• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Train Driver talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stigy

Established Member
My worry is that as an external you’ll always be pushed back if internal has priority. There will always be internal candidates.
my feeling is I absolutely smashed my DMI out the park and did sooooo much research for the role. Doesn’t count for much if there’s first group employees waiting.
I emailed HR but just polite batting off.
It depends on your score at interview. If you scored higher than any internals, you’d be placed in the pool. If they scored higher, obviously they’d get in the pool. If all the scores are similar, that’s when I believe internals would get priority.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGoldfish

My worry is that as an external you’ll always be pushed back if internal has priority. There will always be internal candidates.
my feeling is I absolutely smashed my DMI out the park and did sooooo much research for the role. Doesn’t count for much if there’s first group employees waiting.
I emailed HR but just polite batting off.
I don’t think it’s as straight forward as that … if a guard has applied his/her manager will probably be reluctant to release them … as then they’d be short staffed until replacements can be found … looking holistically at running and maintaining a service it doesn’t make sense to just move all your internal staff and then try and back fill afterwards using a load of new untrained externals …. So doing it fairly probably brings a balance to things and meets the business needs better imho.

G30RG3

My colleague at work got medical and start date for Bristol Temple Meads, so things are moving along
Promising :)

Funnily enough I emailed recruitment this week and nothing exciting however they did state that their "wfp" which I assume is their thresholds for staff, is reviewed on a regular basis and changes are often made. Aside from this I got a generic "we do not have any further updates."

This is for Plymouth.

Best wishes for anyone also waiting.

jacey

I think in almost any industry companies will put internal colleagues first and imo so they should, you should always look after your own, how could you not put someone that's worked for the business and knows the way it runs and the way the company operates, its easier you know they're reliable and committed as they already have shown that. Its common sense and has been that way in every single job i have ever had.

in terms of who goes first in a talent pool no idea, i would imagine as many say its done on a score basis however im sure the internals have more opportunities with jobs only being offered internally etc. On average an internal will score higher than an external also they know what the job entails more and work for the company so understand the company values better, they know the bosses so will be more calm. Internally you have a massive edge this is just the way it is and should be.

crwl

There is no priority for internals. Only advantage is that some roles are not being advertised to the public at all, but in terms of being pulled out of the talent pools the only thing that matters is your overall scores. The higher score you got the sooner you will be pulled out. As simple as that.

That's what I was told in my DMI however I enquired a while ago about updates and was told that internals would get the offer first, then externals would be offered a place once all internals from that pool had gone. Obviously people have had other experiences so I guess I'll just have to wait and see. The higher the score, the sooner the start does seem to be a much more logical approach though!

G30RG3

"When the talent pool is complete, everyone in the talent pool will be placed in order of their performance at interview.

Should then, vacancies for Trainee Drivers arise, candidates will be contacted in the talent pool in that order."

Taken from recent correspondence.

I'm sure internals can seek more information and better insight, however if they only wanted internals why waste money on an external recruitment campaign?

As they evolve companies like GWR need new blood. Experience and skill sets from other industries. New ideas. Other professionals can also prove reliability and fitness for the role from their current jobs.

I'm sure their are internal privileges; however if it was that much of a key factor I think we'd see an internal application process only, a bit like how cross country have recently advertised. Plus GWR have a qualified drivers uplift running alongside the trainee driver intakes (for some depots).

People have been an extended time now, waiting to be called, return to training or even apply for vacancies. This causes a lot of speculation and over thinking (including myself) which is why we are seeing these discussions. I don't think we'll ever understand the exact process though!

Hopefully people's turn will come, the good news is its looks like there is definitely movement and training is slowly starting up again :)

Jaytrains

I don’t think it’s as straight forward as that … if a guard has applied his/her manager will probably be reluctant to release them … as then they’d be short staffed until replacements can be found … looking holistically at running and maintaining a service it doesn’t make sense to just move all your internal staff and then try and back fill afterwards using a load of new untrained externals …. So doing it fairly probably brings a balance to things and meets the business needs better imho.

Totally agree with this

Josho124

I just had an email to book an interview GWR Paddington depot. Is this the DMI? If I fail this interview will I lose a life? Also they gave no indication of what may be asked. Can anybody shed some light?

TheAnswer89

I just had an email to book an interview GWR Paddington depot. Is this the DMI? If I fail this interview will I lose a life? Also they gave no indication of what may be asked. Can anybody shed some light?
No. If its DMI and most likely it is. You dont have lives* on DMI. DMI is sort of normal interview and therefore won't count towards your lives. Other TOCs dont even have an access to information if you had any DMIs anywhere else as far as I know.

Jaytrains

Congratulations and no u dont lose a life and which talent pool is this for ? The 2020/2021?

And good luck

Lee70

How do I find out which pool I’m in?? I applied in June 2019 placed in pool for Exeter st David’s in January 2020

T-Karmel

How do I find out which pool I’m in?? I applied in June 2019 placed in pool for Exeter st David’s in January 2020
Log in to First portal, dig out your application, open the vacancy (click on the job advert number) and scroll down. It should say on the bottom for example this:

Additional Information:

We are recruiting for a Talent Pool for Trainee Drivers for 2019/20.

So yesterday evening I received a phone call from GWR recruitment asking if I was still interested in the job and if I could start on a course in January! Of course I said yes and now the wheels are in motion

The reason I've posted this isn't to gloat but to say

1. Things are finally moving so keep the faith!

2. It can be a very long process - it was 3.5 years ago when I did my tests with SWR

3. Don't let age be a barrier to getting where you want to be (I'm over 50)

Good luck to everyone still in the pool

C00k1e

So yesterday evening I received a phone call from GWR recruitment asking if I was still interested in the job and if I could start on a course in January! Of course I said yes and now the wheels are in motion

2. It can be a very long process - it was 3.5 years ago when I did my tests with SWR

Congratulations, fantastic news! Which depot will you be based at?

ReginaldP

Congratulations and good luck.

Lee70

Congratulations and good luck.

Omg that’s awesome news!!! What pool are you in? 19/20? I’m in 20/21 so won’t be going anywhere anytime soon

Cowcow15

Really helpful to hear your news. I’ve been in Exeter st David’s pool
Since January 2020 so doubt I’ll get a call this year….
Me too Lee70, but its positive that things are moving again! We may even be in the same training group when it starts!

Congrats to mostlyharmless! Please keep us updated with your progress, and best of luck in your training!

jezzer34

Congrats mate that's great news i bet your over the moon, gives us all some positive news and hope.

dabollicks

It’s great that things are moving. Congrats! Still waiting patiently for a DMI since November 2019

Stigy

Established Member

Fantastic news, really pleased to hear! Thanks for sharing!

Danetime

This is awesome news! Some positive news like this gives us hopefuls and dreamers in the pool some glimmer of hope.

jacey

The Paddington depot seems to be picking a few out the pool, i guess that's also GWR's biggest depot and pool. It's nice to see though congrats

jacey

Its not. Reading is bigger afaik
oh really i just assumed with Paddington being the busier train station that would be the case but i guess other TOCs also operate. anyways good news ppl are getting called for roles lets hope we hear some news from other depots soon enough.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.