• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Train Driver talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGoldfish

Morning guys, Does anyone know what the Paddington routes and shifts are like?
There’s a dedicated thread on this stuff

C00k1e

Not necessarily the case. There really is no method to it I’ve managed to fathom yet. I’m at a small depot too and we will have vacancies again at some point…..maybe. At small depots where maybe 25% or so if the workforce are older and/or nearing retirement age will naturally warrant more drivers sooner or later.
Hi, last year (Feb 20) I passed everything up to and including MMI with SWR at Fratton Depot. Naturally COVID put and end to recruitment! I have been recently informed by HR that there will be no newbies being taken on this year and next year will be very, very slow with huge backlogs. They also mentioned that Fratton is not, at the moment, considered a priority for manpower etc as this depot is popular for people transferring to from other depots. This was just before industry wide redundancies was talked about so going to be a long wait I reckon and assessments, etc probably be invalid by the time things pick up again. If folks start getting a course then great, but don’t depend on it happening anytime soon!!! (Of course I could be completely wrong!!!)

Stigy

Established Member
Hi, last year (Feb 20) I passed everything up to and including MMI with SWR at Fratton Depot. Naturally COVID put and end to recruitment! I have been recently informed by HR that there will be no newbies being taken on this year and next year will be very, very slow with huge backlogs. They also mentioned that Fratton is not, at the moment, considered a priority for manpower etc as this depot is popular for people transferring to from other depots. This was just before industry wide redundancies was talked about so going to be a long wait I reckon and assessments, etc probably be invalid by the time things pick up again. If folks start getting a course then great, but don’t depend on it happening anytime soon!!! (Of course I could be completely wrong!!!)
It will naturally be a waiting game for any new courses I reckon. However, bear in mind Fratton depot is a large depot for SWR, whereas for GWR it’s far smaller.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
It's also worth baring in mind that large depots have a much higher trainee to DI ratio than at smaller ones. At my depot (large) there's currently 20-30 trainees waiting and only a dozen or so available DIs.

When Stigy returned, they had more DIs than trainees at his place, so getting through it has been quicker.

A lot depends on local management and DI availability, rather than raw depot size

C00k1e

It will naturally be a waiting game for any new courses I reckon. However, bear in mind Fratton depot is a large depot for SWR, whereas for GWR it’s far smaller.
It's also worth baring in mind that large depots have a much higher trainee to DI ratio than at smaller ones. At my depot (large) there's currently 20-30 trainees waiting and only a dozen or so available DIs.

When Stigy returned, they had more DIs than trainees at his place, so getting through it has been quicker.

A lot depends on local management and DI availability, rather than raw depot size
Very fair points and not something I had considered, thank you.

Static65

I have just had a call about starting, having been placed into a talent pool for Oxford around two and a half years ago back in January 2019. I had all but written this one off, as after a year it disappeared from my career site login page and I thought they may not have been keen on me needing to relocate for the role from the North.

I have turned the offer down, as I started with another TOC over 2 years ago now, but thought the update may be of interest to anyone else that has been in a talent pool for years. Even if all of your details have gone from the career portal and you live at the other end of the country, evidently you can still eventually be offered a position.

jacey

I have just had a call about starting, having been placed into a talent pool for Oxford around two and a half years ago back in January 2019. I had all but written this one off, as after a year it disappeared from my career site login page and I thought they may not have been keen on me needing to relocate for the role from the North.

I have turned the offer down, as I started with another TOC over 2 years ago now, but thought the update may be of interest to anyone else that has been in a talent pool for years. Even if all of your details have gone from the career portal and you live at the other end of the country, evidently you can still eventually be offered a position.
This is good to hear and gives some of us hope. a Long patient wait it shows you can get the call in the future even 2.5 years in.

Jaytrains

Morning everyone, quick question about the pay, i have two friends that recently passed their training with london overground and because their training lasted longer then expected due to the company being short with instructors and also covid of course they got back paid between 3 or 4 months of their full driver pay, is it the same for gwr?

Stigy

Established Member
Morning everyone, quick question about the pay, i have two friends that recently passed their training with london overground and because their training lasted longer then expected due to the company being short with instructors and also covid of course they got back paid between 3 or 4 months of their full driver pay, is it the same for gwr?
Unfortunately not.

tiptoptaff

Established Member

Unfortunately not.
You can make a claim for x weeks of driver pay, based on various factors, usually ones where the company themselves have delayed you. For example, lack of available DIs. Lack of available Sim slots, lack of DSMs to pass you out....

But each claim is heavily scrutinised. And covid certainly won't be a reason for back pay

Does anyone know how long it is between passing the medical and receiving your contract for GWR? Anyone else received theirs yet for September '21 start?

Lee70

Hey folks!! I’m in the talent pool for Exeter st David’s and have been since January 2020. Anyone heard anything? Any movements on the trainee call up????

Danetime

Hey folks!! I’m in the talent pool for Exeter st David’s and have been since January 2020. Anyone heard anything? Any movements on the trainee call up????
Hey Lee,

I know a guard from St Davids has had the call for a course this year. What pool you in 2019/20or 2020/21? Should say on the portal.

Currently in the pool for St Davids as well since June 2019. Hopefully, we can get the call soon!

Cowcow15

Hey Lee,

I know a guard from St Davids has had the call for a course this year. What pool you in 2019/20or 2020/21? Should say on the portal.

Currently in the pool for St Davids as well since June 2019. Hopefully, we can get the call soon!
Thats good news!

Im in the 20/21 pool for st davids. I dont have anything on my portal any more as its been over 12 months, but have emailed first group who have said im still in the pool.

Do you know if they mix talent pools? I.E, say they were looking to take on 12 people for training but there were only 4 left in 19/20 pool, would they then top it up with people from the 20/21 pool?

Lee70

Hey Lee,

I’ve heard this too. I was told there would be no priority over internal candidates but always found that hard to believe. Leaving my DMI in January 2020 I really felt I nailed that interview.. oh well.
I applied in June 2019 and placed in the Exeter st David’s pool in January 2020 so I’m guessing I’m in the 19/20 pool??
by the portal dyou mean first group careers log in??

JunnyT

My colleague at work got medical and start date for Bristol Temple Meads, so things are moving along

Nonuts

My colleague at work got medical and start date for Bristol Temple Meads, so things are moving along
Wow! The BTM guys from my Feb '20 course are still at home waiting on a traction course and have been warned there's no available driving instructors for a long while so I'm really surprised they're planning a Temple Meads course. Good news for those waiting in the ever deepening pools though

So when does their course start?

Last edited:

crwl

Is your colleague an internal or external candidate? I assume from the wording it's external, but thought I'd just ask.

I've seen and heard differing accounts on whether it's internal-first at GWR or not. I've been told that it's their policy to prioritise internals, but also read experiences on here where externals have started ahead of internals in their pool.

If there is at least possibilities where externals have started ahead of internals (score dependent of course), then it possibly reduces the waiting time for some of us which would be an encouragement.

JunnyT

Is your colleague an internal or external candidate? I assume from the wording it's external, but thought I'd just ask.

I've seen and heard differing accounts on whether it's internal-first at GWR or not. I've been told that it's their policy to prioritise internals, but also read experiences on here where externals have started ahead of internals in their pool.

If there is at least possibilities where externals have started ahead of internals (score dependent of course), then it possibly reduces the waiting time for some of us which would be an encouragement

not working directly for GWR already but we work for First Bus which is also under FirstGroup, so it’s kind of internal/external

Lee70

If there is at least possibilities where externals have started ahead of internals (score dependent of course), then it possibly reduces the waiting time for some of us which would be an encouragement.
My worry is that as an external you’ll always be pushed back if internal has priority. There will always be internal candidates.
my feeling is I absolutely smashed my DMI out the park and did sooooo much research for the role. Doesn’t count for much if there’s first group employees waiting.
I emailed HR but just polite batting off.

TheAnswer89

My worry is that as an external you’ll always be pushed back if internal has priority. There will always be internal candidates.
my feeling is I absolutely smashed my DMI out the park and did sooooo much research for the role. Doesn’t count for much if there’s first group employees waiting.
I emailed HR but just polite batting off.
There is no priority for internals. Only advantage is that some roles are not being advertised to the public at all, but in terms of being pulled out of the talent pools the only thing that matters is your overall scores. The higher score you got the sooner you will be pulled out. As simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.