• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Train Manager and Guard Harmonisation

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJ123

Hello

Not sure if this is allowed to be discussed or not , I believe a few people are waiting for training and medicals dates awaiting this to be finalised between the two roles , any info on this would be great or potential time frames etc

Thank you in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lmc1976

I’m waiting for a medical/job offer for a conductor position. My understanding is that the harmonisation of these grades isn’t going to happen, but what this means for people like me (and you I guess?) I have no idea.

TM Hopeful

I had my medical last week and was told that this wasn’t happening as it currently stands.

TQ Hopeful

I’m waiting for a medical/job offer for a conductor position. My understanding is that the harmonisation of these grades isn’t going to happen, but what this means for people like me (and you I guess?) I have no idea.
This is very much still happening subject to agreement with Union, Members and management. They will struggle to run the new timetable in december without it. However i'm not sure how accurate this is but we have been told all further guard courses are on hold until it's resolved.

Lmc1976

This is very much still happening subject to agreement with Union, Members and management. They will struggle to run the new timetable in december without it. However i'm not sure how accurate this is but we have been told all further guard courses are on hold until it's resolved.

I suppose the accuracy depends on who gave you that information? If that’s the case that courses are on hold then I would be happy with that, but it’s the not knowing that is difficult.

TM Hopeful

I suppose the accuracy depends on who gave you that information? If that’s the case that courses are on hold then I would be happy with that, but it’s the not knowing that is difficult.
I contacted recruitment last week after my medical as I’d realised that I had given them the wrong notice period that I had to give my employer, and it was in fact less than I’d told them so said I would be available earlier than initially discussed as they were originally talking about the end of Jan/start of Feb for my course. They said they would like me to start on the December 2nd course now, but haven’t had it in writing as yet, so I think it’s a case of watch this space as to whether the courses are still going ahead or not.

Lmc1976

I guess every depot is different. My only real concern is that while I am on hold pending vacancies that this has a time period which may expire and I will almost be back to square one again if I haven’t been offered a position within a certain timeframe.

Nicbetyy

I give a polite email last week to check if there’s any info . I’ve been made redundant so when I was told I was successful but might be 9 month wait I’ve started to apply for temp jobs ( or my redundancy money becomes my wages ) I’ve secured a contact until the end of December . GWR email said they were waiting for sign off .

PJ123

Thank you for everybody's input , it might be a case of just sit tight and wait until it gets resolved internally, I have the feeling it wont be until the new year which isn't necessarily a bad thing for me, I will be absoultely over the moon once a formal offer comes through !

Samrobson

Same here ... told it’s on hold but how long for no indication at all ..... tbh I don’t care what contract I’ll be on .... I’ve so mentally moved out of my old job lol !

Samrobson

I give a polite email last week to check if there’s any info . I’ve been made redundant so when I was told I was successful but might be 9 month wait I’ve started to apply for temp jobs ( or my redundancy money becomes my wages ) I’ve secured a contact until the end of December . GWR email said they were waiting for sign off .

I never get a reply to any emails I’ve sent !

TM Hopeful

That’s great news May I ask when you were given you’re offer? Mine was July 5 th
As in conditional offer of the job? Was at the start of September and medical was booked in straight away.
To be honest, I’ve obviously no way of knowing whether the person I spoke to in Occupational Health has the full story etc but they just said it’s not going through presently and didn’t go into anymore detail.

TM Hopeful

Got confirmation of start date in the first week of December yesterday, I’m TM at Paddington so it would seem that courses are still running (well until I hear otherwise anyway!!)

Nicbetyy

Got confirmation of start date in the first week of December yesterday, I’m TM at Paddington so it would seem that courses are still running (well until I hear otherwise anyway!!)
Brilliant news ! Keep us updated on how training looks . I’m hoping to get a start date for January :)

PJ123

Congratulations I bet your dead happy with that ! Keeping my fingers crossed for some more details before the new year

TM Hopeful

Yes I feel very fortunate that it’s all happened pretty quickly for me from start to finish after reading some of the stories on here! Looking forward to swapping wings for wheels after 22 years in the sky! Good luck to all of those still waiting for news, hope you hear something soon!

Gavlaar

Yes I feel very fortunate that it’s all happened pretty quickly for me from start to finish after reading some of the stories on here! Looking forward to swapping wings for wheels after 22 years in the sky! Good luck to all of those still waiting for news, hope you hear something soon!

Ah that's interesting! I left flying 18 months ago and joined the railway straight away...a different TOC...I've been given a training course for December too, for Paddington TM. I started GWR process in June, but because of work clashes, I didn't attend the second assessment day until last week where i was offered a start date on the way home from the assessment centre. It seems to depend on which depot you've applied for as to how quickly you will start.

TM Hopeful

Ah that's interesting! I left flying 18 months ago and joined the railway straight away...a different TOC...I've been given a training course for December too, for Paddington TM. I started GWR process in June, but because of work clashes, I didn't attend the second assessment day until last week where i was offered a start date on the way home from the assessment centre. It seems to depend on which depot you've applied for as to how quickly you will start.

Are you starting on December 2nd? If so, see you there!!

Status
Not open for further replies.