidate may be a fair way down the list if there were a considerable amount of internal candidates. Not the end of the world, just adds to the wait a little bit!

I’ve no idea if any internal candidates in future talent pools would then have preference. For example, if an external candidate in a 19/20 talent pool would start before an internal candidate in a 20/21 talent pool... that would obviously again have a massive impact on if you’re offered a place before your 5-year test results expire or not.

Nonuts

Are you internal or external? GWR have a policy of internal candidates getting preference.

Obviously scores and positions within talent pools aren’t disclosed, however I would guess that even the highest scoring external candidate may be a fair way down the list if there were a considerable amount of internal candidates. Not the end of the world, just adds to the wait a little bit!

I’ve no idea if any internal candidates in future talent pools would then have preference. For example, if an external candidate in a 19/20 talent pool would start before an internal candidate in a 20/21 talent pool... that would obviously again have a massive impact on if you’re offered a place before your 5-year test results expire or not.
From whatvthw driver learning managers said to us during traction it definitely sounds like there's plans for quite a few trainee groups to start by years end. Obviously there's a lot of things that can affect this though.

Status
Not open for further replies.