• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Train manager recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesdude11

Hi,

I have applied for the role of train manager with GWR. I have passed intial application screening and all online tests and have now been asked to undergo a telephone interview. I wanted to ask if anyone would know what this would involve, the types of questions they may ask and any advice. I would also like to know the salary for a train manager with GWR as it is not advertised on the job description.

Thanks for your help

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BestWestern

Established Member
Additonal payments for sundays worked (approx £23 p/h), weekday rest days worked and any incidental overtime incurred (rate the same), plus commission on ticket sales. Circa £40k fairly easily obtainable, more if you're dedicated! :D

GMCK

Bit late to the party here...

I have a telephone interview for the Train Manager position next week, can anybody share any useful tips at all?

Cheers!

PudseyBearHST

Bit late to the party here...

I have a telephone interview for the Train Manager position next week, can anybody share any useful tips at all?

Cheers!

Hi, I'm guessing you've applied for the role at either Gloucester or Worcester. I applied and had a telephone interview for the TM job at London Paddington about 1.5 months ago. The questions they ask you are fairly generic such as "Give an example of when you .... " and the main areas they focus on are customer service (obviously), leadership, motivation for the job- i.e. why you do you want to be a TM, Team-work, challenges you have had to face and how you overcame them particular in regards to working with colleagues, etc.... There are no surprising questions to be honest. My interview lasted for exactly 25 minutes (if I remember correctly).

Good Luck for the role! And by the way in case you're wondering, I failed and was quite disappointed because I really wanted to take the HSTs to retirement and probably will never get an opportunity again (although I've applied to VTEC :) ). But to be honest, my answers to the telephone interview were pretty pathetic because I'm only 19 (18 at the time) and I've never worked before so my answers all came from my time at School and Volunteering events I've done... Well thats my moaning over.

Oh and GWR are very quick so you should get the result to the telephone interview within a week. Best of Luck mate and remember to be confident because your quality of speech is also examined in the telephone interview!

Last edited:

GMCK

Hi, I'm guessing you've applied for the role at either Gloucester or Worcester. I applied and had a telephone interview for the TM job at London Paddington about 1.5 months ago. The questions they ask you are fairly generic such as "Give an example of when you .... " and the main areas they focus on are customer service (obviously), leadership, motivation for the job- i.e. why you do you want to be a TM, Team-work, challenges you have had to face and how you overcame them particular in regards to working with colleagues, etc.... There are no surprising questions to be honest. My interview lasted for exactly 25 minutes (if I remember correctly).

Good Luck for the role! And by the way in case you're wondering, I failed and was quite disappointed because I really wanted to take the HSTs to retirement and probably will never get an opportunity again (although I've applied to VTEC :) ). But to be honest, my answers to the telephone interview were pretty pathetic because I'm only 19 (18 at the time) and I've never worked before so my answers all came from my time at School and Volunteering events I've done... Well thats my moaning over.

Oh and GWR are very quick so you should get the result to the telephone interview within a week. Best of Luck mate and remember to be confident because your quality of speech is also examined in the telephone interview!

That's correct- well I've applied for Conductor at Gloucester & TM at Worcester. I am hoping they can consolidate both jobs into one interview as they are very similar from what I gather.

Thanks for the heads up. I don't suppose you know what follows the telephone interview do you? I've heard off some people they do put you through a Stage 2 assessment & group assessments, and I've heard off others you go straight through to the interview? (I've already passed the usual Group Bourdon, Verbal Reasoning & Ticket Selling/Checking).

PudseyBearHST

That's correct- well I've applied for Conductor at Gloucester & TM at Worcester. I am hoping they can consolidate both jobs into one interview as they are very similar from what I gather.

Thanks for the heads up. I don't suppose you know what follows the telephone interview do you? I've heard off some people they do put you through a Stage 2 assessment & group assessments, and I've heard off others you go straight through to the interview? (I've already passed the usual Group Bourdon, Verbal Reasoning & Ticket Selling/Checking).

I would imagine that you would only get one telephone interview especially since the jobs are not recruited locally.

I see the confusion in your second paragraph... an interview does not usually take place but after the telephone interview, if they want to know more about you before deciding whether or not to invite you to an Assessments day then they will invite you to a face to face interview. Everyone who is successful will take part in an Assessments day. Just to clarify a face to face I nterview is in no way superior or a substitute to the Assessments day !!! They may choose to invite some for a face to face interview before the Assessments while others go straight to the Assessment day- almost opposite of what you said

Last edited:

LittleMi

GWR use SCAAT test instead of Group Bourdon for TMs

NX

You won't be able to undertake one interview and be considered for both roles as they are part of different divisions within the company.

Gloucester Conductor is classed as West ie, DMU local work and a 4K less salary, and Worcester TM is what they call HSS ie, HST work.

If there are both Conductor and Train Manager jobs at the same depot it has been known for unsuccessful applicants for TM to be offered Conductor jobs, this is usually due to the TM job being given to a Conductor.

You should also be aware GWR see Conductor to Train Manager as a promotion, should you wish to move between the two you will have to undertake the phone interview and interview/group event again.

Good luck (former GWR West Conductor)

PudseyBearHST

You won't be able to undertake one interview and be considered for both roles as they are part of different divisions within the company.

Gloucester Conductor is classed as West ie, DMU local work and a 4K less salary, and Worcester TM is what they call HSS ie, HST work.

If there are both Conductor and Train Manager jobs at the same depot it has been known for unsuccessful applicants for TM to be offered Conductor jobs, this is usually due to the TM job being given to a Conductor.

You should also be aware GWR see Conductor to Train Manager as a promotion, should you wish to move between the two you will have to undertake the phone interview and interview/group event again.

Good luck (former GWR West Conductor)

Thanks for clarifying that and also one other point I would like to add to yours... I actually heard about a guy who applied for Train Manager for GWR but was rejected although GWR said they would offer him a Conductor's job- very similar to what you describe. Only one catch... he would have to wait until a Conductor's vacancy pops up which could be months if not at least a year.

GMCK

Thanks chaps.

All the above is very helpful and much appreciated. Looks like I should really push the Conductor position then as I have telephone interviews for both, one day after the other this week in fact, just different depots.

Can you offer any tips for the telephone interview? I've been brushing up on relevant experience (safety related, customer service & undesirable situations), and a bit of the routes, stock, company etc...

Thanks again.

suzanne pudney

Hi guys!

I've just got through to the assessment day for GWR its all new now i know, however can anyone give me a point in the right direction for where to find more test papers to practice?
cheers :)

paulwestwood

Hi guys!

I've just got through to the assessment day for GWR its all new now i know, however can anyone give me a point in the right direction for where to find more test papers to practice?
cheers :)

You shouldn't really need anymore Test Papers as the practice ones they send through to you straight forward so just keep going through them until you are satisfied with what is expected. Test day they are looking for accuracy and consistency. Just keep a constant pace and if your not sure of anything make sure you speak up and ask for clarification.

suzanne pudney

You shouldn't really need anymore Test Papers as the practice ones they send through to you straight forward so just keep going through them until you are satisfied with what is expected. Test day they are looking for accuracy and consistency. Just keep a constant pace and if your not sure of anything make sure you speak up and ask for clarification.

Thank you so much! I feel pretty confident with the tests I’ve completed so thanks for that info! Appreciated!

CharlesR

Hello,

Would it be a dive in the deep end applying for Train Manager after doing the Operations Apprenticeship with GWR?

This is my goal job (in a sense) and just wondering the best ways to go for it.

Thanks

tiptoptaff

Established Member
We have a 19yo West Conductor, who's an ex-apprentice. So it's not unreasonable or indeed unheard of. Your attitude during your apprenticeship will have a huge impact on what doors are open to you at the end of it, more so than it being an apprenticeship.

CharlesR

We have a 19yo West Conductor, who's an ex-apprentice. So it's not unreasonable or indeed unheard of. Your attitude during your apprenticeship will have a huge impact on what doors are open to you at the end of it, more so than it being an apprenticeship.
Alright, thanks. I would put a large amount of effort into whatever path I go down because I am eager to get into the railways

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Best of luck whatever you do. The apprenticeships are good programmes. The opportunity is there to go on and progress. The "operations" apprenticeship is more aimed at front line roles, whereas the Operations one I did (with my previous ToC) was aimed at the Resources/Control/Performance side of Ops.
If the latter is your interest, then I'd recommend the Aspire Management apprenticeship over the Ops one, as all control grades are MS grade

CharlesR

Best of luck whatever you do. The apprenticeships are good programmes. The opportunity is there to go on and progress. The "operations" apprenticeship is more aimed at front line roles, whereas the Operations one I did (with my previous ToC) was aimed at the Resources/Control/Performance side of Ops.
If the latter is your interest, then I'd recommend the Aspire Management apprenticeship over the Ops one, as all control grades are MS grade
Alright, thanks. I did have a little look into the Aspire one however I decided that the Operations one sounds more for me. If anything I am just quite excited to start my trip into the railways.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I’ve heard there is a ongoing process to harmonise West and HSS into a all new “Onboard Train Manager” role, does anyone know anything about this ?

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Rumours and speculation. Something was afoot but they've concentrated on drivers for now

paulwestwood

I’ve heard there is a ongoing process to harmonise West and HSS into a all new “Onboard Train Manager” role, does anyone know anything about this ?
There is a package being worked on, but would need to be voted in by employees in the grades concerned and at the the moment it’s for there consideration and not to be posted on forums. Please be aware new starters would automatically be on the revised terms and conditions. So it may be possible that even if advertising for positions now you may not actually get offered start dates until all has been agreed at Company/Union and Employee level. I know it’s not much but hope it helps you a bit.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
I thought they'd binned it after the TMs were writing silly figures on the forms!

rob wright

Hi all my first post here.
I have the 2nd assessment day and interview for great western tm coming up soon, any pointers or tips would be welcome I have read some but don't know how up to date the info would be.

Many thaanks

Status
Not open for further replies.