• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Train Driver talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldnewbie

Hi everyone!

I just got put on the talent pool for GWR trainee drivers at Paddington.

Just curious to know if anyone knows what staffing is like for GWR around Paddington at the moment and if people who might know do actually know if there are opportunities in the future? (Million Dollar question!)
Congratulations mate, I've just received the same notification... Not a bad way to start the week!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

G30RG3

Congratulations to those on the Paddington Talent Pool, it's not a easy feat by any means!

I alike am still sitting on the same questions with regards to staffing... Made the Plymouth mainline Talent Pool Nov 2020 and then Depot Driver Talent Pool around February this year was offered in addition. Still no news. The waiting game continues...

Oldnewbie

I'm not expecting any quick offers, I'm just over the moon to have got this far! Good luck to everyone in the same (or similar) boats

Congratulations to those on the Paddington Talent Pool, it's not a easy feat by any means!

I alike am still sitting on the same questions with regards to staffing... Made the Plymouth mainline Talent Pool Nov 2020 and then Depot Driver Talent Pool around February this year was offered in addition. Still no news. The waiting game continues...
Keep the faith, mate, I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end

Last edited:

Danetime

I heard that the next course has already been filled. A guard at St David's got the nod last Sunday. Training at Bristol though.

Danetime

St Davids and the 19/20 talent pool. Said he's been waiting for 2 years. Trying to find out the start date.

Smith3712

Good to hear that people are being called up even if it is a little slower. Certainly gives up a little extra hope!

crwl

Thanks for the info danetime!

Im in the 20/21 pool, so looks like its going to be quite a long wait for me!
You never know, I think it’s very much depot specific. I’m in a talent pool from the 19/20 campaign, however if you’re in a bigger or busier depot they may fill the positions a lot quicker and move to the next campaign’s candidates.

Understandably not much information is provided regarding talent pools, so it’s at least encouraging to know that some new courses are starting despite backlogs and everything else going on.

Cowcow15

You never know, I think it’s very much depot specific. I’m in a talent pool from the 19/20 campaign, however if you’re in a bigger or busier depot they may fill the positions a lot quicker and move to the next campaign’s candidates.

Understandably not much information is provided regarding talent pools, so it’s at least encouraging to know that some new courses are starting despite backlogs and everything else going on.
Thanks crwl!

Im on for exeter st davids, i assume thats a bigger depot so fingers crossed its a quick turn around.

What depot are you in for?

Nonuts

Well done to those who've made the talent pool. Great feeling right? Hopefully things move quickly for you with the covid backlog taken into consideration. When they can increase group sizes back to 12 trainees per driver learning manager opposed to the 4 avg it has been things will move better for everyone. As has been alluded to there's trainees waiting to complete traction or waiting for driving instructors. Rules to complete, interim assessments for those in driving hours, upskill days for qualified drivers or conversion courses. Out of 12 of us who started Feb '20 only myself and one other have gone back after rules for traction, the other 10 are provisionally back Aug/Sept. I don't want to pee on anyone's fire (and don't let it) but I figure I'd have wanted a realistic idea of what's going on to gauge things against.

TheAnswer89

Well done to those who've made the talent pool. Great feeling right? Hopefully things move quickly for you with the covid backlog taken into consideration. When they can increase group sizes back to 12 trainees per driver learning manager opposed to the 4 avg it has been things will move better for everyone. As has been alluded to there's trainees waiting to complete traction or waiting for driving instructors. Rules to complete, interim assessments for those in driving hours, upskill days for qualified drivers or conversion courses. Out of 12 of us who started Feb '20 only myself and one other have gone back after rules for traction, the other 10 are provisionally back Aug/Sept. I don't want to pee on anyone's fire (and don't let it) but I figure I'd have wanted a realistic idea of what's going on to gauge things against.
What depot are you in mate ?

Cowcow15

Thanks nonuts! Appreciate the update!

crwl

Thanks crwl!

Im on for exeter st davids, i assume thats a bigger depot so fingers crossed its a quick turn around.

What depot are you in for?
Penzance. I'm not really sure how many drivers they have there, but I can't imagine there's too much turnover in terms of staff transferring out.

I've only been in the talent pool since the start of February last year, and I have just under 3 and a half years until my assessment scores expire, so I'm fully prepared for a fairly long wait yet, even more so seeing as I'm an external candidate.

Cowcow15

Penzance. I'm not really sure how many drivers they have there, but I can't imagine there's too much turnover in terms of staff transferring out.

I've only been in the talent pool since the start of February last year, and I have just under 3 and a half years until my assessment scores expire, so I'm fully prepared for a fairly long wait yet, even more so seeing as I'm an external candidate.
I was put in the exeter pool in feb last year as well! So we are looking at the same kind of timescales then!

G30RG3

I'm not Penzance but very similar time frames...

Last correspondence I had was February this year inviting mainline Talent Pool candidates to also enter a Depot Driver Talent Pool, within the same Depot (Plymouth).

On successful application recruitment informed me that they were looking to run new courses late 2021 and early 2022. Nothing more specific and no guarantees. The email stated it was not a job offer and could change with restrictions around Covid.

Best of luck to everyone

Stigy

Established Member
Small depot and that's why its so slow. Bigger depots are moving quicker, cause obviously turnover is much bigger if that makes sense.
Not necessarily the case. There really is no method to it I’ve managed to fathom yet. I’m at a small depot too and we will have vacancies again at some point…..maybe. At small depots where maybe 25% or so if the workforce are older and/or nearing retirement age will naturally warrant more drivers sooner or later.

G30RG3

Not necessarily the case. There really is no method to it I’ve managed to fathom yet. I’m at a small depot too and we will have vacancies again at some point…..maybe. At small depots where maybe 25% or so if the workforce are older and/or nearing retirement age will naturally warrant more drivers sooner or later.
Hi Stigy, which depot are you covering?

Funnily enough I asked about staffing uplift at the end of my DMI and they mentioned an aging workforce as one of the main factors influencing staff turnover, due to the natural wasteage of of employees (i.e. Drivers) retiring.

Stigy

Established Member
Hi Stigy, which depot are you covering?

Funnily enough I asked about staffing uplift at the end of my DMI and they mentioned an aging workforce as one of the main factors influencing staff turnover, due to the natural wasteage of of employees (i.e. Drivers) retiring.
Fratton

Status
Not open for further replies.