• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Train Driver talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

upanddown

Been checking out this thread as I put in an application for the qualified pool at bristol late last year and haven't heard anything other than comfirmation my applications under consideration. In entering the pool are people offered DMI's and then wait in the pool for years if successful? I'd hope with the wait I've had so far, the DMI interview would be for a specific position. Would really appreciate it if anyone can outline the process to getting a job offer especially for a qualified driver position. It looks like Bristol does come up every now and then so fingers crossed I get something soon... Cheers and good luck to everyone!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OldNick

In entering the pool are people offered DMI's and then wait in the pool for years if successful? I'd hope with the wait I've had so far, the DMI interview would be for a specific position. Would really appreciate it if anyone can outline the process to getting a job offer especially for a qualified driver position.
Most people seem to wait a while, but not all, at least for trainee anyway.

I think if the ad says pool, it will be for a pool not a specific position.

Class2ldn

Been checking out this thread as I put in an application for the qualified pool at bristol late last year and haven't heard anything other than comfirmation my applications under consideration. In entering the pool are people offered DMI's and then wait in the pool for years if successful? I'd hope with the wait I've had so far, the DMI interview would be for a specific position. Would really appreciate it if anyone can outline the process to getting a job offer especially for a qualified driver position. It looks like Bristol does come up every now and then so fingers crossed I get something soon... Cheers and good luck to everyone!
I queried this and they said its for a pool so even if you get passed the interview etc it could be months before a position comes up.
They can't even sort an interview out and keep saying covid is the reason as they don't have enough managers available to do them, that excuse is getting a bit long winded now so I've started looking at other opportunities.

Baqanz

I have a colleague who waited 3 months for an interview and then its going to be over a year and half by the time they actually get to their start date from when they applied. So these are some long timescales.

I've got an application in and now just put in to the back of my mind and carrying on.

Leafgirl

Hi everyone,

I’ve had the great news of being given a start date in January for Oxford station.
I was just hoping someone could shed some light on what I can expect during training? Length, timings, time off etc.

thanks!

Jaytrains

Cong
Hi everyone,

I’ve had the great news of being given a start date in January for Oxford station.
I was just hoping someone could shed some light on what I can expect during training? Length, timings, time off etc.

thanks!

Congratulations and how long did u have to wait after completing your dmi? And is it for the 2019/2020 pool?

officewalla

Hi everyone,

thanks!
I start in October for the Oxford depot. I can let you know as things progress from October.

B-Line

Hi All,

I’ve been a long time reader of this forum and found it very helpful over the years in my efforts trying to become a train driver, so thanks to all for that.

I too have also recently had ‘that phone call’ and all being well I will be starting on a training course in Jan 2022 for Oxford. Really excited and happy about that.

Like many is this thread I’ve been waiting a long time for this. My first application for the trainee role was for FGW way back in 2013. After many ups and downs with aptitude tests, MMI etc, I eventually got a DMI interview with GWR in Jan 2019 which thankfully I passed and was put into this pool. So I was waiting for the call for about 2.5 years… for the last year or so I’d basically given up hope. Some reassurance there maybe for others who have been waiting a long while

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Bristol is oversubscribed at the moment. We have a lot of trainees coming through in to lower links without the work to sustain it.

I'd very surprised if they, in amongst this, took any new qualified drivers at the moment. Not to say it wouldn't happen, of course.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Moderator Note: I have now expanded this thread to include anyone interested in discussing the GWR driver talent pool, including 2021 applicants.

Kayle

Hello guys,

Passed everything in the beginning of the year and no contact since. Anyone waiting in the talent pool for Reading Station? Anyone can shed a light on whats that depot like? Duty wise, links and all that?

Kayle

Danetime

Been in the pool since June 2019 :smile: waiting is definitely the hardest part I'm finding especially as I could be facing redundancy when this furlough scheme ends this month :(

Jaytrains

Nearly a year since I passed my dmi, still waiting aswell

I wonder if anyone on here that’s currently training can fill us in on the number of trainees they have training in group, wether it’s still four or back to the original number before covid happened?

G30RG3

I'm not in the company nor am I priveliged to any finite details, however I have heard that training is back in full swing at Plymouth and I think this means that there are 12 trainees to each course. Also talk of more trainers coming through to accommodate the new trainees.

Appears things are moving. How quickly my guess is as good as any other. Like many I'm a year in waiting since my DMI but remaining hopeful :)

TheAnswer89

Been in the pool since June 2019 :smile: waiting is definitely the hardest part I'm finding especially as I could be facing redundancy when this furlough

Nearly a year since I passed my dmi, still waiting aswell

I wonder if anyone on here that’s currently training can fill us in on the number of trainees they have training in group, wether it’s still four or back to the original number before covid happened?
I'm not in the company nor am I priveliged to any finite details, however I have heard that training is back in full swing at Plymouth and I think this means that there are 12 trainees to each course. Also talk of more trainers coming through to accommodate the new trainees.

Appears things are moving. How quickly my guess is as good as any other. Like many I'm a year in waiting since my DMI but remaining hopeful :)

What depots are you guys waiting for?

Jaytrains

Thanks for the reply and hopefully you get a start date soon

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Classroom sizes are still reduced and smaller courses are still being run.

A long long wait still ahead for many of you I'm afraid.

And for many a wait that'll be in vain, from what my DSM told me last night on my ride out

Mr Oli

Classroom sizes are still reduced and smaller courses are still being run.

A long long wait still ahead for many of you I'm afraid.

And for many a wait that'll be in vain, from what my DSM told me last night on my ride out
What did your DSM tell you?
Many of your posts in this group seem to be posted with the intention of impacting what little hope some of us have left.
I myself have been in the Bristol TM pool for a little over two years (your depot I believe?) - you mean to say that the likelihood of myself and others making it out of the pool is now virtually none?

I appreciate you are working within GWR so may be party inside information, but genuine information rather than negative insinuations would be much better for us who are trying to make this wait a little more positive.

Thanks.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
What did your DSM tell you?
Many of your posts in this group seem to be posted with the intention of impacting what little hope some of us have left.
I myself have been in the Bristol TM pool for a little over two years (your depot I believe?) - you mean to say that the likelihood of myself and others making it out of the pool is now virtually none?

I appreciate you are working within GWR so may be party inside information, but genuine information rather than negative insinuations would be much better for us who are trying to make this wait a little more positive.

Thanks.

There's a slight difference between negative insinuations and reality. Trainees are generally being passed out at very slow rates across the industry, and GWR will be no exception.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
There's a slight difference between negative insinuations and reality. Trainees are generally being passed out at very slow rates across the industry, and GWR will be no exception.
This.

And, he said, in his exact words "there's no way that everyone currently in a pool will get a job"

I'm not here to deliberately dash hopes. But a taste of reality is sometimes needed. Even internally, many believe being in a talent pool will see them in to a job. There's a long line of qualified drivers waiting to come to Bristol. Trainees will be a long way down the list. If they even get taken on at all.

There are no new trainee courses for BTM planned for the foreseeable.

Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. And expect it.

Mr Oli

This.

And, he said, in his exact words "there's no way that everyone currently in a pool will get a job"

I'm not here to deliberately dash hopes. But a taste of reality is sometimes needed. Even internally, many believe being in a talent pool will see them in to a job. There's a long line of qualified drivers waiting to come to Bristol. Trainees will be a long way down the list. If they even get taken on at all.

Appreciated. At the very least it helps to manage expectations.

Nonuts

This.

Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. And expect it.

A couple of months back someone posted on here saying they (or a colleague of theirs, I forget which) had a training start date of Nov 21 for temple Meads?

tiptoptaff

Established Member
A couple of months back someone posted on here saying they (or a colleague of theirs, I forget which) had a training start date of Nov 21 for temple Meads?
Not getting confused with the SPM drivers? They, along with Parkway, have a course around then

Nonuts

Not getting confused with the SPM drivers? They, along with Parkway, have a course around then
Posted on July 8th. Said btm but I get what you're saying. I heard a lot of people had been offered depot driver in place of mainline.

There was a Parkway rules course when I did traction also.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Posted on July 8th. Said btm but I get what you're saying. I heard a lot of people had been offered depot driver in place of mainline.

There was a Parkway rules course when I did traction also.
There's, if you believe what they've said, to be no more BTM Mainline trainees. Only spm.

There's also a decent length list of qualified drivers waiting for start dates and interviews. The first sign of new trainees would be these guys and girls being brought in to the business

We started training two weeks ago, there's eight of us on our course. Classroom size appears to be the main limitation, as all the tables have to be suitably spaced. On the occasions GWR are arranging taxis for us, it's one taxi per candidate, we're not allowed to share due to Covid. Think things will be very slow-moving for the forseeable from what we've all been told :(

jacey

i think for those of us in talent pools its important to remain positive but also to not put your life on hold. With GWR you have 5 years in the pool which is a very long time most people have said 1 year in the pool so far so you still have 4 years to get that call! its a long time be positive sit back relax and hope for the best.

you will always get people speculating internal and external for good and bad i wouldn't read to much into it and certainly don't let it dash your hopes.
you will find in this industry everyone knows someone that said something......... or told them this or that.

Stay positive if you don't believe or hope what's the point in anything.

PS no dig to anyone specifically its just the way it is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.