• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Train Driver talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floo1977

Congratulations on passing. Pre interviews are new I believe? How was it, what did they ask and how did you pass :o ?

Hey there, I was wondering on this such question - how did you manage to answer it? What is it they are looking for. I got a similar question " How did you stop yourself from getting bored during this?"

THanks in advance

Hey there, I was wondering on this such question - how did you manage to answer it? What is it they are looking for. I got a similar question " How did you stop yourself from getting bored during this?"

THanks in advance
Hi,
I started off by saying that i would make sure that i had a decent nights sleep before starting my shift and that i was hydrated and had eaten something prior to booking on so my mind wouldnt be thinking of my stomach etc.... when i was driving on the tube i would bring a tissue with mandarin essential oil on to leave in my shirt pocket, the smell of that kept me alert (genuinely,lol) i also said that i would watch for signal post id plates and count them... there wasnt much to look at underground.... i would run the route and stations through my head and as sad as it sounds i would sing. (Poor passengers) i think alot of it is down to how u prepare for ur shift, making sure u dont have lots of stuff on ur mind to distract u. In the real world its obvs different... but thats how i got round that question. Hope this helps.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

desrudy

On Moderation
Hi,
I started off by saying that i would make sure that i had a decent nights sleep before starting my shift and that i was hydrated and had eaten something prior to booking on so my mind wouldnt be thinking of my stomach etc.... when i was driving on the tube i would bring a tissue with mandarin essential oil on to leave in my shirt pocket, the smell of that kept me alert (genuinely,lol) i also said that i would watch for signal post id plates and count them... there wasnt much to look at underground.... i would run the route and stations through my head and as sad as it sounds i would sing. (Poor passengers) i think alot of it is down to how u prepare for ur shift, making sure u dont have lots of stuff on ur mind to distract u. In the real world its obvs different... but thats how i got round that question. Hope this helps.

Thanks for these advices

Floo1977

Had my medical today. I passed!!! Just waiting for the contract now. If stigy is on here can i msg you about training etc.....

Nonuts

Congratulations. What was involved in the medical?
Medical is hearing, eyesight, ECG, drug and alcohol check (piss test). You have forms to fill in about sleep apnoea, general medical history and audiometry. Can't remember but think height and weight for BMI measurement

BooTwo

Thank you to those who replied regarding Plymouth recruitment. The waiting game continues!

irish_rail

Established Member
61500 was the expected amount after the 2020 paydeal. But due to covid it never happened.
I thought GWR were now on same as HSS and the pay deal was honoured despite covid? Could be wrong but I'm relatively sure they will be on 62k now like HSS. What hasn't happened due to covid is any HSs payrise for past 2 years...

Jaytrains

I think tiptoptaff is right after seeing this vacancy with the current salary..

Stigy

Established Member
I thought GWR were now on same as HSS and the pay deal was honoured despite covid? Could be wrong but I'm relatively sure they will be on 62k now like HSS. What hasn't happened due to covid is any HSs payrise for past 2 years...
Isn’t it nearer £60k rather than £62k even after harmonisation?

Stigy

Established Member
Crikey you are right, its a hundred quid or so over 60. Looks like I'd imagined a payrise this past two years! My mistake
I had it in my head it was about £62k before I passed out too for some reason. Maybe I was pre-empting a pay rise.

don’t know why I even said “isn’t it nearer £60k” actually, inferring I wasn’t sure because if it was £62k they’ve been underpaying me my 80% :)

tiptoptaff

Established Member
It was supposed to be 62k. We were told it would be 62k. It was practically a done deal, ASLEF weren't going after anything else, Management side had all but agreed and it was to be rubber stamped when paydeal time came around.

But, paydeal time never came, and the rise never happened because it hadn't officially been agreed pre-covid

PlexiDriver

Hi everyone!

I just got put on the talent pool for GWR trainee drivers at Paddington.

Just curious to know if anyone knows what staffing is like for GWR around Paddington at the moment and if people who might know do actually know if there are opportunities in the future? (Million Dollar question!)

tiptoptaff

Established Member
How long is a piece of string.

Impossible to say in normal times, even harder now with reduced class sizes and ongoing training delays. I'd say up to 2years wouldn't be unexpected and anything earlier is a bonus.

Bear in mind they've still got trainees sat at home waiting for DIs. They won't want to repeat that if they can avoid it

Status
Not open for further replies.